PDA

View Full Version : $$$$$$$ or Scam?

fus1_n
18-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Has anyone recived a Foward E-mail like this? It looks like a scam, but you never know. Has anyone got money from this thing?

> > >>Subject: PLEEEEEASE READ!!!! It was on the news!
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Kathy South
> > >> Alcoa - EHS Maintenance Coordinator
> > >> Phone: 765/771-3547
> > >> Pager: 765/420-6575
> > >>
> > >> To all of my friends, I do not usually forward messages, but this is
> > >>from my good friend Pearlas Sanborn and she really is an attorney.
> > >> If she says that this will work - it WILL work. After all, what have
> > >>you got to lose?
> > >> SORRY EVERYBODY..JUST HAD TO TAKE THE CHANCE!!!
> > >> I'm an attorney, and I know the law. This thing is for real.
> > >> Rest assured AOL and Intel will follow through with their promises
> > >>for fear of facing a multimillion-dollar class action suit similar to
> > >>the
> > >>one filed by PepsiCo against General Electric not too long ago.
> > >>
> > >> Dear Friends,
> > >> Please do not take this for a junk letter. Bill Gates is sharing his
> > >>fortune. If you ignore this you will repent later. Microsoft and AOL are
> > >>now
> > >>the largest Internet companies and in an effort to make sure that
> > >>Internet
> > >>Explorer remains the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are
> > >>running
> > >>an e-mail beta test.
> > >> When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will
> > >>track it (if you are a Microsoft Windows user) for a two week time
> > >>period.
> > >> For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay
> > >>you
> > >> $245.00, for every person that you sent it to that forwards it on,
> > >>Microsoft will pay you $243.00 and for every third person that receives
> > >>it,
> > >>you will be paid $241.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft will contact you
> > >>for
> > >>your address and then send you a cheque.
> > >> Regards.
> > >> Charles S. Bailey
> > >> General Manager Field Operations
> > >> >1-800-842-2332 Ext. 1085 or 904-245-1085 or RNX 292-1085
> > >> Charles_Bailey@csx.com < mailto:Charles_Bailey@csx.com
> > >> >
> > >> I thought this was a scam myself, but two weeks after receiving this
> > >>e-mail and forwarding it on, Microsoft contacted me for my address and
> > >>within days, I received a cheque for US$24,800.00. You need to respond
> > >>before the beta testing is over. If anyone can afford this Bill Gates is
> > >>the
> > >>man.
> > >> It's all marketing expense to him. Please forward this to as many
> > >>people as possible. You are bound to get at least US$10,000.00.
> > >> We're not going to help them out with their e-mail beta test without
> > >>getting a little something for our time. My brother's girlfriend got in
> > >> on this a few months ago. When I went to visit him for the Baylor/UT
> > >>
> > >> game.
> > >>
> > >> She showed me her check. It was for the sum of $4,324.44 and was
> > >>stamped
> > >> "Paid In Full".
> > >>
> > >> Like I said before, I know the law, and this is for real
> > >>
> > >> Intel and AOL are now discussing a merger which would make them the
> > >> largest Internet company and in an effort make sure that AOL remains
> > >>the
> > >> most widely used program, Intel and AOL are running an e-mail beta
> > >>test.

godfather
18-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Its a Scam (http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax5.asp?HName=INTEL-AOL+MERGER+HOAX)

beama
18-11-2003, 10:24 PM
mine met the fate of the delete key
1 vote scam

metla
18-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Come on,How could anybody take that seriously?

PoWa
18-11-2003, 10:31 PM
> Come on,How could anybody take that seriously?

I did.

:^O

fus1_n
18-11-2003, 10:35 PM
> > Come on,How could anybody take that seriously?
>
> I did.

And nothing has happened, I guess? :P

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-11-2003, 10:38 PM
In my economics exam today, there was a thing on...

Scarcity, thus not been able to have every thing we want. They are wasting a mean of yours, time!

Chilling_Silently
18-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Oh please.. I got this about 4 years ago!!!

And something that will tell you if its real or not:

How can they post success reports if they've already sent it two weeks earlier?

