PDA

View Full Version : quicktime slowing my Firefox/Mozilla browser

aceman
24-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Every time my son loads "quicktime" so as he can watch small movie clips, it takes over the image downloading of my browser and seriously slows it down at certain sites ( sky, nzoom). The only way I know how to fix it is to remove "Quicktime" in the Add/remove programme section of the control panel. After doing that Firefox uses it's own image downloader.
Is there an easier way I can stop Quicktime from taking over my image downloading when surfing the net?

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Hi Aceman,

During installation of Quicktime (You'll have to do it yourself) - Set the filetype associations to only the relevant associations, and not images!

Chill.

Laura
25-11-2004, 01:48 AM
I find Quicktime keeps reinstalling itself in my Startup with monotonous regularity at the least excuse - though rarely used.

Can't hurt to check it out there & delete it frequently, as there's no point in having it using resources by constantly running in the background.
It will front up quickly enough indeed when really called upon to do something... .

johnboy
25-11-2004, 07:10 AM
The best thing to do is uninstall QuickTime and get the
QuickTime alternative (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm) Which works much better and does'nt try to take over.
hth

aceman
10-12-2004, 12:10 AM
The "Quicktime Alternative" worked a treat.
Thanks to Johnboy and the other posters

aceman
10-12-2004, 12:14 AM
The "Quicktime Alternative" worked a treat.
Thanks to Johnboy and the other posters