PDA

View Full Version : Prefix shortcuts with "Shortcut to..."

Greg S
20-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Somewhere there's a setting to disable the "Shortcut to..." prefix, but I can't remember where. I've looked in TweakUI and Folder Options, but can't find it. Please someone remind me?

Win XP Pro.

Thx

Jen C
20-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Yeah, it is called Right-click the icon and select rename .. :p

Or, you might want to look at this: Remove the 'Shortcut to...' Prefix on Shortcuts (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/339/) :D

Greg S
20-12-2003, 06:44 PM
> Yeah, it is called Right-click the icon and select
> rename .. :p

Thanks Jen. But I'm looking at nearly a thousand files I want to create shortcuts for. There's an inbuilt setting somewhere which'll remove the prefix. Prefer not to download a programme to do something I can do

> Or, you might want to look at this:
> Remove the 'Shortcut to...' Prefix on
> Shortcuts (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/339
> ) :D

Mike
20-12-2003, 06:50 PM
> I've looked in TweakUI

Not hard enough though :) Click on "Explorer" on the left, and in the list on the right scroll down about half way and untick "Prefix 'Shortcut to' on new shortcuts".

Mike.

Jen C
20-12-2003, 06:52 PM
You don't need to download that program to do it automatically for you. They also give the registry keys that you need to tweake if you wish to do it manually.

Look down the page a bit further. Or is it not a registry tweake that you were looking for?

Greg S
20-12-2003, 06:52 PM
> > I've looked in TweakUI
>
> Not hard enough though :)

*sigh* Too true! :8}

Thanks Mike.. Sorted :)

Greg S
20-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks again Jen - actually was just opening regedit as Mike replied. As you can gather I don't look too hard - I didn't see the TweakUI answer at first, and neither did I read the full page on the link you gave me! Sad I know :(

Jen C
20-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Mike to the rescue :D - no manual hacking of the registry required!

I also looked in Tweak UI and missed that one :8}

Learn something new around here everyday :)

Mike
20-12-2003, 07:25 PM
> Mike to the rescue :D - no manual hacking of the
> registry required!
>
> I also looked in Tweak UI and missed that one :8}
>
> Learn something new around here everyday :)

I prefer registry hacking :D

Mike.