PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic- DVD Zone Problem

Big_Mountain
07-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Firstly sorry for posting thread off the topic

Anyway I have a DVD Player, Philips, recently bought from Asia and it can play all the DVDs I bought back from Asia fine but yesterday I got out "The day after tomorrow dvd" from video ezy and it can't play it.

It says something like zone error, I'm sure it's a multi zone dvd, I was told that it needs to be configured to be multi zone, anyone know how to do this?

Model: DVD 580M/931
Product Number: KQ 01031400 4498

Thanks for any help

jockT
07-11-2004, 04:57 PM
I have a philips 625K this might help, the book says:
1 Press tray open
2 Enter 9999 SLOWLY
3 Press 0 (country code)
4 Close the tray
I stress slowly and it may take a few tries (the guy in the shop took 4). It's all in the way you hold your tongue

Big_Mountain
07-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi, do you mean the tray as the tray that hold the DVD, well my DVD doesn't have a tray, it just has a thin slot which the disk goes straight in and straight out, if you know what I mean. Also do you mean enter 9999 and country code with the remote control directly at the DVD Player?

Spacemannz
07-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Sounds like mine. I have a Philips BUT not the same model (731/931 or something).

It is multizone, BUT it doesnt / cant read DVD-R or SVCD lol. Whereas the cheaper 5 DVD / stereo does. And play BOTH formats.

And its meant to be firmware upgradable. Would be great to find the flash software for it! Philips were of no help. Send an email. U never get a reply!

Which might fix it. So, it can read SVCD and DVD-R disks.

Scouse
07-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi Big Mountain. I too have a recently purchased Philips DVD player.
The manual contained the following:
>How to make your DVD player play discs from different regions. Before you begin please ensure that you have connected your DVD player to your TV and both have the power turned on. Once you have connected your TV please follow the instructions below:
. Press "system menu" on the remote contreol.
. Using the left/right (< >) keys, select the preference page.
. Press 1 3 5 5 6 6 in sequence.
. Use the up/down keys to select the region.
. Change to region '0'.
. Press "system menu" to return to normal operations.
You have now completed this process.

Hope this helps.

Big_Mountain
07-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi Scouse, thanks for your information, I can get to the preferences fine but instead of pressing left and right keys I need to press up and down keys to get there. Anyway pressing 135566 in sequence doesn't help, but however there is an option which I can choose from Multi, NTSC and PAL, is this it? I chose multi, it may have been on Multi in the first place anyway but I chose it. Now I just got to get a disk to try it out.

Chilling_Silence
07-11-2004, 07:45 PM
No, that will only set the Video Output mode.
You want to set it to PAL.

See the posting from the user FrontPage, here (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=1900&Search=Search&&orderby=Comments)

Cheers

Chill.

Big_Mountain
07-11-2004, 08:01 PM
OK I will change it back to PAL, but anyway where in the link does it tell you how to change it to multi zone, mean while I'm trying to find it.

godfather
07-11-2004, 08:17 PM
You search that site for YOUR make model of DVD, and there you find all the comments.

The bit you want is:
[i]
" Press the eject button on the player (the remote has none).
Then press the numbers 1,3,5,6... and "region code xxxx" shows up on the screen.
Press 0, then "stop" around 5 times and the region code's x's change to a zero... giving you a region- free player.
You may need to input this as the player turns itself off, but what the hay.
It's better than searching for a region- free player to purchase. "

Big_Mountain
08-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks Godfather, I found that bit too, I tried but it doesn't really work, or maybe I don't understand it properly, I don't understand the ... bit after 1, 3, 5, 6. What does the ... bit mean?

godfather
08-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Nothing, as I see it. Its a set of full stops that indicate somthing follows, such as the display appears on the screen. You should not try and interpret things so literally?

Press 1, 3, 5, 6 and then the menu should pop up on the screen.

If it does not work, then you may have different firmware. Multizoning is not legit in some countries so there could be different firmware revisions.

Given that multi-zone players are available here for $80 its not worth a lot of effort?

Erbaz89
10-05-2005, 10:43 PM
I Have a Philips dvd Player 625k.My dvd lock Please tell me a password of Philips dvd.

hotkiwi
10-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Often it suffices to google the model of the player and the word zonefree.

Cheers

----------------------------------------------------------
**** happens, but its ********s producing it
----------------------------------------------------------