PDA

View Full Version : Win 98Se

zqwerty
18-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Everytime I shut down my computer the floppy drive gets spun for about 4 seconds even if there is no disk in it. This also happens at start up and other times when I am in Explorer, the noise is extremely annoying and the way things are going the drive is going to wear out. I have tried everything I can think of for months now, does anyone have any ideas?
Regards
Robert.

godfather
19-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Check your AntiVirus software, and remove any option to scan the FDD at startup and shutdown.

Peter H
19-08-2003, 11:22 AM
On start up, could also be your Boot sequence.
Bye

kiwibeat
19-08-2003, 12:13 PM
you should go into bios and change the setting for your floppy drive

zqwerty
19-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Yes I have tried that before, no change.

zqwerty
19-08-2003, 07:10 PM
I do not have any anti virus software besides AdAware

zqwerty
19-08-2003, 07:12 PM
If it is Boot sequence what should I do?

agent_24
21-08-2003, 10:12 PM
i have the same problem, XP and two floppy drives - so its even worse, there doesnt seem to be any way of avoiding it.

tweak\'e
21-08-2003, 10:42 PM
in true hardware geek style just go and buy QUIET floppy drives :-)

antmannz
21-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Open Windows Explorer
Click on Local Disk (C: )
Close Windows Explorer.

antmannz
21-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Ooops; maybe I should explain a bit more.

Make sure that the floppy drive is not the last drive selected before closing Windows Explorer.

kiwibeat
22-08-2003, 02:54 AM
last resort is to pull the power plug on it and replug whenever needed which is very rare these days.
I hardly ever use my floppies except for dos programs and transfer of very small files once in a blue moon .

zqwerty
22-08-2003, 11:56 AM
So far none of the suggestions has fixed the problem. I think it is something to do with Norton Utilities 2002 which I installed on top of the initial clean boot. I have just made a new instal of the same operating system on a different computer and it is not exhibiting the problem.
But so far I have not put on Norton Utilities.
Now another question: I do not understand what is going on with Temporary Internet Files. It has a facility to move them, why would I want to do that? Also why is there so many sub-files with strange names in Content IE5 for instance : 01234567, A9hi7u5k, Cl6f89er, Db3r5hke, Mhx1eimk, Nisq94h0, Qurnmjdn, V8wrptoh, with what looks like virtually identical information in them. My computer seems to spent a lot of time shuffling round inside the hard drive when I am on the Internet and at times goes very slowly. I am sure it is something to do with these files and I want to do something about it by increasing my understanding. Further I have used the facility to repair IE 6 and for a while my computer will be faster again, but after a few sessions will revert back to the slow mode. Any help would be appreciated. Also please note that my system when checked on the various internet speedometers on the net invariably gives a result round about 47 to 56 k for download speed. Without getting into the detail of this I know that my modem is giving superior speed for a dial up connection, I have spent a while optmizing it, and so believe that the problem is something to do with the internet file processing.
Regards Robert Worrill.

tweak\'e
22-08-2003, 02:02 PM
did you turn off the floppy disk check in the bios?

> Temporary Internet Files It has a facility to move them, why would I want to do that?

because some of us have the Temporary Internet Files in a different place than stock. personal preference.

what size is the temp internet files? stock settings are normally far to big. reduce them to around 40meg or so. also cut down the history to 5days or so. this will speed things up a fair bit.

kiwibeat
22-08-2003, 02:13 PM
I prefer Fix-it myself to Norton utils better at registry cleaning
try running spybot and windowwasher or wash and go thru the PC as well as regcleaner

antmannz
22-08-2003, 04:05 PM
I use CacheSentry (http://www.mindspring.com/~dpoch/enigmatic/cachesentry.html) to keep a handle on IE's cache.

You don't need to fork out any cash for it either. :p

Susan B
22-08-2003, 05:32 PM
> Also why is there so many sub-files with strange names in Content IE5 for instance : 01234567, A9hi7u5k, Cl6f89er, Db3r5hke, Mhx1eimk, Nisq94h0, Qurnmjdn, V8wrptoh, with what looks like virtually identical information in them.

It has something to do with security, I can't remember the exact details. Don't worry about those files, just leave them alone. They get cleared when you delete your temp internet files or when newer temp files replace them.

> My computer seems to spent a lot of time shuffling round inside the hard drive when I am on the Internet and at times goes very slowly.

Like Tweak'e says, reduce your History and Temporary Internet Files settings in Tools>Options to what Tweak'e recommends. I have my History set to 2 days which works well for me.

Have a look at the forum's FAQ section (link top right of this page) for more tips on temp files and the hidden index.dat files. Note that the FAQ pages may take a while to wake up but you will get them eventually.

zqwerty
22-08-2003, 11:03 PM
OK, wonderful to hear from you all. In the past I disabled the bios settings for the floppy with no result as far as solving the problem, but I will try again. Antmannz I have installed Cache Sentry, I will let you know in the future if it has improved things.
Now for my next set of questions, I have been told by a System Administrator, a very busy man, that if one separates, for instance, the Win98Se o/s from the swap file it is possible to then cut and paste the o/s to any other hard drive and get it up and running again very easily. Any comments on this? How would one separate the swap file, I ask this because I have also heard that if one puts the swap file on a separate partition on the same hard drive then defrag becomes a thing of the past.
I want to partition my 17.2 Gig hard drive into 300Meg for swap file then partitions of approx 3 Gigs until hard drive is used up. I have tried to do this before and run into trouble using fdisk. I cannot afford to buy Norton Ghost and Partition Magic so I am trying to do it manually myself. I have spent the whole of this afternoon practising using fdisk with some good results. I know it can be done I am a little slow on the uptake I think. I am determined to find a way of transfering my precious fully updated Win98SE, (complete with many favorite progams, painstakingly harvested from the internet), from the 17.2 poorly partitioned drive onto to another smaller drive, approx 2 Gig, then re-partitioning the 17.2 as I want it to be and then transfering back onto the bigger drive, for me anyway this is proving to be a daunting task.
Regards to you all,
Robert Worrill.

zqwerty
23-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Your solution would work except that I use my floppy drive quite often, but I'll keep this suggestion in mind if all else fails.
Thanx.

zqwerty
23-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Yup,
Cache Sentry looks as if it is a very cool programme. I will let you know but so far my computer feels much more slick and fast on the internet, like it was when I first installed.
Thanks very much.

zqwerty
23-08-2003, 02:36 AM
Do you know this site, I find many good programmes and useful info here:

http://www.geocities.com/one_human/index2.html

zqwerty
23-08-2003, 02:38 AM
Try this programme, it is a wonderful one: http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/index.html

zqwerty
23-08-2003, 02:45 AM
And since I am showing you good sites, let me give you the best blogger on the Web, and the site that showed me that my browser was acting up: http://www.rageboy.com/blogger.html