My aunty got.... This happened when I...
But you already sent it...?!?!?!?!

Chill.

peter.jonsson
18-11-2003, 10:59 PM
No, noone has ever got money from a thing like this but the original sender, a Pyramid-game it is...nothing but a scam.

Sorry you had to ask if this was for real or not, dont get fooled by the numerous scams on the net.

Chilling_Silently
18-11-2003, 11:22 PM
You might wanna email the poor soul who emailed this to you, and anybody else who it may have been CC'd to.

You were right in thinking it was a Scam, and well done coming to check it out before sending it on :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Greg S
18-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Good grief - it's true - NZ'ers really are a gullible lot

Chilling_Silently
18-11-2003, 11:40 PM
HEY! I resemble that... :p

PoWa
19-11-2003, 02:13 AM
b]resent[/b] is the word you are looking for chill.

Thomas
19-11-2003, 07:08 AM
Despite your views,

SORRY EVERYBODY..JUST HAD TO TAKE THE CHANCE.;)

Winston001
19-11-2003, 09:32 AM
AND CONGRATULATIONS THOMAS, YOU HAVE WON !!!

Just send $1000 postage, packaging & registration in a brown paper bag
to:

Winston001
Post Restante
Invercargill.

You shall receive your just reward.

Wayne H
19-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Our receptioist at my old job got one similar from a company they were trolling for email addresses send this on to ten people with our name as a CC and get free movie tickets, SHE ACTUALLY GOT THE TICKETS!!!!!.
WOW was i sceptical at the time? hell yeah but she went to the movies and i did not. :-(
The best bit, I got an email from the company involed saying I was on the mailing list and would i like to be removed phone this number 0800... and they actually removed me.. double WOW. if only other companies would take a leaf out of their books.

beetle
19-11-2003, 10:12 AM
So W001 where are we going for dinner then?
with the $$$$ you get from T :p we could have lovely dinner or three....

:D

and yeah ive had this email lots....

beetle

Chilling_Silently
19-11-2003, 11:44 AM
/me was being sarcastic dude :D

Thomas
19-11-2003, 01:16 PM
No Problemo Winston,was that 1 or $2000,with Beetle in act.

Bit worried about the Invercargill bit,didn't know the mail went that far south;)

Biggles
19-11-2003, 04:47 PM
This sorely tempts me to break PressF1 rules by be unfriendly and insulting. You have no idea how hard I have to struggle not to use insults when considering the people who would take such emails seriously. But luckily I have some self control, so I won't resort to comparing anyone to a vegetable.

What I will say is that any email that urges you to "pass it on" to all your friends is an email you should delete and instantly forget. It's a rule of thumb. No police force in the world alerts people to ATM scams by sending out emails that urge you to pass it on to all your friends. No anti-virus company in the world alerts you to new threats and then urges you to pass it on to all your friends. And there is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme that will pay you money based on passing it on to all your friends (and if there is it's called a pyramid scheme and is ILLEGAL in NZ law).

The only people with any interest in email being "passed on to all your friends" are spammers, hoaxers and morons who either profit from, or enjoy provoking and watching the gullibility of others.

Graham L
19-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Don't worry about it, Bruce. It's a well known fact that if you have a computer, you can turn off your brain. ]:)

Chilling_Silently
19-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Im sure the rules dont apply to those who make them.... ;-)

Thomas
19-11-2003, 08:10 PM
More so I would have said.

.>Im sure the rules dont apply to those who make them....

