PDA

View Full Version : Horrible loud whirring noise coming from the computer!

mejobloggs
30-09-2003, 08:38 AM
All of a sudden, this horrible loud whirring noise has started coming from the computer, about 2 days ago. Everytime I turn it on, it starts going, and it wont stop.

If you hit it, it stops for a while.

According to AIDA32, my CPU temperature is about 45 degrees C.
It was 41 when I first turned it on, and has crepted up to 45, but I suppose thats only normal. Hmm, now its 46.

Are these temperature normal?

Would it be a fan making the noise, or a hardrive?

My computer is about 1 year old, from Samcor.

mejobloggs
30-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Its is now 47 degrees C

mejobloggs
30-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Is that too high? All I am doing is searching pressf1, no other programs apart from AIDA32.

Athlon Xp 2100
Geforce 4 MX 460
1Gb Ram
Windows XP

mejobloggs
30-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Temp is now 48 degrees. Fan is running at about 5600 rpm

mejobloggs
30-09-2003, 08:52 AM
49 degrees

dotcommander
30-09-2003, 08:56 AM
Sounds like you have yourself a dirty fan. Well that was my problem until I cleaned my PC. Check for obvious particles of crap stuck in there...

Greg S
30-09-2003, 08:59 AM
It sounds very typical of the power supply fan packing in. Normally the cpu temperature will gradually increase, but it shouldn't be a problem unless the noise (and the fan) stop altogether. When you don't hear the noise you need to just feel with your hand at the psu fan outlook if you can feel air blowing out - as long as you do, shouldn't be a problem.

If the psu fan ssems ok, run the pc with the case panel off, where you should be able to hear better or see, if the cpu fan is causing the noise. Also a good idea to go into the bios and check that you have a warning and/or cutoff if the temp goes over about 55c

heni72847
30-09-2003, 09:29 AM
i sometimes get that when i just turn my computer on
then if i turn it off again and back on .. it's gone

i couldn't locate where the noise is from though...

somebody
30-09-2003, 09:59 AM
I had a computer once which had a large case fan at the front. However, somehow the USB cable going to the front connectors managed to get pushed into the fan, so the fan was slowly chewing away at the cable, making a horrible noise. It was more of a click-click-click fast-paced noise.

Your CPU temperature seems normal.

godfather
30-09-2003, 11:13 AM
The noise is usually from fan bearings.
As soon as they pick up a bit of lubrication they go quiet again. Often that is why they go quiet after a second power-on.

Its also possible they go quiet when they seize up. Thats bad.

Either way, replace the fan. Major failures can occur with overheating and fans are cheap.

mejobloggs
05-10-2003, 01:20 PM
I took it into samcor, and they said it was the CPU fan. They replaced all the fans thoug, and the power supply.

Pheonix
05-10-2003, 03:42 PM
A bit more expense, but probably worth it in the long run. A bit like changing oil & filter in a car...costs, but good prevention of early failure.

Susan B
05-10-2003, 06:00 PM
> I took it into samcor, and they said it was the CPU fan. They replaced all the fans thoug, and the power supply.

At their expense or yours? A one-year old computer should still be under warranty but they would not have been obliged to replace the PSU at their expense though.

Rod ger
05-10-2003, 08:06 PM
I thought these fans were a lot more reliably than that? My seven year old machine still has both its original fans.Coincidentally I've just had a major stripdown and dedust(my computer that is) and both are running quietly again. I know its luck of the draw and all that, but I would have thought 1 year was a bit of a short life for a fan?

mejobloggs
09-10-2003, 06:57 AM
Oooo K.

Aftoer taking it in I find that the CPU temperature is now 54 degrees C.
And the CPU fan is only running at 3000 rpm, instead of 5600, as before the repair.

I dont know who payed for that upgrade, because my Dad took it in.

The computer is probably about 1.5 to 2 years old actually. It was when an Athlon XP 2100 was the best you could get in the Athlon range.

Far, what a waste of time the repair was.

My other computer is running at about 42 degrees. Thats about 10 degrees difference. Hmmmm.

wintertide
09-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Sounds like they replaced the CPU fan with the wrong one... the fan/heatsinks that come with the Athlon XP 2000+ and 2100+ (don't know about the others) run at 5000 rpm or above. 54 degrees is also quite hot for your CPU - it might be best to see if you can get them to replace the CPU fan with a certified AMD one as it will keep your CPU a lot cooler (50 degrees should be the max with adequate case fans and the AMD bundled cooler)

mejobloggs
09-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Arrrgh. The whole thing just died today. It just cut out, and went black, and my Dad restarted it, and tried to load into safe mode, but it went black again.

Could this be the Temperature cut off or something? maybe it reached 55 degrees, and shut down.

Taken back to Samcor. Hope all Dads work is still there. Yikes.

wintertide
09-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Sounds like the cooling solution they gave you wasn't adequate. I once had a problem where I had to take the motherboard back to the shop to get it replaced, and when I got it back I didn't realise that you had to remove all the heatsink material. I turned it on, it hit 80 degrees (the internal shutdown temperature for an Athlon XP 2000+, I think it's the same for a 2100+) and shutdown the system. You may be having the same problem.

Your Dad's work should still be there if he saved it :D

mejobloggs
09-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Whooo, yeah. He has often lost stuff because he hasnt saved it. I think he saved this time though.

mejobloggs
10-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Oh No!

They rang us and asked for a system password.

Guess what? We never set one, dont even know how, but for some reason, the computer is asking samcor.

Then they tell us the graphics card is dead.

Then they tell us they cant get it to even boot now.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

Megaman
11-10-2003, 07:27 PM
i no it is a little late now but since you have another computer you could network them and back up each of them on the other computer (if you get the fireball back!) also every 2 years or so get it dust busted. (Also get a shared external drive if possible. easy to move around and share!)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
11-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Umm sounds like your "tech" is lacking in competence, I would seriously consider taking it elsewhere unless these jobs are for warranty.

If you do not have your "admin" password this can be circumvented with a simple bootdisk. Again any tech worth their salt should know this.

Far_Canal
11-10-2003, 08:26 PM
It sounds like somethings stuffed eh

whiskeytangofoxtrot
11-10-2003, 08:33 PM
> It sounds like somethings stuffed eh

Master of the obvious....

Rod ger
11-10-2003, 10:33 PM
Second time in ,I would be asking some serious questions of the crowd who REPAIRED this computer inthe first place. Their fix obviously did NOT work and because of the resulting problems, showed that they did NOT check up on the state of the machine after it was REPAIRED(especially as the problem was obvious to you(lets' say a non-technical person). I would be getting seriously agitated at this point and talking about some serious
compensation. Especially as it self destructed in their hands after they had REPAIRED it!! I know s*#*t happens, but sounds like these guys didn't see it coming, and thats NOT what they are paid for.

mejobloggs
15-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Well, all fixed now. Did I mention crashes before, or just hardware faults?

It seems all the crashes were because of a odd printer driver, so they fixed that. I dont know how that killed a graphics card, fans, power supply and hardrive, but we use to have a Geforce 4 mc 460, and they replaced it with a Geforce 4 Ti4200 128mb, so I guess it was worth it (for me anyway, i dunno about Dad)

The drive image of the hard drive wasn't quite 100% exact, as there are a few odd things like all the stuff in the umm.. bottom right were the time is, have disapeared, and some programs have to be reinstalled.

I keep telling my Dad that he should start again on a new harddrive, so it hasnt got all the junk on it, because when we first got XP, we tried a lot of old programs that screwed up.

Wow, bit of stress there. Seems ok now though.