PDA

View Full Version : False Blaster Fix - is actually a Trojan

KiwiTT
18-08-2003, 11:15 AM
There is a new email doing the rounds purporting to be from webmaster@microsoft.com. It includes a "fix" for the blaster worm. This is false. If you receive it, delete it. It is a variant of the Backdoor-ARR trojan.

Billy T
18-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Usual story, usual answer:

Microsoft does not email anybody, much less supply unrequested fixes.

Only newbies (who can be excused) or the truly gullible fall for these.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Dolby Digital
18-08-2003, 12:44 PM
>>Microsoft does not email anybody
I wouldn't have got my 120 day evaluation copy of Win XP if they didn't. I have received email from Microsoft New Zealand.

>>the truly gullible fall
Don't be too hard on people. We all make mistakes.

nzStan
18-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Have just emailed all my users.

Quote from Microsoft.com

Microsoft never distributes software directly via e-mail.

We distribute software on physical media like CD ROMs and floppy disks.

We distribute upgrades via the Internet. When we do this, the software will be available via our web site.

We occasionally send e-mail to customers to inform them that upgrades are available. However, the e-mail will only provide links to the download sites -- we will never attach the software itself to the e-mail. The links will always lead to either our web site or our FTP site, never to a third-party site.

We always use Authenticode to digitally sign our products and allow you to ensure that they have not been tampered with.

If you receive an e-mail that claims to contain software from Microsoft, do not run the attachment. The safest course of action is to delete the mail altogether. If you would like to take additional action, report the e-mail to the sender's Internet Service Provider. Most ISPs provide an "abuse" userid for this purpose.

-=JM=-
18-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Did you request to be emailed first Dolby? I think you might have.

nzStan
18-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Actually I do get emails from Microsoft. Specifically security bulletins that I have subscribed for.

On some weeks it feels like I'm being spammed by them!!!

Chilling_Silently
18-08-2003, 01:12 PM
If you want a location you can trust, I've uploaded it myself:

http://www.rescueman.tk

But for the most of it, I'm willing to be people dont know about getting a fix from there :-)

I've been emailed from MS, but they dont make attachments, thats for suer :-)

Fire-and-Ice
18-08-2003, 01:31 PM
> Actually I do get emails from Microsoft.
> Specifically security bulletins that I have
> subscribed for.
>
> On some weeks it feels like I'm being spammed by
> them!!!

It appears that this topic is about unsolicited emails with attachments from Microsoft though, not emails that one has subscribed to and expects. One can usually expect *some* emails from Microsoft in their Hotmail/Msn accounts but not in their IP email account where the likes of this one may come in.