PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Good CPU Temperature????

M@TT
19-01-2004, 05:25 PM
I Have a AMD Athlon XP 2100+ running on a ga-7kvmp-p Gigabyte motherboard. It has a volcano 9 cooler running at 3000rpm and the cpu temp is about 50-60 while the system temp is about 55-65. When i get it working hard it gets to the 70's.

How does this sound? I am having stability issues so could this be a cause?

thank for any help

M@TT
19-01-2004, 05:35 PM
woops, sorry thats a GA-7VKMP-P Motherboard

--------------

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VKMP-P.htm

hamstar
19-01-2004, 05:35 PM
We had like 6 posts about this last week... there is a search function.

but the rules say we must be nice, so....

50-60 is a bit high, you should maybe get some airflow by adding fans or a blowhole.

Everybody else will probably say the same thing.

My XP1800 runs at 45C while surfing, hosting a dc hub, cruising dc, and running MSN and a firewall.

everybody else will probably say the same thing.

M@TT
19-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks for being nice
I have a system fan already which is running about 2000rpm sucking air out of the case, i have set all jumpers right and have renewed the thermal paste so i suppose its a cpu fault somewhere. sigh.. nothing a few $$ will fix.

thanks

Pheonix
19-01-2004, 05:56 PM
The problem appears to be your case temp. Do you have it sitting in a hotwater cupboard? :D
The CPu fan relies on blowing COOLER air over the heatsink. Without cooler air, you will not drop the CPU temp.
Try it with the side cover off. If it improves greatly, look at your airflow for your case.

Greg S
19-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Those temps aren't unusual

Pheonix
19-01-2004, 06:30 PM
One of my PC's is XP2100 and runs to 55 after game and about 40 just surfing. MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-7VA, standard "packaged" fan. Utilise cpuidle which drops the "low-use temp" quite a bit.
So that is what I am going off.

Greg S
19-01-2004, 06:36 PM
If you've got decent cooling then yeah you could expect yours a bit lower. But our warm ambient temperatures lately will contribute to his slightly higher temp

mejobloggs
19-01-2004, 09:51 PM
the cpu temp is about 50-60
> while the system temp is about 55-65. When i get it
> working hard it gets to the 70's.

Same as mine, except when it gets up high, it dies.

JohnD
19-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I recently (carefully) installed a Celeron (approx. 2GHz) in a school server - it seems to run at next to no load at about 50 degrees which surprised me.

Terry Porritt
20-01-2004, 09:55 AM
-273.1 deg Kelvin

Biggles
20-01-2004, 01:57 PM
The ambient temp right now does make a big difference. While doing intensive game playing at the weekend, on hot days, my temp rises to about 55 on the CPU, and near 50 on the other areas monitored. Play the same games late at night however, and the CPU temp stays below 50. When not playing games (it does happen) the temp stays a comfortable 40 on the CPU and around 38 elsewhere. I've currently got a front and rear fan, plus a slot fan next to the video card (GeForce 4 Ti4400), in addition to the CPU fan (P4 2.6GHz).

Basically I think I need to drill a big hole in the side and plug my vaccum cleaner in to it. Noisy, but that would cool the damn thing down.

Greg S
20-01-2004, 02:07 PM
> The ambient temp right now does make a big
> difference.

Absolutemento

> I've currently got a
> front and rear fan, plus a slot fan next to the video
> card (GeForce 4 Ti4400), in addition to the CPU fan
> (P4 2.6GHz).

Well we have a few fans do we, Bruce? Well don't go here (http://www.dansdata.com/icute0301.htm) or you might start suffering from Fan Envy

Martina
20-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Oh c'mon Terry - surely that's - 273.1 dec Celsius which is zero Kelvin???

yang11
20-01-2004, 02:20 PM
while playing c&c:general:zero hour.
the game would sometimes crash out at 51C.

other times 39.

I got two case fans. the machine is P4 2.4G.

Graham L
20-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Terry's after a Nobel prize. (Or igNobel). B-) Oh well. ;-) Anyway the Celsius scale is all wrong anyway --- Celsius had 100 as freezing and 0 as boiling.

