PDA

View Full Version : Its about advise on car alarms.

vpothineni
20-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Hi,
i have recently bought a car. Just a Toyota vista 95 1.8L. Im wanting to buy a car alarm. basically my needs are..thats im too lazy to open unlock and lock :) but if i get more features im not too fussed.

But dont know much about which is a good alarm which works properly and stuff!!

so i was just wondering where is the best place to buy a cheap alarm.

I was looking at this at trademe.co.nz and its called TJJ alarms.

Trademe (http://trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts/Alarms-security/auction-11628252.htm)

Any comments on that plz..or any recomendations..

thanks you very much..

Billy T
20-05-2004, 06:03 PM
There are good alarms and cheap alarms, but very few (if any) good cheap alarms.

The Trade Me one is an unknown brand and looks pretty cheap. You would have to install it yourself as well.

Presumably you value your car and its contents, so get quotes from reputable installers.

If all you want is central locking you can buy kits at DSE.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

vpothineni
20-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Ya i know its a cheap alarm...but im saving up for the mp3 player and 6*9 speakers...

I do have central locking in my car.

Well its kindof beta having something blinking in da car..saying its got an alarms instead of nothin in their.

and it comes with instructions and my mate said he can install it for me.

thanx billy

sam m
20-05-2004, 06:32 PM
The one on trademe sounds good. Nice features and it would probably need professional installation unless you knew what you were doing.

As a choice I would tend to stay with known brands ie Mongoose, Uniden but they do cost a lot more.

If you intend on decking this car out with all the toys eg stereo, mags, seats etc then get top of the line alarm as you will be warding off the professional thieves.

If you are just keeping it standard then any alarm (the one advertised on Trademe for example) with the features you want would be fine as you would be warding off the joy riders.

vpothineni
20-05-2004, 06:35 PM
ya thanx sam..

I am surely not gonna do up a toyota vista LOL...
its just as u said to keep joy riders away..

all the do up for this car is gona b a mp3 player and some 6*9 thats all..

thanx you all..

XOtagoScarfie
20-05-2004, 10:07 PM
http://www.auctioncity.co.nz/Shop/item-info.asp?id=10200

Probably have to pay for installation though but you will probably get a reduction on your car insurance premiums.

(don't know how good they are but uniden usually has good products)

Just a thought.

Cheers

cadifan
20-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Since I've had two cars stolen (3 months apart) I've always used the latest Mongoose available each time I bought another car.

If the car and contents are worth way more than the alarm + installation then alarm it! If the alarm and installation cost around the cars value then don't waste the money on the junker.

So it all depends on the car and it's contents, if it's worth protecting it's worth protecting properly, if it's not then save your money.

simonc
21-05-2004, 06:56 AM
Two words for car alarms.... Auto Watch.

My car is on the insurers 'most stolen cars' list (actually, really near the top of the list) and have not had one attempt on my car. I think because of the alarm.
Auto Watch is also on the insurers list as a preferred alarm and give discounts...
Have a look here...
www.autowatch.co.nz

my .01c worth (still working up to .02c worth...)

Sb0h
21-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I'd suggest you check with your insurance co before buying an alarm as they only offer discounts on certified and professionally installed alarms. Like has been suggested above, if you have a car or goodies worth protecting then do it properly. I've always used good quality alarms and never had a vehicle stolen or interferred with and one of them had a huge stereo in it (when I was a young hoon) B-)

My last car (a subaru WRX) was up top of the "most stolen" vehicle list and I put a Dynatron dual imobiliser alarm in it and never had any trouble. Most car security firms will offer a package including installation.

...if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

fastcarman9999
19-03-2005, 08:17 PM
They are good alarms as I got TJJ Car Alarm
from [edit: some url]

Install was real easy and hooked it up to central locking already in the car, worked like a dream.

Hope this helps

Jen
19-03-2005, 08:32 PM
They are good alarms as I got TJJ Car Alarm
from [edit: some url]

Install was real easy and hooked it up to central locking already in the car, worked like a dream.

