PDA

View Full Version : Msconfig ??? What does this do?

Ladybug
26-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi ya - windows xp home!

I have been told by someone as I mentioned that something I used was always slow to download.

They have told me to msconfig and how to do it.

What I want to know - why do this and what does it achieve??

And will it make any problems further down the line???

Thanks Bug :)

godfather
26-08-2003, 06:17 PM
MSConfig is used to selectively exclude specific programs from running at startup.

Its *safe enough* to use, provided you know what you want to stop loading, and have a reasonable understanding of the processes.

From your description "something I used was always slow to download" its unclear what the problem could be or if MSConfig is appropriate.

By "download" what do you mean exactly?

Ladybug
26-08-2003, 07:51 PM
HI Godfather

OK - I have downloaded Java for use mainly on a game site i use as I had this on microsoft but have since had a new hard drive put in and had to reinstall wind xp home. So I downloaded Java from its site.

But I find that everytime I go into this game site it takes several minutes to load the page unlike previously when it was basically instant before.

But going by your thread I dont know enough about this so I will just leave it as it is as it works fine once I have it.

Thanks for your reply

Bug :)

vk_dre
27-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Its just system processes and programs running in the background of Windows, and by shutting any of them u could cos ur computer to become unstable and restart due to that. I think there was a site on the net which told u wot processes were needed and wot wernt, i cant remember, but if i find it i will pass it on.

Scouse
28-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi Ladybug
Have a quiet read of this site.
Lengthy but interesting and I think it answers your query.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

Ladybug
28-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks Scouse and Vk

DONT TOUCH WHAT YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT. - this is what Ive come to the decision and like I say previously I will just put up with the Java being slow and it does load in the end - oh well just an excuse to wander and make a coffee while its loading I guess.

Yes an interesting read although some was up there and I have put it in favourites to go back and read at some time.

Thanks all

=:) Bug