PDA

View Full Version : Disapearing Port

Fatcam
10-09-2004, 04:18 AM
We have just purchased a new laptop which we wish to hook up to a scales program. The scales connect via com ports so we purchased a PCMCIA card with 2 com ports. Once installed the com ports work fine, but upon restarting the machine the 2 com ports do not work. In device manager it says 'The device cannot start. (Code 10)'
I have installed service pack 2 on the laptop but still no change. Should I look at another brand of PCMCIA serial card or has anyone got an ideas of getting the one I have going.

Cheers
Cam

drcspy
10-09-2004, 07:54 AM
com ports are actually NOT physical devices they are windows operating system 'communication ports' and anyway your laptop should have had a serial connector and parralel connector which is where you hook up those 'com' connectors .........

godfather
10-09-2004, 09:29 AM
?
PCMCIA Com Ports are a very physical device.

Many modern laptops no longer have legacy RS232 ports, hence the need above.

The problem appears to be the lack of drivers, with that error number.

Is the PCMCIA card and drivers designed to work on XP?

RS232 devices are typically a DOS service and we assume your new laptop is running XP, which does not have DOS.

Its too hard to give advice that you require, as you give no clue as to the make/model of PCMCIA card or the laptop operating system.

Fatcam
10-09-2004, 10:19 AM
thanks for the response.

The laptop we purchased is a ACER travelMate 2000 running XP with service pack 2. The PCMCIA serial card has XP drivers on the disk that came with it. The manufacturer of the card isn't really apparent, on the top of the installation disk is Equipment Advantage and COMpad-32/85B.
Sorry this is all the information I have.

cheers
Cam