PDA

View Full Version : DVD Writer software

Marty2001
20-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Hi Press F1

I have an HP DVD writer 300i using HP Record now with latest patches and firmware. I have run the HP compatability wizard for the DVD.
I am using it to make DVDs of a 1GB file to share to other offices
My problem is that the other DVDs can not read it, and I am trying to use the DVD more than once (ie open session)
I am going to try to get them to read closed sessions, but would like to know if anyone is aware of a more reliable DVD writer software package(maybe Nero?) that they have tried and is dependable for reading in other DVDs. If so - I would prefer to buy that.
- Or is this all to do with differing DVD standards?

regards

Marty

Mike
20-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Do the other machines have DVD Writers as well, or just DVD Rom drives? If the latter, then you will need to close the session to get them to read the disk.

Mike.

PoWa
20-08-2003, 03:08 PM
You want to try Roxio Easy DVD/CD Creator 6.

Lohsing
20-08-2003, 03:12 PM
$50 says you are prob writing to DVD+R format discs?? For some reason, when I write to a DVD+RW disc, I can't get my DVD-Rom to read it, even when the session is closed, and disc is finalised.

Best bet would be to try DVD-R discs... assuming you are using a dual format writer??

Lo.

SKT174
20-08-2003, 03:31 PM
The HP300i is a DVD+R/+RW writer so Lohsing is probably right, try using DVD-R discs :)

Lohsing
20-08-2003, 03:36 PM
If it's a DVD+R/RW writer, it won't be able to write to -R discs....

SKT174
20-08-2003, 03:54 PM
> If it's a DVD+R/RW writer, it won't be able to write
> to -R discs....

Ha ha .. true .. what was I thinking :8} thanks Lohsing for the correction

walev
20-08-2003, 05:51 PM
If you can't read a DVD+RW disc in a compatible DVD-ROM, you might try changing the compatibility setting on your DVD+RW disc. To change the compatibility setting, see The DVD+RW Compatibility Utility on your HP
settings.

Lohsing
20-08-2003, 06:20 PM
I would've thought that because +R is a completely different format, no DVD-Rom would be able to read it, unless specified?

eg. A DVD cannot be read in a standard CD-Rom, no matter how you write it.

walev
20-08-2003, 07:32 PM
It's not being read in a cd rom, but a dvd rom as far as I can see

Marty2001
20-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Yes thanks everyone
It is being read in DVDs and the DVDs are DVD +R. There are instructions with the DVD saying DVD-R and some other formats will not work. DVD +RW and DVD+R are supposed to work
A normal CD Rom would not read them because the files are 1GB
I will see if I can get Roxio Easy DVD/CD Creator 6 to work.
Marty

Lohsing
20-08-2003, 08:33 PM
I didn't say that he was using a CD-Rom... but emphasising the fact that no matter what compatibility settings you use, due to the fact that it is in a completely different format, it wouldn't be able to be read.

In other words, even though you have a DVD-Rom, AFAIK it can't read DVD+R/RW formats.

Lo.

John H
21-08-2003, 11:16 AM
I have a Sony dual format DVD Writer in my desktop PC. I could only locate DVD-R blanks at first, so did my back ups to them. I then found that my laptop DVD-ROM drive could not read them. Grrrr.

I have had to locate DVD+R blanks and redo the backups - now the laptop can read them.

I have also found that I cannot clone a DVD-R data disc to a DVD+R disc - I have to copy the files onto my hard drive and then burn from there to a DVD+R disc.

Good thing I didn't buy a DVD-R writer - I didn't realise that the laptop was not compatible. I wonder how many people will make that mistake where they are using more than one DVD ROM drive...

John