PDA

View Full Version : XP Lite

Waltzzz
29-02-2004, 09:40 PM
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

I had a look at this and downloaded the trial. Looks good and is reasonably priced at about $40 US.

But it is strange that there are no reviews I can find via Google. I don't dare use it at this point. Has anyone at PC World used this?

Would br great if you could test it and post a review.

Walter

hamstar
29-02-2004, 11:13 PM
That thing is awesome!!!!

but nzd$60.50...

Elephant
29-02-2004, 11:14 PM
> http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
>
> I had a look at this and downloaded the trial. Looks
> good and is reasonably priced at about $40 US.

OK. I had a look at the link you supplied. It seems to me that you have been brave enough in the past to dual boot Linux and WinXP home. Quite a bit of what the XPlite can be achieved with using the likes of TweakUI.

> But it is strange that there are no reviews I can
> find via Google. I don't dare use it at this point.
> Has anyone at PC World used this?
Well I haven't used it and I'm not going to at this point. My reason is that I have only once had to reformat my hard disk since installing WinXP.

> Would br great if you could test it and post a
> review.
It would be great if you test it too.
While I have removable hard drives for backup and checking out shareware and different operating systems I am not sufficiently intested to test it for you.
>
> Walter

mikebartnz
01-03-2004, 12:00 AM
>Quite a bit of what the XPlite can be achieved with using the likes of
>TweakUI.

TweakUI can't remove Outlook or things like that so it is quite different as it can completely remove items not just switch them off.
98Lite was a very good program I gather so I reckon if you can afford it go for it.

mikebartnz
01-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Downloaded the free trial which was very limited and reckon it would be worth getting the paid version.

Elephant
01-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Ummm. Do you mean removing Outlook or Outlook Express?

When installing Office you don't need to install Outlook for example. If you don't install Outlook then you won't need a Program to remove it
will you?

mikebartnz
01-03-2004, 11:59 AM
OK ! It is Outlook Express that it can remove.

dchip
01-03-2004, 04:09 PM
If you just want to tweak your system to make it faster then try this site:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

If you want to change the way things work or disable certain things, have you tried this program?:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4083.html

or would you rather be a fish?:p

MrBeef
01-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Fish is good, fish is bloody excellent if only could catch them

dchip
01-03-2004, 05:53 PM
lol....try the chocolate ones .....they're a bit easier.

ps: pardon my spamin.... but..but...he started it...oh well .....back in the corner again I guess...as usual:p

Megaman
01-03-2004, 07:05 PM
i downloaded xp trial, but im not keen to install it. do i need another partition?

if so, can anyone point me to where i can get a free partition resizer that keeps data?

dchip
01-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Here's a trial version of the one I use:
http://www.acronis.com/download/

I'm not sure if the trial version let's you make changes or not but I suspect that it may......in the meantime I'll keep looking for a freebie and post here when I find one.

dchip
01-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Partition Manager 2.40 (Stable), seems to rate quite well you can find it here:
http://ev1.ranish.com/~mranish/part/

mikebartnz
01-03-2004, 10:24 PM
QParted

Waltzzz
09-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the responses to my original post. What I'd still like to see is a professional review of the product, by PC World staff, in the magazine. I am still curious why such reviews are not already online, perhaps this product - for all its professional look and price has legal problems. The strange thing is that it is much easier to find a cracked version on the net than the legitimate product.

godfather
09-03-2004, 09:58 AM
http://www.tweakhound.com/reviews/xplite/

Mzee
15-03-2004, 02:11 PM
I have been using Windows NT4 on old computers in place of W95.
NT4 is very reliable and compact, but lacks up to date software.
I think that XP lite may be a good stable alternative.

PoWa
15-03-2004, 06:13 PM
"From the components I choose to remove, I gained approximately 230MB of hard drive space. The makers of the program state that it is possible to make XP itself take up under 350MB if you completely strip it down. Thats more shrinkage than a swim in a cold pool while viewing nudie pictures of Oprah can produce!"

:^O

Also on a new XP install AtomicXP is really good for getting rid of a few annoying "features" xp has.

Mzee
15-03-2004, 07:06 PM
I downloaded XPlite and used it with the following results.

OS XP Professional.
Original size of Windows folder = 1.14gb
Original Ghost Image Primary partition = 918mb

Size of Windows folder after treatment = 1.02gb
Size of Ghost Image after treatment = 977mb
It only removed small items & left a trail of dead links & over 200 errors in the registry.
I did this twice, the first time I removed the SP1 files & the whole thing fell over. I have Ghosted it back to the original.
XPlite does not seem to address any of the annoying & risky items which "XP-Anti Spy" does.
XPlite claims to be able to remove IExplorer, I doubt that it can because it is used for the file manager etc. Anyway it is needed because most editors use it by default, also it is a very good Browser.
I am dissapointed with it, certainly not worth $39US!
I will stick with NT for the older computers, Ghost file size 46mb.

mikebartnz
16-03-2004, 12:19 AM
> also it is a very good Browser.
Sorry but through that statement you go into the don't trust category. If you like dealing with Swiss cheese I am very happy for you.

mikebartnz
16-03-2004, 12:28 AM
You downloaded but did you pay for it because as I said in a previous post the freebie was very limited and I'm sorry but your stats for the ghost image does not hold water

Mzee
16-03-2004, 08:36 PM
I had a look at the Ghost file sizes, the later one had less compression, so have done a new test. ( I paid $39 US)

I have just installed XP-Professional on a Celeron 333mhtz with only 128mgb Ram, 32 of which is for the screen.
I did not install SP1 as it is not required on this computer.
I removed all the games, accessibility files, all server files, Internet Explorer, all wall paper, etc etc. Installed Opera to replace IE6.

The result is that the windows folder is now 451mgb & the total C: drive is 781mgb, this includes Norton AV 2003 and Zone Alarm.
Seems to be completely stable, considering the low memory & old drives is reasonably fast. Ghost file on high compression is 352mgb.

On my other box (P4) I reduced the Windows folder from 1.14gbts to 636mgb. There was a lot of garbage on it.
I did not remove Explorer, but removed the SP1 files.

This could be very useful for old computers and laptops. It is smaller than ME & more stable. NT4 would be my choice but is limited for software.

NOTE: Make a backup of the SP1 files because Windows will ask to see them during the final setup. It may also ask for the Windows XP CD.
It would be advisable to activate XP before altering it.