PDA

View Full Version : iexplorer.exe vs explorer.exe

jase12
15-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Can sum1 please tell me why i have two of these running?? The first uses 9,520 of mem and the second uses 11,996 of mem...Suddenly experiencing slow start-up..Am using WinXP

tweak\'e
15-05-2004, 12:56 PM
explorer.exe is windows explorer (for looking around the files in your pc) and explorer.exe is internet explorer which is proberly what your useing to post the post with.

if youre having problems with boot up i would start with checking whats running at startup. run msconfig and go to startup tab.

stu120404
15-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Iexplorer.exe = as the name suggests is Internet Explorer
Explorer.exe = is the windows shell, if you kill this then your have to restart.

I suggest you run scan disk, Disk Defragmenter & a Anti-Virus Programs & as well run Ad-aware & Spybot-S&D to see if there is any thing there that could be slowing down your start-up.

Also have you run windows update?

Also what are your computer specks?

tommy
15-05-2004, 01:00 PM
> explorer.exe is windows explorer (for looking around the files in your
> pc) and explorer.exe is internet explorer which is proberly what your
> useing to post the post with.

I think you mean explorer.exe is Windows Explorer, iexplorer is Internet Explorer.

Murray P
15-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Explorer.exe is your windows explorer and unless you are using a 3rd party file browser is essential to the running of your system.

IE is your internet browser <dig> or should be only that if MS hadn't embedded it into your OS <end dig>.

Is your antivirus upto date, firewall on and upto date, system patched.

Have you run Spybot S&E (use new version 1.3 only. 1.2 is now obsolete), Adaware and CWShredder.

What else is running in you Running Tasks and Processes tabs (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

Clean out your temp files, internet cache, etc.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
15-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Too slow, I need typing lessons :8}

Cheers Murray ;P

tweak\'e
15-05-2004, 01:18 PM
thx tommy..darn typo's. looks like i need typing school to ! (and an english lesson but i won't go there......)

jase12
17-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanx for your input guys!! I ran spybot an X-cleaner an they both found New.Dot net..and after i removed it my reboot waz MUCH faster, I also use www.Answersthatwork.com ..Is this a good thing?? Just for finding out about stuff running in task manager....

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-05-2004, 01:49 PM
iexplorer.exe != Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer = iexplore.exe (sans the r)

iexplorer.exe is a component of RapidBlaster
See here (http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplorer/)

Murray P
17-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Good spotting WTF. No pass marks for the rest of us.

Cheers Murray P

jase12
17-05-2004, 06:46 PM
I use "Avant Browser" when i shut down iexplorer.exe..this closes too!!

Growly
17-05-2004, 06:49 PM
>Explorer.exe = is the windows shell, if you kill this then your have to restart.

Not if you run atleast win 2000 (to my earliest knowledge). Infact, it can help to speed performance in games and other full screen programs by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del, then going to the process list and killing it. When you want it back, simply go back to task manager, and select File --> Run and type in Explorer

you no doubt already know the difference between Iexplorer and explorer, so i wont regurgitate the information.

Growly
17-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Holy schmozen i just realised that WTF is an abbreviation of WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, not someone who's name was actually WTF....

Man, i am a thin sometimes.

Well actually I'm a bit fat most of the time, but i meant... *hits head*

sorry, back to the topic...

mark.p
17-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Avant is just a new front end for IE hence the reason its closing.

mikebartnz
18-05-2004, 01:46 AM
>Explorer.exe is your windows explorer and unless you are using a 3rd party file browser is essential to the running of your system.
Explorer.exe runs even though you may not have opened it because MS has made it all so intertwined. Generaly by closing the only instance of Explorer.exe you will get a desktop rewrite as it almost reboots.