PDA

View Full Version : Orcon SMTP problem

Greg S
14-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi. Is anyone else with Orcon Internet having SMTP problems?

I have this weird intermittent issue since yesturday that when I try sen an email I get prompted for my smtp password. It doesn't accept it and no matter how many times I try refuses to send.

Worse is the complicating factor that occasionally I'm not prompted for the password, and the message either hangs for a while and then sends, or it just times out.

I've not made any system changes for a while, and never encountered this weird problem before. orcon has so far said they're unaware of any server issues, SMTP or otherwise.

I can browse perfectly and receive email just fine.

I use Netscape 7.1 on XP Pro sp1

Thx!

csinclair83
14-07-2004, 01:25 PM
I am on xtra and i have the same issue at nights for the last 2-3 days it asks for my password for sending emails and it refuses them and it only works if i disconnect and reconnect or if i wait a while then it will send...

have notified xtra so hope they find the issuee or actually get my email lol

Susan B
14-07-2004, 01:36 PM
No problems here with sending emails using Orcon and Eudora.

<touchwood>

stu120404
14-07-2004, 01:49 PM
> Hi. Is anyone else with Orcon Internet having SMTP
> problems?

I have all ways had to use my ISP SMTP server to send mail instead of using Orcon SMTP server.

Greg S
14-07-2004, 02:18 PM
> I have all ways had to use my ISP SMTP server to send
> mail instead of using Orcon SMTP server.

Um Stu your ISP is Orcon right? that means your ISP SMTP server is Orcon's SMTP server

agent
14-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Whether Stu's ISP is Orcon doesn't matter; the general configuration of an SMTP server is to only allow connections from IPs within that ISPs range.

Hence if your ISP is Xtra, but you have an email address with Orcon, you should use smtp.xtra.co.nz as your SMTP server, regardless of whether or not Orcon's SMTP server can successfully authenticate you or not.

The question is, is Orcon your ISP?

Greg S
14-07-2004, 04:20 PM
> Whether Stu's ISP is Orcon doesn't matter; the
> general configuration of an SMTP server is to only
> allow connections from IPs within that ISPs range.
>
> Hence if your ISP is Xtra, but you have an email
> address with Orcon, you should use smtp.xtra.co.nz as
> your SMTP server, regardless of whether or not
> Orcon's SMTP server can successfully authenticate you
> or not.
>
> The question is, is Orcon your ISP?

Not sure I really understand you, Agent. Xtra don't allow sending mail via their smtp server if you're with another ISP, and I imagine it's similar the other way round.

Anyway, my ISP is Orcon, and my email client uses smtp.orcon.net.nz

paulw
14-07-2004, 04:26 PM
"Not sure I really understand you, Agent. Xtra don't allow sending mail via their smtp server if you're with another ISP, and I imagine it's similar the other way round."

Yes it does. I use smtp.xtra.co.nz and retrieve from mail.orcon.net.nz here at work every day. Our ADSL is on Xtra..

Jim B
14-07-2004, 04:32 PM
> > Hence if your ISP is Xtra, but you have an email
> > address with Orcon, you should use smtp.xtra.co.nz

>
> Not sure I really understand you, Agent. Xtra don't
> allow sending mail via their smtp server if you're
> with another ISP, and I imagine it's similar the
> other way round.

Doesn't seem too hard to understand.
If he has Xtra Jetstream for instance and uses an Orcon email address he sends through smtp.xtra.co.nz mail server but logs into Orcon to download mail.

agent
14-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Well let's say, for example, your ISP is "Crap ISP Ltd", and they can allocate you an IP address in the range of 202.100.0.0-202.200.255.255.

Then you can only send an email through smtp.crap.co.nz if your IP address is in that range (or if they allow authentication via another mean - technically restricting successful connections to their IP range is a means of authentication). Not all ISPs do this, but the majority do, and it basically makes it easier to trace an email that was sent (whether that be a spammer who is too stupid to use relays, or someone sending fraudulent emails, etc).

Anyway, you said your ISP is Orcon, so there really shouldn't be a problem sending an email through smtp.orcon.net.nz.

CYaBro
14-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Most, if not all, email programs have an option for something like:

My outgoing mail server requires authentication

or

My SMTP server requires authentication.

Look for this an make sure it is disabled as you shouldn't need it enabled.

Jester
14-07-2004, 05:47 PM
My Orcon mail is getting thru and receiving ok

aronking
15-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Funny that - I have the same problem that emails do not seem to be sent immediately. The Outlook Express comes out with an error message that the ?? has been rejected. And yes, my ISP is Orcon.

The mail does usually go through within 10 mins though.

Greg S
15-07-2004, 12:44 PM
> Most, if not all, email programs have an option for
> something like:
>
> My outgoing mail server requires authentication
>
> or
>
> My SMTP server requires authentication.
>
> Look for this an make sure it is disabled as you
> shouldn't need it enabled.

Thx. Netscape Messenger doesn't have that option. This situation is getting very frustrating, specially as Orcon can't find any problems :(

Megaman
15-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Well I successfully sent a test email from our Orcon account to our Clear account. Took a while, but still got through ok