Chemical Ali
19-11-2003, 08:28 PM
SCAM

mccyhytr758
17-04-2005, 08:44 AM
I did a search for Charles_Bailey@csx.com and found a link to www.hoax-slayer.com which indeed said that the email was a big hoax.
I did respond to the same email that I had received by forward emailing every email address listed on the email itself with my added comment:
Why is your email address listed on this email to me? JUst thought you'd want to know!
Kind of like spamming them back if you know what I mean since I'm skeptical by nature and hadn't gotten info search results prior to my decision to forward email addresses included in the actual email.
I did the info search afterwards and that's when I found the hoax info.
Just thought you'd want to know!

mccyhytr758
17-04-2005, 08:53 AM
I should add that turning my brain off when I'm online is my choice(gladly) and that I was extremely bored which is why I emailed the bogus email address to see what response I'd get. So far, I'm getting rejected mail notices which is what I expected and now my spam experiment is done,thanks!

bartsdadhomer
17-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I should add that turning my brain off, and that I was extremely bored

Must be, dragging up a 2yr old crap post
What exactly is the point you're trying to make

Safari
17-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I should add that turning my brain off when I'm online is my choice(gladly) and that I was extremely bored which is why I emailed the bogus email address to see what response I'd get. So far, I'm getting rejected mail notices which is what I expected and now my spam experiment is done,thanks!

Turn your computer off and leave your brain on and go and do something useful.

zqwerty
17-04-2005, 05:29 PM
I got this just the other day and I deleted it. Must be doing the rounds again.

Edward
17-04-2005, 09:24 PM
My cheque should be arriving any day now...

Prescott
17-04-2005, 09:44 PM
i got this the other day:

Mr Kola Johnson.
First Bond Bank ,
ILupeju Branch,
Lagos,Nigeria.

Attn:

I am Kola Johnson, Branch Manager with First Bond Bank,ILupeju Branch, Lagos, Nigeria.
I have an urgent and very profitable business proposition for you that should be handled with extreme confidentiality.
On January 6,2000 a Foreign Consultant and contractor with the Nigerian Railway Corporation Mr. Abbas Gumeri by name made a numbered time FixedDeposit for twelve calendar months valued at US$15.6M (Fifteen Million, Six Hundred United States Dollars Only) in my branch.Upon maturity I sent a routine notification in accordance with the Bank policy to his forwarding address but got no reply. After a month we sent a reminder and finally wediscovered from his contract employers Nigerian Railway Corporation that Mr. Abbas Gumeri died from an automobile accident.On further investigation, we found out that he died without making a Will and all attempts to trace his next of kin was fruitless. I therefore made further investigations and discovered that Mr. Abbas Gumeri did not declare any next of kin or relations in all his official documents including his Bank Deposit paperwork in my Bank. This sum of US$15.6M has been carefully moved out of my bank to Financial and Security Company in Europe for safekeeping.No one will ever come forward to claim it and according to the Law of my country, at the expiration of 7 years the money will revert to the ownership of the State (Government) if nobody applies to claim the fund.This prompted me to contact you.I want to front you as the next of kin of our late client thereby making you the legal beneficiary of the sum of $15.6 million U.S Dollars that is presently in a Financial and Security Company in Europe. I contacted you because it is against our code of ethics to own and operate foreign accounts and your assistance would be needed to claim the money in the Financial and Security Company in Europe.I have unanimously agreed that 30% of the entire sum would be for you if you agree to take part in this profitable transaction,60% for me while the remaining 10% would be used to pay back the expenses that may be incurred during the course of the transaction by both parties after the fund has been claimed and lodged in your account. In the event that you are genunely interested in the transaction,the following information would be needed from you to expedite action

1) Your Full Name .
2) Your Residential or Company Address.
3) Your Private Mobile,Telphone and Fax numbers

Where you can be reached at all time because this transaction entails constant communication. The transaction is 100% legal and totally free of risks as all modalities has been perfected to ensure the hitch free success of the transaction.If you are interested, send the requested information via Email, as soon as possible so that we can proceed urgently.

Regards,

Mr Kola Johnson.

it took its time before this scam got to my gmail account

craigb
18-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Does anyone have any enemys that they would like to have robbed of there identities. This would be the way to go about it.

usednz
09-02-2007, 01:04 PM
[edit: get a life and go spam somewhere else]

beeswax34
09-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Its unbelievable that anyone in their right mind could take this e-mail/letter seriously or even have to check although atleast you dint fall for it so thats good.

mejobloggs
09-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Well, it was a good read. I think I missed this topic a few years ago.

pcuser42
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Put your hand up if you hate bumped threads that are one year old or more. *puts two hands up*