PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition

frossy111
15-08-2003, 03:48 AM
I have a OEM copy of this programme that has already been activated.
I thought it hadn't been. It lets u operate 50 times before activating.
Can I reactivate it

Pauline
15-08-2003, 08:58 AM
I don't think that you can. It has a serial number that has to be typed in when registering. We have this on our computer but we registered it before the 50 times was up.
Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean eg.
Do you want to put it onto another computer after already registering it ?
Did you get it from someone else that has registered it?
Did you buy it thinking that it was new?
Pauline.

Susan B
15-08-2003, 10:05 AM
I have activated my Office OEM several times now, after reformatting, with no problems at all. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if information about my PC is sent to a MS database where it can check to see if it is the same machine having the product reactivated each time. ;-)

frossy111
15-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Yep thats what I did = bought it online thinking it was new

Every time I open something the 50 times is doing a countdown

godfather
15-08-2003, 10:51 AM
OEM Software is not able to be resold without the PC with which it was purchased also being part of the package. All OEM software is registered for life against the PC on which it is first loaded. This is why OEM software is very cheap.

If you bought the software without the PC, then you should send it back for a refund.

Read the End User Licence Agreement (EULA) that will be in the files.

tweak\'e
15-08-2003, 11:12 AM
> Yep thats what I did = bought it online thinking it
> was new
>
> Every time I open something the 50 times is doing a
> countdown

you need to contact MS to register it then they will give you a key so you can use the program.

frossy111
15-08-2003, 12:43 PM
But will they do that for OEM or am I Stuffed...........

godfather
15-08-2003, 01:23 PM
The relevant portion of the EULA is shown below.
You would have needed to but the program with the PC, its not a transferrable licence.

I would try MS, but would not expect too much. One never knows and its not going to cost to find out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY:
This EULA is a legal agreement between you (either an individual person or a single legal entity, who will be referred to in this EULA as "You") and the manufacturer ("Manufacturer") of the computer system or computer system component ("HARDWARE") with which You acquired the Microsoft software product(s) identified above or on the Product Identification Card accompanying this EULA or on the Product Identification Label attached to the product package ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT").

If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is not accompanied by a new computer system or computer system component, You may not use or copy the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

The SOFTWARE PRODUCT includes Microsoft computer software, any associated media, printed materials, and any electronic documentation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dolby Digital
15-08-2003, 03:25 PM
>>my PC is sent to a MS database where it can check to see if it....
Susan, Microsoft just needs to check that you are not being a naughty girl :D

Greg S
15-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Should be easy enough to reactivate - if the product is licensed to a particular PC, there's nothing in the eula that says that you can't modify your pc to such an extent that it's not identifyable as the original PC. Just do it

Susan B
15-08-2003, 06:57 PM
> >>my PC is sent to a MS database where it can check to see if it....

> Susan, Microsoft just needs to check that you are not being a naughty girl :D

;-)