PDA

View Full Version : Online Shopping Experiences

ApeNz
29-09-2004, 11:15 PM
I was wondering how people like New Zealands online retailers , how bout you share some stories with others and give any tips for those who may turn to the web in futute times

ApeNz
29-09-2004, 11:17 PM
spelling mistake - future not futute

45South
30-09-2004, 07:35 AM
I have found all the retailers I have dealt with so far excellent
I buy a lot of computer gear online from many different sources & haven't had a problem in the 3yrs I've been doing it.
If there is one gripe I have, it is the time it can take for the goods to arrive sometimes.
But all in all, very happy so far, no-one I can slag off yet
Best 2 I have dealt with so far are Ascent & ETC

tminus
30-09-2004, 09:25 AM
I have dealt with Ascent only, was a good experience, no probs.

:)

theother1
30-09-2004, 10:58 AM
no-one likes a smart arse ape.

theother1
30-09-2004, 11:01 AM
I would like to see people selling online pricing at under retail price. I have checked out various consumer items and in a lot of cases the products are dearer than you would have to pay if you went to the local outlet.
The costs of trading online must be less than running a retail store and prices should reflect that.

Chris Randal
30-09-2004, 11:01 AM
> no-one likes a smart arse ape.

What brought that on?

R2x1
30-09-2004, 11:08 AM
>What brought that on?

Full moon? :D

ApeNz
30-09-2004, 11:12 AM
how am i a smart arse

metla
30-09-2004, 11:36 AM
> I would like to see people selling online pricing at
> under retail price. I have checked out various
> consumer items and in a lot of cases the products are
> dearer than you would have to pay if you went to the
> local outlet.
> The costs of trading online must be less than running
> a retail store and prices should reflect that.

The widespread selling of computer hardware from homes has caused the prices of all items to drop to the point its barely worth bothering to sell them,its certainly not worth stocking them,in most cases the margin of profit is a few dollars,Selling a 120gb hd and getting 12 dollars from the exercise is not a good feeling,I suggest you enjoy the fact that no matter what your purchasing your getting it at the expense of the retailers livlihood and getting it for as low a price as its ever going to be.

If prices dropped any lower then there would be no markup at all.

nzStan
30-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Exactly what Metla said.

I procure a lot of IT equipment for the company and my usual relationship with my vendors are 'sharpen your pencil' but not to the extend you have to starve your children.

You have to make sure your vendor is still around in years to come, and for that to happen he has to have realistic mark ups (note realistic not exorbitant).

Re online experience - I found that nothing beats good old face to face or even phone calls. But I have on several occasions bought from websites where their shop is actually not in Auckland. For example I bought on-line several Canon digital cameras from a shop in Gore because they had the best price. And the equipment was couriered to me the next day.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 01:19 PM
I've brought online from Dragon and Ascent. Ascent were awsome and would buy from them again, had a nasty experience with Dragon so choose not to buy from them again.

theother1
30-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Apologies if I am wrong but wasn't it you who called me one yesterday

Susan B
30-09-2004, 01:32 PM
> Apologies if I am wrong but wasn't it you who called me one yesterday

Keep apologising. ;-)

theother1
30-09-2004, 01:32 PM
For a similar thing.

theother1
30-09-2004, 01:33 PM
To you, susan?

Jams
30-09-2004, 01:43 PM
it was me you moron. i said that becuase you were trying to be a funny guy and poking fun at apes spelling of "perfromance".

although i stand corrected. you are no longer a smartass. you have been promoted to a dumbass.

Susan B
30-09-2004, 01:48 PM
I have bought quite a lot of things online from both NZ sites and Ebay but I always try to favour local stores whenever I can. I am lucky that Tastech is one of the cheapest dealers in NZ for computer stuff and as he supplies a good range of products I can nip over to his place to pick things up after ordering by email or phone. His customer service isn't all that great at times but I can handle that.

One thing we have to remember is that if we don't support our local stores who have stock that we can go in and examine, handle, compare, etc then we will be to blame if and when they go under. Comparing certain products like monitors, cameras, etc by peering at pictures and specifications on webpages is not the same as seeing and handling them "in person".

To me, it is better to pay a little more (but not way more) to keep that kind of convenience and it is for that reason that I have bought certain things, such as our digital camera, locally rather than from the cheapest online store.

Susan B
30-09-2004, 01:49 PM
> To you, susan?

No.

