PDA

View Full Version : OT: Phone Line Splitting

csinclair83
22-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Is there a way of splitting the phone line into 2, as I require to have my fax machine connected 24/7 starting next week. I know I can get another line installed but I have been told by the landlord that its not possible because we are currently going through refurbishment and my current flat is one of the possible flats of being demolished on the inside, so no point wasting $$...

So is there any way of a DIY job of splitting the line into 2 for Fax and Internet, and yes i do know my internet speed would be dropped from 52kb/sec to probably 40ishkb/sec but yeah...

Chris :)

supergran
22-07-2004, 10:11 PM
If you are through telecom, I think they can do a faxability line, or something like that. It gives you a dedicated fax line, without giving you two lines. Make sense? Yea, I know, it didn't to me either, when my daughter got prices to have two lines, and it was way expensive but telecom told her about the fax dedicated line. Might be worth ringing and asking them.

tech_mister
22-07-2004, 10:14 PM
You need Jetstream

csinclair83
22-07-2004, 10:18 PM
i dont need jetstream, i only use the internet at nights but have been told i need fax on at nights now too...
so yeah just a small matter of having 1 line...

and this faxability, i know u get another number for the fax machine but still...do u have to have the whole line free or can u use the net and still receive faxes?

godfather
22-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Faxability from Telecom

It uses the same line though, with a different number. That gives a different ring cadence, which the fax recognises and picks up.

However, at a guess I would say that will not work for you Chris, as you usually have your phone line in use most of the time?

Therefore its either a second line or, as suggested you use Jetstream and connect the existing line to the fax.

Otherwise you have to have a second line.

A digital split would have to be out in the Telecom system, and you would need the second line from there, so no help from that area.

metla
22-07-2004, 10:21 PM
You need jetstream.

Yes you do,don't argue

You said yourself that you want to be able to recieve faxes 24 hours a day and use the net,all off one line.

The answer is Jetstream.

Yes it is

Jetstream

csinclair83
22-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Lol if jetstream is the only answer I reckon i will have to bribe the other end to get a mobile phone and text me when they gonna fax me, or set a time for faxing...or stay off at night lol...

I just thought there was a way i was able to split the line simply

Pheonix
22-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Why don't they use e-mail or something like ICQ?

Once you are using the net, the phone line is busy till you get off I'm afraid.

The only ways I know of is a) Jetstream b) Second line

Telecom used to have a service (for business customers) that would store the FAX till the line came free. Bit like a call minder service, but for FAXes. Was a long time ago, but maybe it is still available?

csinclair83
22-07-2004, 10:44 PM
I just had a idea from what pheonix said...

is there anything that i can use with xtra being my isp, that i can put onto my computer and when a fax comes through it notifies me, and I can either ingore the call or get disconnected so the fax can be received...

They do use emails and stuff but its stuff that cannot be communicated via the internet...

godfather
22-07-2004, 10:54 PM
There is a mobile phone solution for faxes, but it would be difficult to use for you unfortunately.

Vodafone have it as a standard offering, I use it from time to time.

The fax is sent to a mobile number, you get a message on the phone that you have a fax in your mailbox.

You have to ring your cellular mailbox and follow the prompts, and enter the landline number of the fax you want it forwarded to.

Great for travellers wanting to collect their faxes, but I don't know how anyone could follow the prompts when they could not hear them.

Otherwise it would be a solution.

But you need Jetstream, in case nobody has suggested that yet.

For $39.95 per month you could have Jetstream 1 GB, and that includes your ISP charge. A second line is $30, so unless your current ISP charge is less than $9.95 per month, a Jetstream connection would be cheaper anyway.

Baldy
22-07-2004, 11:30 PM
FAXABILITY:
Unless you have two telephone lines, the fax machine will not receive messages while you are online. With Faxability you do not get TWO seperate telephone lines. All you are paying for is the priveledge of having a seperate ring tone so you don't rush to answer your phone everytime your friends send you a fax transmission.
If you are online, your fax will not receive faxs - or you will be unable to send faxes as well
Baldy:-)

Rob99
23-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Fantastic advice found here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=49449#292769)

tweak\'e
23-07-2004, 09:43 AM
have you checked the actual cable ?? unless its really old cable theres normall 2 pairs in the cable so you can have 2 phone lines.

robo
23-07-2004, 10:02 AM
I thought they also held faxes until the line was free, isn't that part of the faxbility service? Means there are no busy signals and when you are offline the faxes come rolling in.
robo.
PS I hate faxes, I want to burn my fax machine.

