PDA

View Full Version : Dosn't Go!

Jackiex
23-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Just recived parts for my new PC and found out that it won't even power on! I checked all the connections and removed cards etc one buy one and rechecked to see if it will start, but had no luck. I am interested in how you can check the mother board and PSU to see which is at fault.

Note: I have no other PSU's, mother boards etc to check with sorry

chiefnz
23-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah could be a number of things, check to see if the power switch lead from the case to the Mobo is fitted correctly. If it is, it could be your PSU or alternatively there is a short somewhere.

Sorry to say the only real way to find out what the problem is, is to get hold of another case with PSU or aother PSU and fit it then see what happens.

Where did you buy your parts from? If they're all new and from the same company you can always take it back and ask for replacements, assuming you fitted everything correctly... not sure bout legislation on returning items [I always skips those posts on F1 ;)]

cheers
chiefnz

Billy T
23-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Assuming you have checked that there is power at the wall socket and all the plug orientations etc, the PSU won't run without a load so to check that you need a dummy load of some sort.

I use a 12 volt car tail light bulb with flying leads attached to make power supplies start without any computer loads but I'm guessing you don't have technical resources so best bet might be to take the PSU & motherboard/cpu to a computer shop and get them to check for you.

Sometimes the fan will kick momentarily as the power goes on, so you could look for that as a sign that the PSU wants to work but doesn't have a load.

What is your level of experience in PC building?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tweak\'e
23-01-2004, 08:15 PM
simple thing to try is hitting the reset switch. some mobo's won't switch on (when brand new) unless you hit the reset. also check that ram is installed.

drcspy
23-01-2004, 08:54 PM
heres a thought

did you use metal screws or plastic standouts to attach the mobo to the case ?.........cause when I built my pc the asus manual which came witht the mobo said use 9 metal screws which are provided so I did...........goddam the thing woulnd't power up at all.......so I took out all the screws and used the plastic standouts .....well it's been running fine ever since......seems the mobo needed to be insulated from the case but asus didn't seem to realize that or something...........

tweak\'e
23-01-2004, 09:15 PM
> heres a thought
>
> did you use metal screws or plastic standouts to
> attach the mobo to the case ?.........cause when I
> built my pc the asus manual which came witht the mobo
> said use 9 metal screws which are provided so I
> did...........goddam the thing woulnd't power up at
> all.......so I took out all the screws and used the
> plastic standouts .....well it's been running fine
> ever since......seems the mobo needed to be insulated
> from the case but asus didn't seem to realize that or
> something...........

the trap for young players here is having one of the metal standoffs in the wrong place shorting out the mobo.

Laura
23-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Congratulations Tweake'e on four thousand posts.

That's a very impressive history of helping others in Press F1.

As someone who's been here for only a short time but realises how much we newbies depend on people like you, I thank you in advance for the next four thousand posts.

(Even if we may have differences about how to get rid of a possum)

Greg S
23-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Jeez 4000! hehe Nice one Laura for noticing these things :)