Susan B
30-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Jams, pack it in.

Go chill out you lot - if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

ApeNz
30-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I remember that maybe i should have re phased my statment

theother1
30-09-2004, 02:30 PM
apologies to all who need apologising to. Jams, jam it.

Jams
30-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Yea. sweet as.

my bad susan. i apoligize.

nice original play on words theother1.

Raymondo
30-09-2004, 02:59 PM
On the basis that some readers may track thru all the garbage I would add my bit.
Being in the Wairarapa I use online shopping quite a lot. All are generally quite good but my best experience was with QMB Computers in Mt Roskill a few months back when I ordered my Dynalink router. I placed the order in the morning and was able to pay immediately by direct transfer from my bank account. The order was confirmed by lunchtime and the Track and Trace number was entered into my account by mid-afternnon. The router was delivered the following morning.
The best part was that they were the cheapest I was able to find.

ApeNz
30-09-2004, 07:02 PM
I have also used QMB and had a very positive tale to tell - Cheap prices , and extremly fast shipping. Also i brought a HDD from Super Cheap Computers with the same result. However my experience with Styles Pc has not been so great - I ordered a mobo / fans / case from them and as well as taking nearly 2 weeks to arrive the case was a different colour to the one ordered and the same diff with the fans - although they replaed them the time it initially took to arrive was a bit long

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Ascent - excellent - absolutely 100% faultless - I have shopped with them dozens of times for myself and friends.

OEM Auckland - crap - 3 orders, 3 times wrong product shipped. Have a feeling they are trying to get idiots who don't know the difference.

Dragon Christchurch - worse than crap, they couldn't pay me to deal with them again - similar problems as with OEM.

Paradigm PC's - very good.

SmokeCD's - fantastic.

Umm I'm sure there are more.....

ApeNz
30-09-2004, 09:33 PM
There are heaps of online retailers in New Zealand ( Pricespy.co.nz ) backs me up on that one , i think that people have to get more used to buying of the internet for us to see a boom in online shopping - because the suppliers are already there

GraemeP
30-09-2004, 11:26 PM
> how am i a smart arse

Probably theother1 didn't realise you were correcting your own spelling mistake and thought you were correcting someone else - coz that's what I thought to start with ...

Graeme

dannyboy
03-11-2005, 01:54 PM
If you make sure you're dealing with reputable outfits you won't have much trouble imho. Just be sensible. Especially when the store has a brick and mortar presence as well as their online store. Take a punt - make a small purchase to verify their service, or send an email and see how quick the response is. Some larger outfits have trouble with the replies but can still deliver orders ok.

Excellent New Zealand online retailers imho:
- Ascent (computer gear and software) www.ascent.co.nz
- Dick Smith (computer and electronics) www.dse.co.nz - excellent but note often their stores can stock more of a particular range than the site has. I found their site had 2 cordless phones but in the store they had 10x that number!
- Toy Warehouse (the name says it all) www.toywarehouse.co.nz - great new site with a simple buy powerful toy finder.
- Digital Max (print photos online) www.digitalmax.co.nz - great for printing digital photos - especially good as they deliver to your local pharmacy at no cost to you.

This is a small list but I can't think of any others I would be happy to recommend.

JJJJJ
03-11-2005, 02:38 PM
My only complaint is that so many on-line retailers will not accept payment by credit card.
If I've got to go into town and muck around getting money and putting it in their account I might as well try the local shops.
Some banks take up to two days to show the credit and by the time the retailer has satisfied that he's got the money he takes another ccouple of days to send the items. I wont get involed in internet banking.
So I do all my computer shopping with Ascent now. An e-mail today and I've got the items by lunch time tomorrow.

pctek
03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
My only complaint is that so many on-line retailers will not accept payment by credit card.
If I've got to go into town and muck around getting money and putting it in their account I might as well try the local shops.
Some banks take up to two days to show the credit and by the time the retailer has satisfied that he's got the money he takes another ccouple of days to send the items. I wont get involed in internet banking.
So I do all my computer shopping with Ascent now. An e-mail today and I've got the items by lunch time tomorrow.
Because theres no safety for the retailer. I've seen it happen. Not saying YOU are a dodgy credit card but it does happen.

If the person has or uses National bank for instance and deposits the money after 8pm on a Friday then yes it can take 2 days to show up.

I never take 2 days to send anything.
There is phone banking for those who don't like internet banking.