Hope this helpsWell if you wish to push your website (and yes, I know you are the webmaster of the site I removed from your post), you should

a. paste your url correctly so that it doesn't 404
b. not drag up a really old thread to make this blindingly spam post.

You read the rules, no posting just for your own benefit to get traffic to your website. This is the second time I've had to stop that web site from spamming this forum. Consider this account now banned for 3 days.

BoboTheClown
21-03-2005, 07:56 AM
If car theft is your main concern then there is only one real solution - a gearlock. A gearlock locks the car in reverse (manual) or Park (auto).

Sample here: http://www.griptech.co.za/gearlock%20range.htm

Coming from the crime capitol of the world, this is the only thing which works, insurance companies only accept 2 methods of security over there, gearlocks or satellite tracking. Immobilisers and alarms became obsolete around 10 years ago as the crims learned how to quickly bypass them.

tanuvasti
18-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Got this Fighter Car Alarm System as a gift. (LF-Q025A Car Alarm)
Im no expert on Alarms but can someone please tell me if this is any good.
Some details of alarm as per below.

Anti - Hi Jacking
Auto Central Lock
Panic
Ignition cut-Off
Car Finding
Auto Rearming
Built-in CPU Chip

Can someone please tell me if this is any good. I also need to get GPS put on my vehicle to reduce my insurance premiums as my vehicle is right up there for most stolen cars.
Would appreciate anyones advise on whether i should install and sync with my GPS when done or get another more known brand alarm.

Jeremy
18-06-2005, 08:58 PM
They all sound like a fairly standard features to me. Your best bet is to find some reviews. I remember reading something buy a car theif a few years ago, he stated that he wouldn't touch a car with a Mongoose in it.

20-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Two votes for Autowatch!

I had an Autowatch on my Subaru WRX and never had a problem whilst other cars around me got hit by dirty tea leafs.

Never had a false alarm when parked on the side of the road etc.

A little more expensive but worth peace of mind...

(This is not an advertisement... I do not work for them!)

pheonix
20-06-2005, 06:00 PM
The best Alarm in the world is totally useless if not installed properly. If it takes minutes to put in, it takes seconds to rip out. It makes me cringe to see these installs where the "noisemaker" is in the engine bay. Less than 15 Secs, they can have the bonnet up and it is ripped off its mounts, along with all the cable, or hammered flat in even less time.

Last car I did had the plastic inner front guard removed and the sounder fitted inside. All cabling totally hidden or disguised.

Basically, the more effort put in to install the alarm, the more effective it becomes. With modern cars and their computers, it is advisable to get skilled people to connect it for you.

chiefnz
22-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Whatever you do don't go cheap and make sure that a certified technician installs the alarm, some insurance companies will refuse to pay any money out if the discover that the alarm install was a DIY job.

Autowatch is a good choice but personally I would also consider Dynatron Alarm Systems... all their models are certifed as acceptable by NZ Insurance Companies... some insurance act or legislation, I'm not sure on the exact phrase.

cheers

chiefnz

yaz
13-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi,
I'm buying a mitsubishi from a dealer and he is suggesting i install the alarm
before i get the car but the only alarm he is offering is Autowatch.
I have personally never heard of this system or brand.
Any comments or experiences appreciated as its not the cheapest option I'v found but if its a good system I'll spend the $$ for the peace of mind. :confused:
Thanx people.

jesseycy
13-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Or, if you're just after an alarm that has the basic immobilser (to reduce your premium), siren, detecting by shock sensors, haha, and you live in Auckland, you can always try to go to the asian shops and get one installed.

I got one done for my Accord, it's not too new, so I didn't want to spend too much. Just $120 installed, not too bad... At least I know no thief will drag away the car....

SurferJoe46
14-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Alarms don't do it here. We live so close to the Mexico border that if the alarm doesn't disable the vehicle, the thieves just drive them across the border with the alarms blaring.

