PDA

View Full Version : MSN.COM hijacking my default home page

excelsa
11-09-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm using Internet Explorer with Windows XP Home, and I prefer to use a "blank" default home page. It is regularly getting changed to www.msn.com. I haven't set this in my internet options. I never use msn. I don't want to use msn. I don't want msn as my default home page. I keep resetting it to "blank page" but something keeps setting it back to www.msn.com. I clean out my cookies folder regularly.

Any advice as to how to stop this would be appreciated.

Megaman
11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Do you use an anti-spy/ad ware program (IE Ad-Aware)? Often yhey don't like this, and will remove it, changing it to the windows default.

excelsa
11-09-2004, 09:44 PM
I use both ad-aware and spybot-search and destroy. I'll keep an eye on the adaware log file.

Thanks

stu120404
11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
This FAQ's shoud help:

FAQ #16 - Spyware and adware - how do I get rid of it? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50621&message=305616)

Terry Porritt
11-09-2004, 10:11 PM
The FAQ doesn't actually say that you should add the about:blank possible hijack that Adaware comes up with to the Adaware ignore list.

Instead the FAQ says this which I dont understand:
"You can prevent Ad-aware's future scans from doing this by adding the About: Blank entry to the Default Settings page under Default Homepage."