PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help convert my site to PHP?

george12
11-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi guys,

I run an online computer shop, scripted by me in ASP. But all the good hosting packages only seem to use non-windows os's and therefore I think it it time to say goodbye to my familiar scripting language.

I don't have any real knowledge of PHP, but was wondering if any of you guys was up to the challenge of converting the whole site to PHP (or some other language you can convince me to use). I would provide the ASP source for the whole site (the actual pages only taking about 600KB), cleaned up so you can understand them, and get them converted to a linux/unix friendly language.

Anyone interested? If necessary I can pay for the job.

Goerge

Captive
11-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Personally I think while language is an option it should be elected for before coding, but you probably did think of that at the time in all aspects rather than a few which was best for you at the time.

I think also in terms of TCO [Total Cost of ownership] by the time a site reaches more than 2 years old the technology can change and may want reworking for client side coding and maybe server side as well.

From what I read previously in Web Development sites on the 'net it may be more a Software Architects job to define what languages and specifications should exist of this nature.

At the same time though I think itís also worth considering, when a recreation is to occur, it might be a good time to modify the design. Do you want to invest similar amounts of money in old processes or develop new specifications which may actually have similar costs but overall better offerings to the business?

This is all just my opinion though, totally your call what you do.

I myself have done part of 1 PHP project [ http://bids.digitalbuilder.co.nz ]that the client pulled out of after he thought he could get someone to go into partnership with him and pay nothing up front. That site I believe still has not reached commercial viability for the client, and I think there is to be considered if you want a job done well, there is a price associated with it.

Mostly I have done ASP Classic, but I think you may want to consider all elements in the costing and the overall price combined of the TCO. But then perhaps you already have

e.g.
Domain
Design/Development
Hosting
[Obviously you could have advertising, management and other costs as well, but they may typically go outside various web design firms [although cases will vary]]

george12
11-08-2004, 10:28 PM
The reason this site ended up in ASP is because that's what I knew. I picked up ASP easily because it was the same code effectively as VB6, which I knew very well. I had made sites before in ASP. I knew I would have to pick a better hosting company than I had as I only had a small 30MB account with basic, limited ASP and reeeealy bad URL redirection for the domain.

So, I said goodbye to all that and took up a paid account with GenuineASP. They are really good in value, but have very unreliable servers - my site has gone down several times.

I can't afford to have a day every other week of downtime, so I am switching hosting company. When I do this, I think I'll be choosing a linux server as they have much better prices and more space. So I have decided to change to PHP.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who know PHP and could help. Basicly I want there to be no change to the site except it to be written in PHP. The user interface should be the same.

Anybody interested in viewing the code please contact me privatly at g_dewar@jgih.com and I will send you it. I don't want to publicise it as this may pose a security risk.

You are welcome to go to *hmm how do u link in this forum?* www.jgih.com ('http://www.jgih.com') to see what converting it would be like.

George

george12
11-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Oh well I tried with the link. I didn't think HTML was allowed. I found it!

http://www.jgih.com

There we go.

dwnz2003
11-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Why dont you try setting up your own web server? It could save you from converting all your pages from ASP to PHP

Daniel

stu120404
11-08-2004, 10:34 PM
> But all the good hosting packages only seem to use
> non-windows os's

That is Not necessary true, you just have to ask around on other different forums e.g. the two I posted in your other topic & you can find a host in your price range

somebody
11-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I would suggest trying to find a decent ASP web host, since you've already got your system set up in that language. Even if you ended up paying slightly more for the hosting, it will save you the costs of paying someone to convert the code to PHP or whatever.