JJJJJ
03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Because theres no safety for the retailer. I've seen it happen. Not saying YOU are a dodgy credit card but it does happen.

If the person has or uses National bank for instance and deposits the money after 8pm on a Friday then yes it can take 2 days to show up.

I never take 2 days to send anything.
There is phone banking for those who don't like internet banking.

Phone Banking. That's a bigger joke than internet banking. How am I supposed to remember user name and password? I don't even know what my password to this forum is. Everytime windows packs a sad I've got to e-mail in and ask what it is.

Shortcircuit
03-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Ascent: the only comp store I've dealt with online, and were excellent.

QMB: Their web site sucks, looks bad, seems to never be updated (or everything is eternally 'out of stock') and you have to view specs in a pop up window...with not much info, prices generally good though. They are just down the road from me, so I check out what I want on the site, phone them to confirm they have it in stock then go get it. Not much service in person at the Mt Roskill branch, just young Asian guys who seem more interested in browsing the web and strange 'chain of command': you say you want to buy something, the young guy asks an older guy who nods, young guy gives you invoice you take to desk where young girl takes money, stamps invoice then gives it back to you so you can go to 'warehouse' window right next to her, ring a bell give invoice to yet another guy who goes away and gets what you've bought. Hilarious if you're in the mood.

My BIG gripe with online comp stores is when they show an item as 'in stock'. You go in to buy it and they go "No we don't keep stock of those...". I wanted to buy some speakers a while back, tried 5 different stores in Auckland with the same result. A really good way to piss off potential customers.

General online stores in NZ are dismal, at best most of them just use a web presence as a teaser... probably just so that the can say they are on the bandwagon and have a web site that does nothing.

Pato
03-11-2005, 04:13 PM
I have also found Ascent, Digitalmax, and Flashcards excellent. No trouble using Credit Card either. It is good to hear who not to deal with. Thanks.

Cicero
04-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Some banks take up to two days to show the credit and by the time the retailer has satisfied that he's got the money he takes another couple of days to send the items. I wont get involved in internet banking.
On your recommendation Jack,I have just ordered a Canon pixa 4200 printer from ascent.
We will see how it goes.

JJJJJ
04-11-2005, 08:51 AM
On your recommendation Jack,I have just ordered a Canon pixa 4200 printer from ascent.
We will see how it goes.

And I have just ordered ordered an X800XL video card from them and have received their acknowledgement.

Pretty fast.

Metla
04-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Still, You would be up poo-creek without a paddle if you didn't manage to get good advice from the people at this forum.

Hell, if you had purchased from a real store you probally would have saved thousands that was otherwise wasted on poor choices and your own meddling.

JJJJJ
04-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Still, You would be up poo-creek without a paddle if you didn't manage to get good advice from the people at this forum.

Hell, if you had purchased from a real store you probally would have saved thousands that was otherwise wasted on poor choices and your own meddling.

1 x Gigabyte GV-R80L256V, Radeon X800 XL, 256MB, DDR3, AGP, TV out, DVI
@ $696.71 each ($619.30 excl GST each)
*** Shipping today

Is this a poor choice? Ipicked it on the advice from the experts on Press F1. :)

pctek
04-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Ascent is good but not even they always have something in stock. It took me 3 weeks to get an anti-static mat from them...with many emails back and forth as they kept changing the ETA.
As a lot of stores do, they sometimes ship direct from the supplier too.

Metla
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
1 x Gigabyte GV-R80L256V, Radeon X800 XL, 256MB, DDR3, AGP, TV out, DVI
@ $696.71 each ($619.30 excl GST each)
*** Shipping today

Is this a poor choice? Ipicked it on the advice from the experts on Press F1. :)

The point was that while you rag on shops for not supplying you with online credit card facitities you don't take into account that being real world stores they can offer you and others services well and above what can be done via an online shopping cart.

If you didn't have us to steer you right then you would simply be looking at a long list of video cards that mean nothing to you. Attack that with no knowledge and see how you go.

Shortcircuit
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
I would prefer to purchase from a 'bricks and mortar' place, it's just hard in Auckland to find one where:

a. The staff speak English

b. They are over 18

c. They are even remotely interested/excited that you want to purchase something without flashing lights of the mention of 'gaming rig'.

