PDA

View Full Version : Setting a default program

01-09-1998, 11:17 AM
I play around a lot with graphics programs and have a recurring problem. When I load a new one it sometimes takes over as the default for my machine. Whereabouts do you look to replace the default graphics program? At the moment the only way I've been able to do it is to reinstall the program I want to be the default. When I uninstall the offending program it does not uninstall it as the default.

Joe Blogs
04-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Sorry I didn't answer this a bit earlier, but I was a bit busy.

Have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307859&product=winxp

pheonix
04-06-2005, 06:25 PM
You must have been real busy, the original post was from nearly 7 years ago.. :eek:

Joe Blogs
04-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Like I said, "I was a bit busy".

My abacus was playing up and needed reformatting.

In fact at that time I had never owned or even used a computer. :dogeye:

CorbinH
23-06-2005, 05:05 PM
ok im gonna try to help you...

first open "my computer"
clcik on "tools"
then "folder options"
then the "file types" tab
then find the file extension your tryin to change what opens it (example ".bmp")
then click on it
at the bottom of the screen it should say opens with-" " then there should be a change button click the change button then select the program from the list then hit ok (make sure the always use the selected program box is checked)

if the program isnt in the list then clikc browse and find the .exe or what ever file runs hte program your tryin to use and select it

did that help???

Jen
23-06-2005, 05:11 PM
did that help???That might of done if you posted that back in 1998 when the question was raised (check posting dates).

This is an old thread that a previous person deliberately dragged up for who knows what reason ...

Thanks for trying to help anyway, and Welcome to PressF1 :)