PDA

View Full Version : Gibberish displayed on cold computer startup

BryanP
19-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Whenever I start the computer up in the morning ie a cold startup, I get at the best a very distorted display on the monitor from the first visible display and it remains so until it freezes part way throught the startup. Sometimes the display is gibberish and other times I can just view sufficient interpretation to continue the startup, (via Acronis OS selector and then start my windows 2000 partition).

This problem has increased in frequency from occasional to now every time.

The only fix I have found that works every time is to hit the reset button immediately after the symptoms first show, (which is usually 5 sec.) The computer then goes through a simple restart and operates as normal every time???

kiwibeat
19-08-2003, 12:37 PM
weird try reinstalling your graphics drivers and as a last resort running norton utils or Fix-IT to repair the registry .email me if you want more advice

vk_dre
19-08-2003, 11:43 PM
iS ur monitor a CRT or an LCD, its probably got a faulty electron gun that triggers the pixels. Tru taking it to a repair shop.

vk_dre
19-08-2003, 11:46 PM
and by electron gun i mean the cathode ray tube that contains the electron inside it. And the cathode ray tube is inside ur monitor.

vk_dre
19-08-2003, 11:47 PM
i think i misinterpretted this post, wot is this "Gibbberish" u r reffering to? Is it the screen not displaying or displaying in weird angles? or is it a windows boot up error msg?

PoWa
19-08-2003, 11:48 PM
As someone wise told me, its not always good for a computer to be having cold starts everyday, especially in the winter. Maybe leave it going more often during the night. Download some stuff, or que up the disk defragger, or encode movies ;)

BryanP
20-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Thanks for that. I wondered about this but am a bit "tight" when it comes to power useage.

BryanP
20-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have given the rego an overhaul plus more using Fix-It utilities 5 and reloaded drivers but the screen distortion still happened this morning on startup but again was eliminated immediately after hitting the reset button.

My definition of gibberish is probably not the best description as the problem relates more to a very poor graphics display of any output to the monitor.

Tomorrow morning I will try starting the computer with the monitor off and then turn it on say about 1min later to see if this points the problem to the monitor.

BryanP
20-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have given the rego an overhaul plus more using Fix-It utilities 5 and reloaded drivers but the screen distortion still happened this morning on startup but again was eliminated immediately after hitting the reset button.

My definition of gibberish is probably not the best description as the problem relates more to a very poor graphics display of any output to the CRT monitor.

Tomorrow morning I will try starting the computer with the monitor off and then turn it on say about 1min later to see if this points the problem to the monitor.

Graham L
20-08-2003, 03:03 PM
It's nor surprising that playing with the registry and drivers didn't have any effect. This is a hardware problem. If you've got a problem with the registry or the wrong drivers, it wouldn't either (a) come right, or (b) cause problems like this. :D

Try starting the monitor a minute or two before the computer. :D It's probably a power supply problem ... maybe just dampness (though that would normally take a while to come right). It's quite likely just "old age".

BryanP
20-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the good advice. Bryan