PDA

View Full Version : TIF file

jayal
19-08-2003, 10:12 PM
is there a message re TIF files out there somewhere? just posted one - 2022 - and it's ??? - try again - what is a TIF file? - why does it take so long to send by email? - scanned a floor plan drawing to my docs as TIF and it was taking an age to send to another address, it's only a few lines after all - any one offer an explain please?

Gorela
19-08-2003, 10:17 PM
A TIF is an image file similar to JPEG, etc. The problem with TIF is that the images can often be VERY large. The reason for the file taking a long time to send will be because it is probably fairly big.

godfather
19-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Tagged Image File (TIFF, TIF)

The tiff file format is a good format for scanners to acquire image data and so most scanners obtain images as tiff files.

The great advantage of saving files in the tiff format is that no information is lost.

Tiff formats are also useful for transporting image files from one application to another or from one computer to another as they are designed to be independent of any particular hardware or software.

The drawback of tiff tiles is that the file size is large. This is why they take a long time to send. Have pity on the person receiving them, as they take a long time to download as well. Unless you have to, don't e-mail tiff or bmp format images.

Conversion to other formats, using a free graphics program such as Irfanview (.jpg format for instance) will reduce the size to a fraction of the TIF file, without a noticeable loss of detail.

jayal
19-08-2003, 11:02 PM
thanks "godfather" - i have Irfanview but aHHH? how do i change from tif to jpg?

bmason
19-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Use File->Save As

gerrypics
20-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Here is an irfanview tutorial: http://www.omnimaxx.com/GraphicsTutorial/babes2.swf.html

dotcommander
20-08-2003, 04:22 PM
The tif format is usually used if you want good quality prints otherwise if you just to to view files on your monitor then a low res jpeg always does the trick, try to keep your attatchments under 100k anything over 250k wouldnt be appreciated in most ppl's boxes...