PDA

View Full Version : Application Programming

agent
14-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with application programming? In particular, I am looking for preferrably free compilers for Windows [XP], and information on how to make a tiny service that I can use to change my desktop wallpaper with hotkeys, at bootup, shutdown, time intervals, and have a list of the wallpapers to use.

Dolby Digital
15-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Umm... Windows is the platform where everyone charges for their products :D Wouldn't that Tweak XP program (seen on some magazine cd's) do some of what you want?

Elephant
15-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Well I could probably help you with some things but your question is not specific about which language you want to use.

A good site to check out is here:-

http://www.nerdbrains.com/forums/

I'm certain you will get the right sort of help.

Graham L
15-08-2003, 02:07 PM
You might find a copy of Delphi or one of othe other Borland development systems on a magazine cover CD. You can downmload a C++ Bulder from them free ,but it's a big download.

Anyway, "tiny service" in the windows environment is an oxymoron. :D

agent
15-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Well, I don't know any languages in particular (apart from ASP and a little VBScript, for web applications), so I was rather just going to pick a language and go.

However, I think I'll probably end up building in C or a derivative of that, as I've got plenty of free copies of Borland on cover discs (albeit older coverdiscs, might be better to download one after all). I'm also going to take a look at the MSDN Library under the Windows API information.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.