Biggles
20-01-2004, 02:35 PM
>Well we have a few fans do we, Bruce? Well don't go here or you might start suffering from Fan Envy

Problem is I need to find a simple cooling solution that doesn't involve throwing the current case away or drilling holes all over the place. I'm so lazy.

tweak\'e
20-01-2004, 02:50 PM
people with high (50+) case temps most likly have temp sensors that are reporting to high. exspecially those where the case temps are hotter than the cpu!

the amount of poorly done cooling sysytems never ceases to amaze me. strangly enough most big branded supermarket pc's have better cooling systems than most home built.

comman mistakes-
fans blowing the wong way
air intake to small compared to the exhaust
grills which block 50% of the air flow
mismatched front and rear fans
pc sitting on carpet blocking the bottom air intake
air intakes sucking in hot exhaust air
case/psu fans sucking cool air away from the heatsink

Greg S
20-01-2004, 02:57 PM
I reckon your temps aren't excessive, unless you start adding more components. I assume you keep the case closed and in a well ventilated area. Also are the components a bit dust clogged?

Worst case scenario may be to get a more efficient PSU that has two fans, and doesn't operate at maximum voltage unless it's called upon by the apps you're running (I have no idea where that's monitored - must be motherboard somewhere).

Biggles
20-01-2004, 03:00 PM
> people with high (50+) case temps most likly have
> temp sensors that are reporting to high. exspecially
> those where the case temps are hotter than the cpu!

Mine's an Intel board with built-in monitoring. They do stress that the monitoring is indicative only and should not be used to verify cooling.

> the amount of poorly done cooling sysytems never
> ceases to amaze me. strangly enough most big branded
> supermarket pc's have better cooling systems than
> most home built.

I wouldn't call that strange at all. I buy cheap cause I don't have the money to do anything different and that means a cheap case. Next time round I'll put more money into the case and cooling at the get go. With supermarket PCs, at least they have often have a case/cooling match at the start, such as fan vents for the CPU fan that take the hot air right out of the case rahter than into it.

> comman mistakes-
> fans blowing the wong way
Not guilty
> air intake to small compared to the exhaust
Yeah, I should drill out the front.
> grills which block 50% of the air flow
Yep. Where's that drill ...
> mismatched front and rear fans
Not guilty
> pc sitting on carpet blocking the bottom air intake
Cough, cough
> air intakes sucking in hot exhaust air
Not guilty
> case/psu fans sucking cool air away from the heatsink
Possibly.

Cooling. It's black art. Methinks we should do an article about this.

Megaman
20-01-2004, 03:41 PM
is there a utility that checks the tempreture? i would like to know what tempreture my cyclone computers ultra small form factor com00ter runs @ as the only cooling fan is the cpu fan for my celeron 1.2ghz. thats right, the psu has no fan and neither does the inbuilt gfx.

JJJJJ
20-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Up until a couple of weeks ago I had an athlon xp 2000+.
All through December the cpu temp was 50-55 c. Chassis temp about 35.
Prior to this cpu was running in the 35-40 range. In December I tried it for a couple of days with the lid off and temp never got over 40.
The case had three fans, BUT the comp was also placed alongside a window which let in sun all morning. I think a lot of the trouble is caused by IDE strap cables which obstruct air flow.
My new comp is a P4 3.0. It has no extra fan and last time I checked temp was 37. BUT this one has a SATA drive. No straps, just a skinny cable.
Jack

Greg S
20-01-2004, 04:04 PM
> is there a utility that checks the tempreture?

Yes there are - both software and hardware options. If you think it's an issue, then suggest you check the CPU and Motherboard makers' websites.

> as the only cooling fan is the cpu fan for my celeron
> 1.2ghz. thats right, the psu has no fan and neither
> does the inbuilt gfx.

Ouch!

But in my opinion, if it's a standard store-built unit, almost certainly it isn't running at too high temp and could well be that it just isn't made to be hot enough to need the ventilation... eg the PSU may be 200W or less.

I suggest that readers don't get excessively worried about the overheating issues - mostly people here are talking about either very high performance machines, overclocking or cooling component breakdown.

This may all be a bit alarmist - but it's useful for later awareness.

Jester
20-01-2004, 04:04 PM
> Cooling. It's black art. Methinks we should do an
> article about this.

Methinks with the amount of discussion here about cooling and the balmy summer we are having an article would be timely!

J
:D

JamesStewart
20-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Im running a P4 3.2ghz HT at 22 C ......

Megaman
20-01-2004, 04:09 PM
> > is there a utility that checks the tempreture?
>
> Yes there are - both software and hardware options.
> If you think it's an issue, then suggest you check
> the CPU and Motherboard makers' websites.

a software one would be good. i'll try the intel site

> > as the only cooling fan is the cpu fan for my
> celeron
> > 1.2ghz. thats right, the psu has no fan and
> neither
> > does the inbuilt gfx.
>
> Ouch!
>
> But in my opinion, if it's a standard
> store-built unit, almost certainly it isn't running
> at too high temp and could well be that it just isn't
> made to be hot enough to need the ventilation... eg
> the PSU may be 200W or less.

yeah. the computer came with that.

