PDA

View Full Version : XP Firewall Query

Oxie
15-08-2003, 12:46 PM
I have three computers networked and connected to a router (one with XP Prof, one with XP Home and one with Win98) for Jetstream.

My questions are should I activate XP's built in firewall as well? If so, where are the settings and how do I go about it? Do both Prof and Home have firewalls, and would I need to activate firewalls in both computers or just the one? I have applied the MS03-026 patch on both XP machines.

Thanks
Oxie (Lyn)

godfather
15-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Does your router use NAT (Network Address Translation)?
If so you are reasonably well "hidden" from anyone trying to gain access, but it costs nothing to activate it.

I am similarly configured here, 4 PCs and a printer behind an ADSL router and I don't use the XP firewall as it periodically (and unexplainably) starts blocking network printer traffic.

Oxie
15-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Godfather

Thanks for that. Yes, I have a DSL-504 D-Link Router that uses NAT. Unless others advise to activate XP's firewall I will take your advice and leave it unactivated - I don't want to experience problems with the network/printer traffic.

Thanks
Oxie (Lyn)

tweak\'e
15-08-2003, 09:55 PM
your nat will be ok stopping a lot of incoming but you have nothing stopping anything outgoing. i suggest installing a decent software firewall.

cranneyt
15-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Do not turn on XP Pro ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) as it impedes of your ability to contact other network machines.

The advice I got was to install the patch and to buy a router with an inbuilt firewall.

I have XP Pro and Windows 98 SE on a LAN.

I trust this helps.

Tom Cranney

-=JM=-
15-08-2003, 11:31 PM
I've had trouble with the XP firewall with some of the applications that I like to run. Not that I have tried to tweak it at all. I'm on dialup.

Oxie
16-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your comments. So far I have left the XP firewall off and the router combined with the patch seem to be doing their job.

Is anyone else using a router with NAT and have the XP firewall enabled? If so, could you please advise whether there are problems with it or if you are pleased with the results.

Thanks
Oxie