Now if Metla was to open a Mega Store in the big smoke while offering cheerful customer service from nubile knowledgeable neatly enunciating young maidens with anti-static straps and screw drivers as jewellery accessories- he may have a winner. :D

PaulD
04-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Ascent is good but not even they always have something in stock. It took me 3 weeks to get an anti-static mat from them...with many emails back and forth as they kept changing the ETA.
As a lot of stores do, they sometimes ship direct from the supplier too.

I would guess that most of their sales are shipped direct from supplier. They don't operate a retail store. The Wgtn office looks like any corporate reception area.

Metla
04-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I use that supplier that they source the Anti-Static mats from,they have a good range of accesories but supply can be haphazrd. Sometimes they ring me about gear I ordered months ago and have completly forgotten about.

Which is why I dont list their gear on my site.

Having said that my site is way out of date anyhow, I should probally delete every listing and start over to ensure its a bit more current.

JJJJJ
04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I use that supplier that they source the Anti-Static mats from,they have a good range of accesories but supply can be haphazrd. Sometimes they ring me about gear I ordered months ago and have completly forgotten about.

Which is why I dont list their gear on my site.

Having said that my site is way out of date anyhow, I should probally delete every listing and start over to ensure its a bit more current.

I know. I had a good look there for a video Card. :groan:

Metla
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
:nerd:

My loss.

Cicero
04-11-2005, 03:06 PM
:nerd:

My loss.
Could I have come to you for printer?
If so it would have been ex Met.

Metla
04-11-2005, 03:10 PM
The big issue (as I see it ) with running an online store is that your selling to a market who (in most cases) know exactly what they want, require no advise from a sales assitent or at least will make do with the bare minimum and can quickly source out the cheapest supplier.

Now, If I want to hit that market it means marking everything down so low that even the resulting sales wouldn't cover the manpower and courier costs (to Wanganui, I insist crap comes here first so the right item is on its way), Obviously it would be a bit different if I was in a main centre.

The end result is my site is more an advert my my shop then a commerce site (thats no excuse for not keeping it updated, I could be doing that right now infact)

So now If I had marked down everything so I was making $2.10 from each sale and I get the normal customer through the door, They don't know what they want just something better, we go through all the song and dance of their intended use, budget, expected benifit etc etc, then I sell them the product thats got no profit because I marked it down to compete with the high volume Auckland retailers....Yet its taken considerable time and effort to make that $2.10

That would be the end of me......

And the next chap who enters my shop, tells me I have unrealistic prices because my brand name Ram is $12 more expensive then some crap they get from Supercheap is going to get dropped with a flying elbow....

Muhahahahaha

Metla
04-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Could I have come to you for printer?
If so it would have been ex Met.

Could you have come to me for a printer?

Well gee....I can source about quite a few thousand different products, Can supply just about everything that anyone else can. So yeah.

Im quite surprised more Pressf1's dont at least hit me up for a price from time to time (though there are more users here using my rigs then most would guess at, then again usually their postings slow down when they get a quality rig thats well set up, or mabe its the excellent helpline and backup......Lmao, we will call that a plug).

Nevermind, I'll just go back to helping others purchase the right products from other companies......

Cicero
04-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Gotcha,message recieved. :)

JJJJJ
04-11-2005, 03:53 PM
The big issue (as I see it ) with running an online store is that your selling to a market who (in most cases) know exactly what they want, require no advise from a sales assitent or at least will make do with the bare minimum and can quickly source out the cheapest supplier.

Now, If I want to hit that market it means marking everything down so low that even the resulting sales wouldn't cover the manpower and courier costs (to Wanganui, I insist crap comes here first so the right item is on its way), Obviously it would be a bit different if I was in a main centre.

The end result is my site is more an advert my my shop then a commerce site (thats no excuse for not keeping it updated, I could be doing that right now infact)

So now If I had marked down everything so I was making $2.10 from each sale and I get the normal customer through the door, They don't know what they want just something better, we go through all the song and dance of their intended use, budget, expected benifit etc etc, then I sell them the product thats got no profit because I marked it down to compete with the high volume Auckland retailers....Yet its taken considerable time and effort to make that $2.10

That would be the end of me......

And the next chap who enters my shop, tells me I have unrealistic prices because my brand name Ram is $12 more expensive then some crap they get from Supercheap is going to get dropped with a flying elbow....

