PDA

View Full Version : Virus? Weird Computer Behavour

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Morning all,

Got up to do some study this morning and to stop myself from being distracted by games by using my desktop I turned on my laptop to use the bestchoice.che.auckland.ac.nz chemistry site. I got online and updated my norton files as I don't often use my laptop. All was fine for 10 mins and then the computer just locked up, had to hold down power key for 10 secs turned on again went online 1 min later locked computer repeated this about 3 times then rebooted but unplugged modem first all was well until plugged in modem and went online then crashed computer. have restarted without modem and I'm running a full virus scan not sure if its just another xp virus or what it is using my moms 98se computer too scared to use xp on my desktop anyone else having any problems, alsoI am running the latest version of zone alarm and sp2 with all the latest updates, the processor is 2.8 P4 with 256mb ram, acer travel mate 252elc

Spacemannz
23-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Get Spybot , Adaware, or hijackthis. Scan it for spyware.

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:26 AM
can't got much bigger problem now...went back upstairs to check on the virus scan, entire computer screen was blank but the leds were still on, held power switch till it turned off. turned back on nothing no bios just a flashing curser at top to screen, turned off turned back on could instantly tell that the bios has been reset I have a acer flash screen instead of text readout from bios then booted but upon booting not even going online the computer locked up, I think I might have to restore..weird though have hardly used the computer it is only 5 weeks old, won it in a university competition

Spacemannz
23-10-2004, 10:34 AM
I would once u can get it to go, or try in safe mode. go to start/run type msconfig.. look under startup. Tell us whats in there. It might be something there running on bootup, thats stuffing things up.

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:36 AM
hello hello, rebooted computer again launched ad aware and are now scaning the computer using 26/09/04 files too scared to go online...when computer booted a application appared in the taskbar no title and just a empty window for the icon then vanished all within about 3 secs, okay this is getting stranger computer is not connected to any network or anything ad aware scan just aborted randomly just set it going again

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:37 AM
> I would once u can get it to go, or try in safe mode.
> go to start/run type msconfig.. look under startup.
> Tell us whats in there. It might be something there
> running on bootup, thats stuffing things up.
>

Yeay I will try that in a minute if this stuffs up again

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:46 AM
ad aware found nothing not even a cookie now running spy bot computer hasn't locked up yet....

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:48 AM
spybots found nothing going to run virus scan again this time closely watching it

Spacemannz
23-10-2004, 10:49 AM
It sounds like theres something nasty on it, if a window appears and disappears in a few secs. you can either do what was said previously, or go to start/run and type regedit.

Then go here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

And here

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

Whatever is stuffing up things. maybe under these two. And also check whats under runonce/ under the first one and runonce under the 2nd.

metla
23-10-2004, 10:50 AM
To hazard a guess,You have a nasty virus that is causing nortons to lock up everytime it stumbles across it,the constant hard resets will also have the effect of damaging the harddrive and system files.

I would recomend slaving the drive to another comp and doing a virus scan,Possibly with the trial version of nod32......

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:53 AM
norton has locked up while scanning a powerpoint in my documents I know that it shouldn't have a virus in it used the same presentation on other computers will restart into safe mode

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:55 AM
> To hazard a guess,You have a nasty virus that is
> causing nortons to lock up everytime it stumbles
> across it,the constant hard resets will also have the
> effect of damaging the harddrive and system files.
>
> I would recomend slaving the drive to another comp
> and doing a virus scan,Possibly with the trial
> version of nod32......

how do you do that with a laptop that is brand new?

Brad H
23-10-2004, 10:58 AM
went into safe mode clicked the okay button for running in safe mode and the screen went blank nothing working had to hard turn off again

Brad H
23-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Now when I turn it on nothing comes onto the screen the computer fans go mad switch off switch back on works fine this has happened the last two times that I have restarted

metla
23-10-2004, 11:01 AM
> > To hazard a guess,You have a nasty virus that is
> > causing nortons to lock up everytime it stumbles
> > across it,the constant hard resets will also have
> the
> > effect of damaging the harddrive and system files.
> >
> > I would recomend slaving the drive to another comp
> > and doing a virus scan,Possibly with the trial
> > version of nod32......
>
> how do you do that with a laptop that is brand new?