Why bother trying to kill or quiet an alarm...just take the whole car to another country and resell it there...they even sell them there with alarms pre-installed as an "extra" feature! :cool:

Nomad
15-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Just out of super interest. How much are the GPS alarm systems? Around $800 I take it like from Dynatron with $1 a day on monitoring?

What about a hidden cam in the car with some tap recording or digital recording or such like around the pedals?

Thanks.

gibler
17-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Heh, I just live where eh only problem is the occasional annoying sod who pulls your wipers forward :)

farenheit
17-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi,
fastcarman9999 i've managed to get mine installed by a pro' fitter but for the life of me ' we (both of us) cant get the alarm to lock the doors once the engine is started or even driving.

If i lock the doors manually whilst driving or with the engine running with the remote, and switch off the engine, the doors unlock fine.

The instructions we have are very vague and i was hoping you could help me out on this.

Is there something i am suppose to do to tell the alarm to lock the doors when ive started the car or driving? Do i have to program it?

Please help

Many Thanks

T

slicknick1
03-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Alright, hopefully I can clear a few things up for some of you guys because I have just recently (today feb. 2nd 2007) finished my meticulous and hard search for the perfect alarm to fit my needs.

I have a 97 toyota camry but I have WAY too much to protect inside. I have 2 12" subs, 4 boston acoustics door speakers (like the best) 1 amplifier (about to be two) 1 ipod interface adapter and a high tech car stereo head unit. Needless to say, I need (needed* cuz I just bought the one I decided on) something good.

now as far as bobotheclown's claim that car alarms have been extinct for 10 years...yeah right! As far as insurance premiums discounts...I JUST got off the phone with State Farm and they told me that they haven't started awarding discounts for ANY car alarm yet. BEFORE YOU BUY, GIVE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY A CALL! They don't just give discounts to cheap, factory-installed alarms (or at least most don't). They probably have to be somewhat high tech. No for the last guy's inquiry about the locking once the ignition is turned on, some (not all) car alarms have this feature.

If your manual says that yours does, contact the company you bought it from. If you had it professionally hooked up, take it back to them too and they may figure out what's wrong. Now to the guy that was complaining about how some people install the car alarms these days and that said "the best car alarm in the world would be useless without proper install" I agree with you for the most part.

Were you talking about if someone breaks in, pops your hood, and smashes the siren that it would be useless? I just didn't know what you meant. Hopes this helps guys cuz I know I learned a LOT searching for all these things

plod
03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Alright, hopefully I can clear a few things up for some of you guys because I have just recently (today feb. 2nd 2007) finished my meticulous and hard search for the perfect alarm to fit my needs. I have a 97 toyota camry but I have WAY too much to protect inside. I have 2 12" subs, 4 boston acoustics door speakers (like the best) 1 amplifier (about to be two) 1 ipod interface adapter and a high tech car stereo head unit. Needless to say, I need (needed* cuz I just bought the one I decided on) something good. now as far as bobotheclown's claim that car alarms have been extinct for 10 years...yeah right! As far as insurance premiums discounts...I JUST got off the phone with State Farm and they told me that they havent started awarding discounts for ANY car alarm yet. BEFORE YOU BUY, GIVE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY A CALL! They don't just give discounts to cheap, factory-installed alarms (or atleast most dont). They probably have to be somewhat high tech. No for the last guy's inquiry about the locking once the ignition is turned on, some (not all) car alarms have this feature. If your manual says that yours does, contact the company you bought it from. If you had it professionally hooked up, take it back to them too and they may figure out what's wrong. Now to the guy that was complaining about how some people install the car alarms these days and that said "the best car alarm in the world would be useless without proper install" I agree with you for the most part. Were you talking about if someone breaks in, pops your hood, and smashes the siren that it would be useless? I just didn't know what you meant. Hopes this helps guys cuz I know I learned a LOT searching for all these things
you forgot to mention your small penis size