Muhahahahaha

I understand perfectly what you mean. You can't compete unless you match the lowest price available, and if you do your throughput is not high enough to cover the lower prices.
It's much the same here in Rotorua. Virtualy everyone who has opened a comp. shop here has gone bust. The one we still have running only seems to stock cheap brands for popular (cheap) comps.
I suppose the purpose of on line shopping is to make the lowest price availabe to everyone. Which ,of course, does nothing for the local shopkeeper.

So you've got the choice. Carry a comprehensive inventory and go bust.
Or carry nothing and go bust.

pctek
04-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I would prefer to purchase from a 'bricks and mortar' place, it's just hard in Auckland to find one where:

a. The staff speak English

b. They are over 18

c. They are even remotely interested/excited that you want to purchase something without flashing lights of the mention of 'gaming rig'.

Now if Metla was to open a Mega Store in the big smoke while offering cheerful customer service from nubile knowledgeable neatly enunciating young maidens with anti-static straps and screw drivers as jewellery accessories- he may have a winner. :D
Well.....
I'm over 18
I speak English
I am a maiden with an antistatic strap and screwdriver as acessories.

However....
I'm not bricks and mortar
And dunno about the nubile bit either :D

pctek
04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I understand perfectly what you mean. You can't compete unless you match the lowest price available, and if you do your throughput is not high enough to cover the lower prices.
It's much the same here in Rotorua. Virtualy everyone who has opened a comp. shop here has gone bust. The one we still have running only seems to stock cheap brands for popular (cheap) comps.
I suppose the purpose of on line shopping is to make the lowest price availabe to everyone. Which ,of course, does nothing for the local shopkeeper.

Which is partly why mine is online only. If I don't sell much because the likes of Supercheap are getting all the customers - so what - I don't have rent to pay. And all those associated premises costs.
The purpose in my opinion isn't to make the lowest price available, its just convenience. Even those who go into a shop I bet check the website first to see if they have the sorts of HW they are after. Not to mention you can check out what the stores hours are etc.
But I think the ones who try to compete on cheap are dooming themselves - much better to concentrate on quality stuff and good service.

Metla
04-11-2005, 04:21 PM
What I was really getting at is I'm far better off nuturing and growing the customers I attract locally and who need and benifit what I can offer, rather then throwing more and more resources into a bells and whistles online store with 100's of items of stock, credit card facitites and whatnot, all to try and corner sales that aren't really worth having unless your turning over a huge amount of stock......, which is why my site has less updates and less stock listed then what may be optimal.

Having said that, The One and only system I currently have listed is pretty damn sweet.....

.....I think, Haven't even looked at it for awhile.

Barnzy
10-11-2005, 04:13 PM
I have never bought anything on line, call me old fasioned, I prefer to deal with people face to face. It gives me a chance to get away from the computer, if I'm within sight of a comp. then that's it, there's allways so much to do! I'm stuck for hours.
Anyway, it seems most of you guys are in some sort of online retailing so I'll give it a try.
Who can find me this:
SUR_CEN (surround center connector) for a Gigabyte Ga-k8ns Pro Motherboard. It's listed in the users manual (page 29) and says "Please contact your nearest dealer for optional sur-cen Cable"
Qmb are the nearest and they just gave me a bemused look when I asked about it, oh and that guy was still surfing the web and the other young guy seemed insulted that I spoke to the older guy first.
Supercheap, where I bought the board, seemed to think it was funny or are they just a happy lot? and Gigabytes support site ran me round in circles. Why didn't they just include the thing with the board in the first place? IT'S ONLY A PIECE OF WIRE FER FUGS SAKE! well, with connectors at each end, but you know what I mean.....don't you....don't you?
So if any of you can help me then we can try this online shopping thing, or I could come to your place. :rolleyes:

Metla
10-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Depends if you wanted to pay what its worth, or pay for the time taken to track it down.

They are sourced through the importer, Last one I got in had to come via special order from....well, somewhere in Asia.

Barnzy
10-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Hmmmm. What is it worth? how much?

pctek
10-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Who can find me this:
SUR_CEN (surround center connector) for a Gigabyte Ga-k8ns Pro Motherboard. It's listed in the users manual (page 29) and says "Please contact your nearest dealer for optional sur-cen Cable"

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Accessory/AccessoryList.htm
This?

With ASUS for instance, the Deluxe boards tend to come with all this sort of stuff bundled and the cheaper models don't - its marked optional. The NZ agents tend not to order extras of these things much - they could well have them though, or at least can get it.
The main agent seems to be Ingram Micro - now part of Tech Pacific - I don't have an account with them.
If it was an ASUS I could but not Gigabyte.
You just need to find a shop who deals with Tech Pac and you should be able to get one. Ascent probably do - they're big enough.