4bes
23-07-2004, 10:06 AM
how about a device like this

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10038196&whse=&topnav=&cat=3861&hierPath=79*3861*

it means you will have to pay for the call waiting service, but its cheaper then a second line

4bes
23-07-2004, 10:13 AM
heres a local version

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41003c050013eb9c273fc0a87f990649/Product/View/XH6837

4bes
23-07-2004, 10:15 AM
ok, that didn't work. search for 'DSE caller alert'

4bes
23-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41003c050013eb9c273fc0a87f990649/Product/View/XH6837)

got it this time. it's been a while. :)

d.murray
23-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Am I being too simplistic to suggest that you set your PC to accept faxes while you're online?

godfather
23-07-2004, 12:33 PM
> Am I being too simplistic to suggest that you set
> your PC to accept faxes while you're online?

Unfortunately, yes.

Chris is dialled into the ISP, so any incoming fax call will get a busy tone.

mikebartnz
23-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Unless you are a pyromaniac you would have more fun with a sledge hammer.
With most people on the net these days I don't see the point in them but you do get a confirmation slip with them if you need the evidence.

Baldy
23-07-2004, 07:20 PM
> I thought they also held faxes until the line was
> free, isn't that part of the faxbility service? Means
> there are no busy signals and when you are offline
> the faxes come rolling in.
> robo.
> PS I hate faxes, I want to burn my fax machine.

Ummm, not when I was working from home Robo. Maybe you need something more than a basic fax machine that has a memory built in. But as I said in my previous post, faxability is nothing more than a charge for a different telephone # which you dedicate to your fax machine

bk T
23-07-2004, 08:52 PM
> You need jetstream.
>

I agree with you, metla. It's either Jetstream or a second phone line.

supergran
23-07-2004, 08:58 PM
The second phone line isn't always practical. We live just outside Christchurch, and when I started spending more time online, we thought it was time for a second line. Our house is under 30 years old, and telecom said if we want a second line, it is going to cost minimum of $1000 to put the extra cabling in, as we live down a back section, and the present phone cable has only enough for one line. Well that threw that idea out the window, so now rely on cell phones if anyone wants us in the evening. And no, Clear/telstra isn't an option out here, all we have is telecom.

Poppa John
23-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Two comments made on "Faxability" here.
I thought it was different, like this,
One pair of wires into house, say red & blue, one phone & number.
One pair of wires into house. Phone ! connected across red & earth, one phone one number. Phone 2 connected across blue & earth, one phone one number. Tell me this IS SO?? What is the point in having Faxability if you cannot use the Fax & the phone at the same time?? PJ

Elephant
23-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Way back in the days of Win3.11 there used to be a hardware box called a fax catcher. This was a box which plugged into the wall socket and directed calls to the PC if a FAX and the phone line if not a FAX. Just one phone line used.

I have no idea if such items are currently sold.

One box plugged into wall or skirting board telecom socket and two outlets. One outlet to PC to grab Fax and one outlet to phone. For an incoming FAX this was directed to PC and was handled by BitFax or WinFax software.

The other outlet handled incoming voice calls.

Needless to say one phone line will not handle both at the same time.

Like if I dial out on a modem on ONE phone line then incoming calls either from voice or fax will just get a busy or engaged signal.

The box I referred to could tell the difference between incoming voice and fax.

Chris can get another phone line with dedicated FAX. Can get Jetstream etc. All of which will cost.

My solution is not to use Fax at all and use a scanner to send docs using Email. I use a wireless ISP so my one phone line is available all the time.

godfather
23-07-2004, 10:20 PM
PJ, the purpose of faxability is to provide a separate number for the fax, and have the fax only answer those calls.

Trust me, its all delivered on the one line though, just the ringing pattern is different to allow a compatable fax to recognise it and pick it up. Its not split at the plug or anywhere. I have installed several of them so I am not guessing.

Elephant, I use a genuine "fax catcher". It answers the phone and listens for the CCITT fax tones, and if they are detected it switches the call to the fax. If not, the calls go to the phone outputs. It will also recognise modem incoming calls and direct them to a data circuit (apparently) but I don't use that function. Also acts as a telephone exchange and allows the transfer of calls between the different "extensions"

They were very expensive though (around $600 from memory when this one was new)

As you say its all on 1 line though so such things don't help Chris.

csinclair83
23-07-2004, 11:14 PM
I've just readed all these..

and I've decided that I'll have the net on whenever but not online between midnight and 11am and the ppl who wnant my fax on have agreed to that times so hope that works out without having extra lines or jetstream...

thanks peeps for all ur comments :D