You remove the drive and mount it in a desktop system using an adaptor,No exactly recomended that you disasemble a brand new unit though,But the HD should be easily acesable.

metla
23-10-2004, 11:01 AM
> Now when I turn it on nothing comes onto the screen
> the computer fans go mad switch off switch back on
> works fine this has happened the last two times that
> I have restarted

Send it back under warrenty.

Brad H
23-10-2004, 11:05 AM
yeah but because i won it it will have to go back to the uni and then they will have to send it away and if it is a virus is that not covered...also would doing a system recovery work using the recovery console?

Brad H
23-10-2004, 11:07 AM
okay got into safe mode at last scanning now lets see if this works

metla
23-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Your a Uni student and you won it?

Hells bells man,do the right thing.

Swap it for beer and have a 3 day party.

You could try the System restore,It never works when you need it though.....Cant hurt to have a stab.

Brad H
23-10-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm actually a year 13 student went to the massey open day at albany and won by just turning up...

virus scan has crashed the computer in safe mode scanning C:\BOOK this time so i will have to restore...

next year I will do a bsc in computer science and electronics.

Brad H
23-10-2004, 11:24 AM
****!!!! ............. put in restore cds got 10% through and the computer locked I don't think this is a virus it seems more hardware???

metla
23-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Send it back,Its obviously getting worse rather then better.

What brand is it?

Brad H
23-10-2004, 11:31 AM
acer, yeah I have information from the company that sold it to the uni might contact them on tuesday, can't get passed the bios now the entire thing is crashing straight away

Murray P
23-10-2004, 12:11 PM
IMHO it's not a virus or, if it is you also have a hardware problem. It's a rare virus that will affect the computer before windows loads. Could be a BIOS or boot sector virus of course which are nasty or one of the adware/spyware loggers that writes to a protected area of the hard drive, but if your having trouble before the hard drive is active spread your search a little wider.

Does the the lappy have a diagnostic routine run from the BIOS?

Cheers Murray P

Prescott
23-10-2004, 01:52 PM
what about the possibilty of a faulty RAM stick??, how many sticks is in it?

Graham L
23-10-2004, 02:30 PM
It's best to take a new item back to the supplier if it doesn't work. It's new and hardly used, so it's in a the early-failure mode.;-) If computers work for the first few hours they are likely to run for a long time. But failures do occur in the first few hours.

mark c
23-10-2004, 05:09 PM
*bump*

This an interesting one. I want to know what's going to happen next.:D

Brad H
24-10-2004, 12:49 AM
> what about the possibilty of a faulty RAM stick??,
> how many sticks is in it?

mate you deserve a beer.

Got home from work and checked back here, faulty ram made me think opened up the back cover on the laptop ram cover found the ram stick to be about 2mm further out on the right side grabbed my wrist strap and pulled the stick out stuck it back in, all is fine, apart from the fact that I had corrupted my entire disk so had to completely rebuild computer...if only I had thought of this this morning...oh well at least it is working again. might get a tech to do a check of the hardware to make sure that there is nothing wrong. thanks for all the help everyone.

:-)

Prescott
24-10-2004, 11:30 AM
> > what about the possibilty of a faulty RAM stick??,
> > how many sticks is in it?
>
>
> mate you deserve a beer.
>
> Got home from work and checked back here, faulty ram
> made me think opened up the back cover on the laptop
> ram cover found the ram stick to be about 2mm further
> out on the right side grabbed my wrist strap and
> pulled the stick out stuck it back in, all is fine,
> apart from the fact that I had corrupted my entire
> disk so had to completely rebuild computer...if only
> I had thought of this this morning...oh well at least
> it is working again. might get a tech to do a check
> of the hardware to make sure that there is nothing
> wrong. thanks for all the help everyone.
>
> :-)

ooh yeah, i got one right, :D dont forget the other posters that put in their suggestions..... now for that beer......:D

RoIdY
24-10-2004, 03:11 PM
paste a full log of hijackthis and maybe someone will know what the problems consists of.With a log that way there is something to start from.
Hijackthis has a log of running files and files that run at startup (and other nasties that may lie in there)

Prescott
24-10-2004, 06:15 PM
the problem has been solved :D

Brad H
26-10-2004, 03:00 PM
found out what may have caused the problem using the laptop on the train may have made the ram slip