PDA

View Full Version : 7 Dying Hardrives

the highlander
24-11-2004, 07:48 PM
A friend of mine who owns a comercial green house business. Has a had a rash recently of hard drive failures (all new drives of varying capacity and make). One machine (P4 2800 on an asus P4P 800) has had 3 new hardrives in three weeks. The last time this happened we checked his slave drive (also new) and it was failed by a seatools diagnostic. Getting a bit suspicious we tested his second machine ( which sits right beside it and bang hard drive failure imminent)
Getting even more paranoid we went to his glasshouse ( 100 metres away) to test his work comp and same story with its back up system. Not total failures but errors detected which warranted replacement of the hardrives.
He had just built a system for a family member and we took off to his place and tested his system---- same story.
He had a power board friend install a monitoring meter on the mains and nothing unsual was dectected.
There are no other symptoms of damage , we have't had lightning storms, they are a variety of brands (samsung, western didgital and seagate).
Haven't got the exact error messages with me but most relate to to unreadable sectors or corrupt file systems due to imminent failure.
Any clues
Ps
no surge guards installed, a variety of power supplies (ac bell, I cute, one hyena) No electrical devices nearby cutting in with heavy power draws.
Nothing else electrical affected.

drb1
24-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Are there not some viri that can give/cause these results.

High voltage spikes?

Corrupt files?

Have you tried backing up/copying the newest drive, reformatting and then retesting, three weeks, back to supplier, maybe some answer will come from their tests?

D.

the highlander
24-11-2004, 08:01 PM
If they are high voltage they are not killing anything else in the immediate vicinity.
>Have you tried backing up/copying the newest drive, reformatting and then retesting,<
Did that killdisked, reformatted and loaded---still stuffed.

Virus is something that didnt occur to me but would be unlikely as he is paranoid about security and updates. But hell of lot better suggestion that what i can come up with.

Spacemannz
24-11-2004, 08:04 PM
The Bloodhound post in here, that I replied to damages hdd's. BUT not NT systems.

the highlander
24-11-2004, 08:07 PM
All comps running xp with at least service pack 1

tweak\'e
24-11-2004, 08:14 PM
the other comman killer is heat and dust.

check the case temps.

btw what are the voltage levels like? the hyena and icute have crap power supplies which could contribute to the problem.

drb1
24-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Highlander,

Take the new one back, see what they say?

D.

drb1
24-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Static?

D.

the highlander
24-11-2004, 08:20 PM
No he takes basic static precautions when installing anything and you would have to be electro man to be that unlucky in frying 7 drives spaced over several weeks and in one case 5 months

the highlander
24-11-2004, 08:30 PM
The majority of the cases are decently ventilated. His main rig (the major eater of drives) is well blown. So no chance of heat being the problem in that one.
>btw what are the voltage levels like? the hyena and icute have crap power supplies which could contribute to the problem.<
That is something that occurred to me but over such a varied range of cases ?
Granted Hyena is less than thrilling but Icute, while not high class, powers about 25 of the workstations at my work and none of them have ever given any trouble that corresponds to his problems.

Will get the voltage tested on the main problem maker though.
Ta

the highlander
24-11-2004, 08:32 PM
>Take the new one back, see what they say?<
He has done that so often lately that he will lose credibilty and this is a decent honest store he gets them from.
I know they just RMA but at some stage questions are going to get asked.

tweak\'e
24-11-2004, 09:22 PM
at the risk of sounding rude.....

>The majority of the cases are decently ventilated. His main rig (the major eater of drives) is well blown. So no chance of heat being the problem in that one.

yeah right. check the temps. theres been a few cases here of incorrect fan setup causeing overheating drives.

>Granted Hyena is less than thrilling but Icute, while not high class, powers about 25 of the workstations at my work and none of them have ever given any trouble that corresponds to his problems.

depends a lot on the load (cpu, amount of drives, useage) and quality of input power but icute are known to die fairly regulary.

the highlander
24-11-2004, 10:12 PM
>yeah right. check the temps. theres been a few cases here of incorrect fan setup causeing overheating drives.<

checked it
Front input 120 mm blowing over drives
2 rear output 80mm
side mounted fan 80 mm
will check other comps

tweak\'e
24-11-2004, 10:28 PM
temps dude temps !