PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Sony CDRW/DVD drive

someone99
25-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a Sony CRX300E CDRW/DVD combo drive that keeps disappearing from windows. Every time I turn on the computer, or restart windows, the drive vanishes. It doesn't appear in My Computer or Explorer, and programs such as Nero and Clone CD cannot find any CD drive installed. When this happens the drive still physically lights up when you put a disc in, and opens and closes as normal.

If I go into the windows add hardware wizard, as soon as it reaches the 'Is the hardware connected?' prompt, the drive magically pops up in Explorer/Nero etc and works normally. At least until the computer gets turned off or restarted, when it vanishes again.

Apart from this the drive works perfectly. I can't seem to find any drivers beyond what XP used on installation, either for the 300E (OEM) or the 300A retail release of the unit. I've never experienced similar problems with other hardware in this system.

System specs: Athlon XP 2400+, 256 MB RAM, XP Pro SP1.

Thanks for any help.

nadius
25-03-2004, 09:39 PM
you may need to edit the registry.
go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

look for the values: "Lowerfilters" and "Upperfilters". then delete them.
restart.

have a read thru this article first.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553