> I suggest that readers don't get excessively worried
> about the overheating issues - mostly people here are
> talking about either very high performance machines,
> overclocking or cooling component breakdown.

i'm just wondering what the tempreture is. i have no worries as i have no need to overclock, as i don't play that intensive games. just the sims and need for speed. we got the playstation 2 for the games :D

Greg S
20-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Bruce and Jester - nah - it may be a bit of an alarmist issue.

But of course, then again, it does raise the measure of detailed computer knowledge resources that the mag is here for

Biggles
20-01-2004, 04:31 PM
I guess the question is how hot is too hot? Intel, in conversations with PCW staffers, have specified quite low temps as being "safe". And many of us are certainly now getting much greater temps inside the case than we did 24 months ago with lower specced CPUs and video cards, not to mention slower and cooler hard drives.

Megaman
20-01-2004, 04:43 PM
> > Cooling. It's black art. Methinks we should do an
> > article about this.
>
>
> Methinks with the amount of discussion here about
> cooling and the balmy summer we are having an article
> would be timely!
>
> J
> :D

If there is an article, be sure to mention me. ok? ;)

tweak\'e
20-01-2004, 04:52 PM
> guess the question is how hot is too hot?

personally i like to keep case temps to under 40. this is purly to keep high speed hardrives and vid cards cool (which helps make them last their exspected lifetime) i try to keep mine within 5 degrees of room temp.

with cpu's as long as in summer its has a bit of headroom before hitting the cpu's max temp as listed by the manafacture its fine by me. my own hits 50 under big load (indicated) however real cpu temp is more like 70ish. it would have been hitting 80-90 with stock heatsink (cpu has 90 max temp)

Big John
20-01-2004, 06:03 PM
> Im running a P4 3.2ghz HT at 22 C ......

methinks you have got the wrong diode there. My P3 1Ghz which only gets to 28 degrees in the winter is currently running at 38 to 40 due to the high ambient temps.

I can get it to read 22 as well if I select the wrong diode or temp sensor.

My P4 3.2 however runs at 40 degrees idling and under full load gets up to 67 degrees. This with a huge Zalman heatsink on it and you can feel the heat coming out the back.

When installing I accidently dropped a cable into the heatsink and the fan got stuck and did not turn. I ran a memory test for 4 minutes and turned it off. I discovered the problem when I went to remove the heatsink to change a memory module and I burned my fingers on the fins of the heatsink. Had to wait 4 minutes for it to cool down enough to remove it. So they generate do lots of heat when loaded.

agent_24
20-01-2004, 06:29 PM
in my view 70 degrees is not what you want

my Pc alert 4 program says my CPU is 58 when playing games, but AIDA 32 is always 5 degress less than PC Alert. however im told that 55 degrees is when u get lagging and crashing - on a AMD Duron (what i have) i dunno about the "crashing" temp for athlon XP, but what Core does ur CPU have? i have a volcano nine too. those things can go up to 5400 RPM. stick it on that

Martina
20-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Nah - Celcius used a thermometer made by Joseph-Nicolas Delisle showing zero as boiling point but he never promoted this scale. Here http://www.astro.uu.se/history/celsius_scale.html is a bit of write-up.

But we're a bit OT here so better cut out

Thanks

M...

M@TT
21-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Wow, this post has taken off

5400rpm is great @ cooling but i can hardly concentrate with all that buzzing going on. Thats another thing, how do Compaq get their evo computer so quiet??? you can hardly hear them running????

tweak\'e
21-01-2004, 12:24 PM
> how do Compaq get their evo computer so quiet???

good design work, something a lot of people don't do. they proberly run a lot hotter than i would like but it should be well withen the limits.

5400rpm is not exactly extremly fast however it does depend on the make of fan, the heatsink used and quality of the case.

M@TT
21-01-2004, 01:51 PM
could you recomend a good brand for a quiet but fastish fan that could be stuck on a heat sink? Id love to get the sound down for watching dvd's etc

tweak\'e
21-01-2004, 01:59 PM
panaflow are one of the better ones. otherwise a variable speed fan is the best optoin (or speed controller). even oem's like HP have used variable fans. unfortunatly most of the eay to get variables seem to adjust from normal noise/speed to bloody loud/fast.

also, if possible, install a larger but slower fan. eg install a 80mm fan instead of a 60mm. you may need an adapter but it does queit it down without loosing any cooling ability.