Metla
10-11-2005, 08:17 PM
There are a number of second stringer wholesalers that supply Gigabyte gear, and at the same price as anyone (well, us small guys, No idea about prices for the big fish) can get it from Tech Pac.

Barnzy
10-11-2005, 08:28 PM
So, Metla, do you have an account with Techpac? Can I get one through you?
I feel an internet purchase coming on. :D

Metla
10-11-2005, 08:30 PM
I could place a query, No garentee though, It will have to come into the country as a special order.

Barnzy
10-11-2005, 08:43 PM
PM me with a price if you can get one.
Cheers.

"A fool and his money are soon partying" Steven Wright

shiniNZ
15-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Ive had dealings with Ascent and they've been great, ive just recently started buying off **URL Removed** they are really handy as well.

Mr Wetzyl
15-01-2006, 10:00 PM
I bought online(overseas) a rare cd that is not seen in music stores here from Amazon.com took a while to arrive but its worth it.

Mr Wetzyl
15-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Ascent will be a great one to buy things as the orders are on the other side of the page while I hunt for stuff to buy..I am thinking of creating an account with Ascent this year...for upgrades...

Greven
15-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Ascent have great service. Hardware just seems to die around me - especially hard drives - so I have to be carefull who I buy from.

I'm carefull enough, but I've had 4 out of 6 hard drives I have bought (excluding warranty replacements - haven't killed a replacement yet) die on me. One of them was a second hand quantum fireball, one was a Western Digital cavaiar SE, one was a cheap maxtor, and the latest is a Seagate Barracuda.

My bad luck doesn't seem to respect quality any more than it respects crap.

Shortcircuit
16-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Ascent are my choice as well, nice clean site- not cobbled together out a few pieces of string and a stick, service is great and they keep you informed where your order's at.

Laura
16-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Forgive me for being a cynic, but why would anyone dredge up a 2month-old post to make their first post as a praise - ostensibly for Ascent, but actually to put anothers web address on the forum.

Let's be realistic. People make their first post usually with a question.

Hasn't done him/her any obvious good, as the following discussion is on Ascent.

So are you spam, ShiniNZ?

Cicero
17-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Forgive me for being a cynic, but why would anyone dredge up a 2month-old post to make their first post as a praise - ostensibly for Ascent, but actually to put anothers web address on the forum.

Let's be realistic. People make their first post usually with a question.

Hasn't done him/her any obvious good, as the following discussion is on Ascent.

So are you spam, ShiniNZ?
I think you could have a point there L.

Brassed Off
24-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I suggest you NEVER GO TO SUPER CHEAP :angry or Global Computers in Pitt st Auckland as they are the [pits].
Sell goods but dont give warranty service. I bought a Asus A8V motherboard and it failed to work when first installed. Checked everything out and was faulty. Returned board. So advised them within 7 day period and asked them for money back and demanded a refund. This was early December last year.
After numerous emails and phone calls and faxing the completely ignored my requests so Got a Abit mother board and used this and worked without a hitch.
Went and comfronted Supercheap and asked for money back as taking too long and pointed out that already. Over a month had gone by.
Just as well I didnt decide to wait for this board to be returned. As still would be waiting. I asked them I had sent numerous emails to them. The Manager a lady said we dont read emails. her words not mine. I said why have a email address.? She gave no answer. I said the copies of what I sent to you are on your website under my account. I showed my copy to them 2 pages long. The retailer under the Consumers guarantee act I understand do give a option of a refund which I asked for and was refused. I then asked for other goods of same value and they refused to do this also.
I told them if you refund I will buy a whole lot more parts off of you. This they refused so missed out on over $900 in sales. They also tell me they have gone right out of Asus mother boards. So the reason to palm / offer the replacement when it arrives. I was told by another dealer they buy the seconds old stock etc and onsell. So may be the case with this shop.? SO WARNING KEEP CLEAR OF SUPER CHEAP at all costs. They have my money and I dont have my goods. They wouldnt like it if the tables were reversed would they.?

Shortcircuit
24-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't be giving up there for the price of a motherboard.

Tell them in writing that under the goods and services act you require an immediate refund as they they have not been able/willing to repair/replace the item within a reasonable timeframe (1 month is plenty).

