PDA

View Full Version : OT ADSL versus Modem Musings

Poppa John
16-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Just musing, thinking out loud.
At the moment we have Modem & Adsl access to the Net. Forget Cable & Wireless for the moment. By far the majority of "Connectees" do so with a modem. An increasing number are going to adsl, which is "Faster".

Telecom may, or may not, be about to raise the 128 to 256, as rumour would have it. Now, Microsoft XP is the "Now" OS. But what is in the pipeline?? Either an upgraded XP, say XP+? Or something brand new, bigger & better?? If the latter, then maybe it will only run on Adsl & 256 at that. IF that is the case then obviously NZ Telecom is talking to MS. The XP OS was a very big jump from anything before, in my opinion. So what will their next OS be like.
In the near future, we are always going to need a phone line, copper or fibre optic to get at the Net. I cannot see a "cable down every street" happening in NZ....too small a population. Same with NZ wide wireless.

There are three components to any Adsl setup. (A) Telecom Phoneline.
(B) Telecom ADSL rental (C)ISP. We are stuck with A + B....C is optional. If Telecom was still the P & T & Govt owned, then just maybe popular (voting) opinion would have pushed the price down. Always assuming the P & T kept up with technical advances.
So it is possible we will have three connections for which we will pay accordingly. (A) Modem (B) 128Mhz (C)256Mhz. If so, what will happen? Will it be A + B same price as now, with C being dearer? C being dearest, B getting cheaper (thereby becoming more popular & slower?). A becoming cheaper again, alternatively becoming dearer as a deterrent to using it.
Any/all of our Net connections are TOO expensive, as other posts on this forum have indicated. What is it going to take to get Telecom, who are using the phonelines that NZers have already paid for, to be realistic with pricing & allowing REAL competition. Why the hell was the P&T/ Telecom sold anyway?? If I sold my house & then rented it back, then spent the money I got for it, how am I any better off??? The rent is bound to be more than the mortgage repayments.
I started off trying to make a "point" but got a bit lost along the way, sorry.
I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on prices, etc. Remember, you will probably have a different viewpoint if you have a job & getting paid. A lot of us are on fixed incomes, willingly or unwillingly. We therefore ingulge in a bit of wishful thinking (like Telecom being generous!!!_ Poppa John :_| X-( ]:)

Poppa John
16-08-2003, 10:59 PM
P S. These are just my thoughts, the errors are mine alone, I expect there are some,but....... PJ :D

godfather
16-08-2003, 11:10 PM
A lot of good thoughts there PJ

There is a strong possibility of LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) late this year. That means Telecom lose the ownership of the copper wire to your house in simplistic terms. That may apply to the ADSL signal as well perhaps but I am unsure how diverse ownership of a concentrated asset would or could work in this matter.

The result could be ISPs able to offer complete ADSL signal + ISP charge, which could remove Telecoms monopoly on the issue. I think we would be living in a fools paradise to think the price would decrease significantly though.

As to XP replacement not possibly working with dial-up, thats not going to happen. That would be such a major block of uptake it would fail in the market. Many, many people only use occasional e-mail and will never want or need ADSL.

I spend between $300 and $500 per month on telephone/internet, and agree its quite expensive.

stu140103
16-08-2003, 11:25 PM
> Now, Microsoft XP is
> the "Now" OS. But what is in the pipeline??

There is another OS code-named "Longhorn,",here is a thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=28652&message=112207&q=the+next+windows#112207) about it

> Either an upgraded XP, say XP+? Or something
> g brand new, bigger & better??
> IF
> that is the case then obviously NZ Telecom is talking
> to MS. The XP OS was a very big jump from anything
> before, in my opinion. So what will their next OS
> be like.

more links about it comming.......... :)

stu140103
16-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Here is another

thread "Microsoft OS code name "LongHorn" " (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=27303&message=102176&q=Longhorn#102176)

& another
This voices exactly my thoughts on Longhorn - What are yours? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=34863&message=161346&q=Longhorn#161346)

Do a search on here for "Longhorn" and you will find a few more threads on this :)

wuppo
17-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Relief from the copper bindings may come in a new wireless approach - MANs or Metropoliton Area Networks, based on the 802.16 WiMax standard. This will be an economic RF system that will allow ISPs to cover the 'last mile' without having to get into bed with telecom. :|

vk_dre
19-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Would now be the best time to sign up for adsl or should one wait a while?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
20-08-2003, 01:38 AM
The next service pack for WXP is looking to be about 12 months away... chances are I don't foresee a "new" OS for some time.

I've installed and played with a beta of LongHorn - it has one hell of along way to go before it is even close to release capable, and it is hugely resource intensive.

wuppo
20-08-2003, 09:31 AM
vk - Technology will always be better and cheaper tomorrow. If adsl seems like value to you now, go for it, otherwise that elusive tomorrow is hard to catch :|

stu140103
20-08-2003, 01:33 PM
> The next service pack for WXP is looking to be about
> 12 months away... chances are I don't foresee a "new"
> OS for some time.

The last thing I heard/ read it was going to be released in 2005 or 2006 or some where around then (but I am not 100% sure)