PDA

View Full Version : Blaster v Firewall should you

bruciebear
15-08-2003, 08:27 PM
I have ME wooo but my son has XP so I am going over to fix it I hope. One question, to fix it Microsoft say firstly turn on the Firewall. Question, if we have firewall on will it stop some other functions ie Chat rooms like Yahoo and MSN or Messenger MSN and Yahoo? Or what do you face with it on.
Also, do you have to turn off System Restore before getting the patch and killing the virus?Cheers

tommy
15-08-2003, 08:49 PM
1. The firewall should not affect the chat rooms but it probably will prevent files being received via MSN/IM.

2. If the computer is infected with the virus it is probably advisable to disable system restore although I cannot get to the MS website right now to verify that it is essential.

3. The patch will not kill the worm/virus, it will prevent the worm getting into the computer in the first place. To kill the worm you need to get the removal tool from Symantec:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

stu140103
15-08-2003, 08:55 PM
> Question, if we
> have firewall on will it stop some other functions ie
> Chat rooms like Yahoo and MSN or Messenger MSN and
> Yahoo?

If you use the win xp firewall, nope

But if you use another firewall e.g. zone alarm, then you will have to tell it to let the above programs access the net.

Martina
15-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi B'bear
For instructions on how to remove MSBlast goto ZDNet.com click on NEWS and scroll down to "How to remove MSBlast". I don't have a lot of pc know-how but I understood it. Good luck

Robby
16-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Gidday,

The xp firewall should be activated and left on, as it blocks the ports, that this worm is sqirmimg through.

The only chat program I have struck problems with, concerning the firewall, is paltalk. it had to be turned off before paltalk it could be used.

The worm removal tool, wont run, unless the system restore is turned off.

This is how I removed the worm.

turn on Xp firewall,

Download microsoft patch,

disable system restore,

run removal tool,

enable system restore,

create restore point.

good luck,

Robby