Note also that it is the responsibilty of the store, not the wholesaler to resolve the problem.

Also make it clear that if this is not done you will take them to the small claims tribunal/disputes tribunal and stick to your guns.

Brassed Off
24-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have been and seen Super Cheap and already given it to them it to them writing and advised under Goods and Services that they must do something about it and I insisted on a refund as per the act. They refused to do anything about it. Maybe they cant read English. ? I have demanded a refund when in store and they still refused. Seems like this act is a ass and doesnt help the public much at all.
Only thing I havent done is to tell them I am willing to take to small claims court. I have since contacted the Commerce Commision who is very interested in these Cowboys. So if anyone else is having problems with SuperCheap I suggest they look at the Commerce Commision website and contact them. They said if enough people complain they will investigate them. With the goings on with SuperCheap in the past on this forum its a wonder they havent checked them out. I already told them its far to long the delay hence reason demanding a refund. But they dont care about that. I mentioned that if your car had failed and you were waiting for a month for a part you wouldnt be happy. She refused to say anything

Cicero
24-01-2006, 09:57 PM
They appear to using the,say nothing and hope they go away technique.
It quite often works.

Metla
24-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Thats when you scissor kick them to the face.

Nomad
25-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Computers I use pp.co.nz
I know ascent but they are not as cheap.
For cameras stuff and others I use parallel imports (thou not online).
For cameras I use photo.co.nz
DSE is good but I just go inside.

Intl is cheaper much time
I use bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, ebay.com as used or new.

Or I go overseas and take back in person (esp HKG and USA).

ascesis.illich
08-05-2006, 12:39 PM
WATCH OUT FOR MEGATECH IN AUCKLAND - MISLEADING, SUSPECTED BAIT ADVERTISERS

www.megatech.co.nz

Products

The first order ACER Aspire 5672WLMi was cancelled by a
representative from MEGATECH - who explained that it was a pricing
error. I accepted that explanation.

The second order was put through after seeing the
ACER TM 4272WLMI on pricespy [10 in total] for $1090 inc GST. Two days later
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Acer Travelmate 4272WLMI CORE DUO T2300 1.66GHz 1GB 120GB 15.4" WXGA XPP DVD+/-RW DL 802.11A/B/G (TM4272WLMI) = $968.89
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $968.89
Courier Option Three (2 Sectors (Up to Wellington)): $19.95
GST 12.5%: $121.11
Total: $1,109.95

CANCELLED IT - THEN...

sent various abusive emails to me claiming I was trying to rip them off - they advertised these laptops - I only wanted ONE - they said that I wanted to buy and sell them - and finally told me their closing down and are not selling any more - but they are still open.

robs
17-05-2006, 07:25 PM
I was wondering how people like New Zealands online retailers , how bout you share some stories with others and give any tips for those who may turn to the web in futute times

Well the problem is where do you go and who are you dealing with there are new sites like ferrit and [others] soon to be launched that will make shopping easier plus you can shop for a number of products on the one site find what your looking for and compare prices and buy online.

The key is deal with retailers you've heard of before, the good thing about sites like ferrit and [others] is they have a number of well known brands but also some of the smaller players who will keep the big boys honest.

[Edit: Hmm. You sign up and posted two URL's to a new website that is soo brand spanking new none of the links work and even the Help button is a plain image and not clickable. The website is still in the mock-up stage. Certainly not ready for public viewing yet ...

This post was in context to the topic, but you have just signed up to specifically mention and post your website URL's. I have removed the URL's as I suspect your motives and how they apply to PressF1 rules regarding promoting commerical websites - Jen (Moderator) - Forum Rules (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52243)]

Overdrive_5000
17-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Go Go SPAM :thumbs:

kiwishopper
05-06-2006, 11:54 AM
spam - read the rules

Shortcircuit
05-06-2006, 01:21 PM
It looks good so far and unlike that Ferrit thing displays properly in Firefox.

It's a bit hard to say beyond that until the sections are working.

If you're listing new and used I'd want to see separate categories and if items are discounted I'd want to see the 'normal retail' and discounted prices listed.

I also have issues with any retailer/seller who lists something as 'only $50.00'... gives the impression that it's discounted when it's not.

Let's face it, most people who are looking at on-line retail sites are looking for one of the following:

A bargain

What they want at the best price

Something they want that they can't find anywhere else