PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my laptop out of hibernate?

Smurf
12-12-2003, 12:13 PM
HP Pavilion ze4315. I have my laptop set to hibernate after 30 mins of inactivity. How do you get it to come out of hibernate..I had thought by moving the mouse this would happen. It doesn't. The only way to reactivate is to hold the on/off button for 4secs+ and have the machine turn off and then reboot when I turn it on again. Have I missunderstood the principle of "hibernate"" ?
Should I being doing something else to reactivate the machine..the manual is not clear. Thanks

Barnabas
12-12-2003, 12:24 PM
You should just be able to press the on off button to bring it out of hibernation. Moving the mouse or keyboard will only work when it is in standby mode which is different. Try just pressing the on off button.
B.

somebody
12-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Is there a "wake" button somewhere?

Smurf
12-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks B. I will try that again. I did try to do that previously and it would not reactivate, hence my holding the on/off button down for 4+secs and turning the machine off and then rebooting. Smurf

Winston001
12-12-2003, 12:33 PM
I use a Compaq NX9005. It awakes from hibernation when I press the power button for half a second.
Have a look at the HP site. There are various combinations of applications which interfere with hibernation. For example multi-function printers.

Or your machine my have a software fault.
Good luck

Winston001

godfather
12-12-2003, 12:38 PM
One quick press of the power button works on my ZE4315.

Smurf
12-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Thank you to all that have replied. I am now going to hibernate and then try again.

godfather
12-12-2003, 01:48 PM
One other thing, I use Standby on the laptop, not Hibernate.

Many software packages are not happy under Hibernate.

Winston001
12-12-2003, 02:13 PM
> I am now going to
> hibernate and then try again.

Is this wise? Generally you should wait for winter before hibernating. Right now you should be gobbling down as much food as you can, followed by mating, and then a good long snooze. :)

Smurf
12-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Well I think you are right Godfather. I must have a software incompatibility with hibernation. It is certainly not working and even when manually trying the screen hangs indefinitely.

Winston..nice to see the sense of humour ! :-)

godfather
12-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Try Standby instead? With no applications open. Ask the software makers how many of their applications are able to be used with Hibernate without a problem? I suspect they would run for cover.

Winston001 is used to Hibernating, being down there in Invercargill (also known as Invertarctica). He is out early this year. The ice must have finally melted.

The feasting and other activity sounds like a good lifestyle though. I might get to try part of it when I am down there at Xmas.

Graham L
12-12-2003, 04:04 PM
I wonder if there might be a setting in the BIOS which is wrong. All this power management relies on a complicated "cooperation" between the OS and the machine's hardware and the BIOS code. Sometimes they aren't very cooperative. :D

jcr1
12-12-2003, 05:23 PM
I bought a HP ze4520 in October. I was having the same problem with Hibernation, so after reading this topic I have gone to power options in control panel and turned hibernation off, which apparently saves 191mb? at the same time.

Smurf
12-12-2003, 05:35 PM
For what it is worth and before the replies came in I emailed HP with the problem. Their answer was to uninstall Power Management and to update the bios. It appears that both GF and Graham Lees hit the problem on the head..well done guys. I have chosen not to persue hibernation but to use Standby mode as GF suggested rather than go thru the rigmarole of updating the bios with which I am not familiar. As a relative novice I don't wish to upset an otherwise working computer. ;-)

Jester
12-12-2003, 05:36 PM
When I hibernate on my PC (hold shift and click standy when closing down), the PC saves everything in RAM to the hard drive, then turns off. The difference is that when I start up the procedure is faster and the programs are where I left them. I therefore understand hibernation as "being turned off, but remembering where you were".

If you want to wake it quick, so it's not really "off", use Standby.

J
:D

PS, there was a mention of this in the Dec/Jan PC World. Another PC World link is here (http://pcworld.co.nz/PCWorld/tipworld.nsf/UNID/401F1B968B098148CC256D58000E4351?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,hibernate)

Susan B
12-12-2003, 06:07 PM
> When I hibernate on my PC

Crikey, that would be rather uncomfortable wouldn't it? :p :D

godfather
12-12-2003, 06:25 PM
> the PC saves everything in
> RAM to the hard drive, then turns off. The
> difference is that when I start up the procedure is
> faster and the programs are where I left them. I
> therefore understand hibernation as "being turned
> off, but remembering where you were".

And that can be the problem. If the application(s) don't like being suspended to RAM and freeze, it won't wake up.

Its the old case of, "if it works it's fine, if it doesn't then don't use it"

Unfortunately many applications are not suited to being suspended.

Jester
12-12-2003, 06:58 PM
> > When I hibernate on my PC
>
> Crikey, that would be rather uncomfortable wouldn't
> it? :p :D

Yep, it can be, there's not much room under the desk and the b****y kids keep bugging me .... :P:P:P