PDA

View Full Version : Networking between 2 2000 computers for beginners

Rockman
18-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I've managed to get my 2 PCs networked each running 2000.

What I would like to ask is, for each machine, do you have to recreate any accounts that you would have on the other again?

At the moment, I am having problems having one of my computers being inaccessible. This one is the host, and as this being the host, I want the other computer to connect to the internet at any given time.

The frustrating part is, that when using the Windows 2000 help feature, I have done all the recommendations, but when I use the other computer to dial through, it fails.

Does any one have any suggestions?

I hope this makes sense, and please be gentle.

Thanks

Murray P
19-08-2003, 12:16 PM
How are you comps connected, did you use a switch in the end? Have you set up MS ICS? You'll also need to set up users on each comp to share files/folders.

Cheers Murray P

Rockman
19-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Hi Murray,

> How are you comps connected, did you use a switch in
> the end?

My computers are connected just using a cat5 cable crossover.

No I am not currently using a switch at the moment. I thought that once I have a better idea about connecting and networking my PC's together, then I would implement the idea of using a switch. (If you agree that I am taking the right approach)

>Have you set up MS ICS? You'll also need to
> set up users on each comp to share files/folders.
>
Well I am finding myself going in circles just trying to get that 'Internect Connection Sharing' going. Yet, I thought that Microsoft made it easy to do this using Windows 2000. I have also tried a small number of websites using a step by step proceedure for a client and a host connection, but I still continue to see the ICS fail.

Some forums suggest that I should use Netbuei. Some sites do not list or even suggest that you do not need to.

The problem also that I can not access my host computer from the one in the lounge. But the other way around, I can.

Do you have any suggestions?

> Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
19-08-2003, 09:33 PM
First things first, can they Ping each other?

Secondly, its going to help if you make an account on both PC's that identical, and login to them both, so for example, create the account:
Rockman
and make a password the same too, say:
mynewpwd
Then try accessing each other.

Post back

Cheers

Chill.

Rockman
19-08-2003, 10:07 PM
> First things first, can they Ping each other?

Hi Chill,

Umm... can you still ping each other regardless if both computers do not have an IP address. Because following the instructions to set my ICS, It was suggested that I should set my 'IP Addresses automatically' for the ICS, to work.

Should I manually key in the IP Address instead, if I need to ping both PC's successfully? If so, what should I use?

I did ping, but got "request timed out", but I just made up an IP Address: 192.168.0.1.

Hope this was usefull?

tommy
19-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Chilling_Silently gave good advice in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37225&message=180087&q=network#180087) not long ago which may answer your question. To quote one of the posts:

At the command prompt type IPCONFIG
It should tell you some IP details.
The subnet is the first three parts of an IP address, so in 192.168.0.1 the subnet is 192.168.0. If the two PCs have something different in the first three bits, they aren't on the same subnet and can't see each other without some router in between (so it won't go).
If IPCONFIG doesn't work on win98 machine, try winipcfg from Start, Run.

IP basics come in very handy with home networking now.

Next thing is to go to the command prompt and ping the IP address of the other machine: ping 192.168.0.1 <enter>

If it replies, good, if it doesn't bad. The next thing is to ping the machines using their names - so if the win98 machine is called "bob" type :
ping bob <enter>
and see if that works too.

tommy
19-08-2003, 11:17 PM
I beg your pardon, it was Robo who posted that particular advice, not Chilling_Silently.

Chilling_Silently
20-08-2003, 12:03 AM
> > First things first, can they Ping each other?
>
> Hi Chill,
>
> Umm... can you still ping each other regardless if
> both computers do not have an IP address. Because
> following the instructions to set my ICS, It was
> suggested that I should set my 'IP Addresses
> automatically' for the ICS, to work.

Well.. Static IP's are a must for the Host, or the Gateway PC (The one that's actually Dialling into the net).
Win2K and XP will automatically set the Gateway PC's IP address to 192.168.0.1
This is good
Next, go to your client PC and set the IP address to something like 192.168.0.2
Set the subnet to 255.255.255.0
and the Gateway to 192.168.0.1

Next, in DNS servers, set the primary to 192.168.0.1
The secondary can be Xtra's (I've posted them in the thread that tommy linked to).

> Should I manually key in the IP Address instead, if I
> need to ping both PC's successfully? If so, what
> should I use?

Click Start
Run
type in:
cmd

A new window will appear, type:
ipconfig /all
this will list all the details of your Network Card.
you can then try:
ping 192.168.0.x
(Where x, is the last value of the IP address of the OTHER machine)

:-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

stu140103
20-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Have you looked at the FAQ on this forum for networking????

Rockman
20-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

At the moment, I have given up on this ICS. It's really pessing me off but the only benefit of this is the ability to walk from one end of the house and back again...

Chill, I tried your steps but I still got time request. So now, I can ping successfully from the host to the client. And ping the hosts own IP address and client successfully, but I still cannot ping from the Client to the Host. I still continue to recieve them "time out requests" which is even peeeing me off even more....

so what could I be doing wrong?

I'm thinking that once I can successfully ping to the host from the client, I should be able to see the client computer in my network places and the other way around..

Tommy, I found the link useful, but a bit lengthy for my tastes. I am still currently trying to get as much useful information as possible while trying to absorb this at the same time.

Stu, I have not looked at the FAQ section. I will try that in the search box after lunch.

(peeing is not related to the amount of exercise I do from walking from one end of the house to the other)