PDA

View Full Version : OT Recording Teletext Subtitles

Exwesty
06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi Team,

My Wife is hearing impaired so finds watching recorded programs from TV difficult.

I'd like some way of recording TV programs with the Teletext subtitles on or able to be decoded when played back thru my television.

Apparently the S-VHS recorders had this feature i.e. enough bandwidth on the tape but they are not available any more besides video tape is dying compared to DVD.

I have looked at the various DVD recorders that have appeared in the market so far but none have this ability. In fact according to the technical people I have spoken to the Teletext signal is stripped out in the signal processing. I would have thought that the DVD or hard drive medium would have given ample room for this to be kept as well, enabling the processor on the tv to decode it when played back.

My other thought is to try and locate one of the older plug in decoders and place that in the RF signal path before my VCR recorder and permanently on page 801 (subtitles) there by having subtitles on anything that has them on recorded.

ok that brings up the pc TV card option, I am aware some of these have Teletext capability, can these record the correct signal so that when played back it can be decoded or can the subtitles be turned on and that image recorded to harddrive for playback.
I guess that the pc route would also require some format shifting to get it back out to the TV, I have a DVD player, my PC also does have a video output on the Video card but is 20m from my lounge but I could get the signal there if required.

I do wish to buy a DVD writer for my pc so i guess that is one way to get it out there but the preferable option would be a set top box ie DVD recorder that anyone that knows how to use a VCR can use.... i.e. her indoors.

I have seen mentions of TIVO's as well, but no idea of specs and whether these would solve the problem

Has any played with similar gear or have thoughts on how I can achieve this and keep her happy.
Buying stuff to find out it won't work could be an expensive pastime even if I get some new toys...

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help with some input.

sam m
06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
A while ago the Deaf Association bought a batch of Video Recorders that could copy with subtitles (providing of course that the programme being recorded is subtitled) They were easy 3 maybe 4 times more expensive then standard videos and they came from Europe/UK I think.
The brand name eludes me but I think it is Grundig?
This was a while ago. If you cant find any local suppliers of that brand then maybe the Deaf Association maybe able to advise of a supplier.

Good Luck

4bes
06-08-2004, 10:46 PM
my current tv card (Leadtek winfast) allows you to record teletext to the harddrive including subtitles. But teletext is shown in a separate window and saved in a seperate file so would not be suitable for what you need.

Talk to the Deaf Assoc as Sam suggested. they should be able to help you set something up :)

caffy
07-08-2004, 07:09 AM
I have a Grundig model, and it can record subtitles onto video. But am not too sure if they are still making those models?

ChrisG
08-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Although this is quite an old thread, the subject of recording subtitles may still be of interest to many deaf people.

I have started a blog on the subject: www.subtitles.org.nz

Cheers!
ChrisG.

FoxyMX
08-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Interesting. Did you buy your Mac Mini for that purpose or did you already have a Mac?

Seems like the Elgato EyeTV 200 Firewire DV recorder is only for Mac machines too, which is a pity.

ChrisG
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I already had a G4 Mac Mini, but I wasn't using it, so this turned out to be the ideal use for it.

The small size and attractive appearance of the MacMini was also good, as I think my wife would have objected to an ordinary PC sitting next to the TV in the lounge!

It is a shame that the Elgato is only for Mac. There are so many different hardware options for Windows that it is more an issue of finding Windows software that can record subtitles, such as the GB-PVR project, or (maybe) XP MCE 2005?

-CG

EX-WESTY
10-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Chris, Check my other thread on this topic. i did solve the problem and successfully record subtitles on to a dvd recorder already decoded for playback. Here (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=66541)