PDA

View Full Version : BIOS problems

B.M.
14-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Can anyone help with this one please?

Iíve been given this delinquent computer that seems to suffer from most problems known to man.

Those of you who follow all the threads may remember I never did manage to get the onboard sound working and skirted the problem by installing a sound card. Now, it has come up with this little trick of restarting when it should be closing down. I realise this is a well documented problem with Win98 and especially Win98se. I have downloaded pages of instructions on how to attack the problem. Common to all the suggestions for remedying this problem is re-flashing and updating the bios.

Now, given that at present the BIOS has a facility to turn on and off the on board audio Iím wondering if this facility is not working and may be fixed along with the closedown problems by undertaking a re-flash. (Nothing to loose, the computer was free and only has a new installation of Win98se on it)

Having read about the procedure (and the pitfalls) but never having undertaken same, I decided it would be a challenge, but just getting going has produced all sorts of problems.

Firstly, the motherboard: It has written on it ďPro283 Rev 3.1Ē and either the ďAIDA32Ē or ďSandraĒ programmes suggested the manufacturer was Universal Scientific. Searching GOOGLE for the above does not produce any results??? (What am I doing wrong?)

The chipset is a SiS-540

The BIOS ID: reads 07/11/2000-SiS-540-6A5IQU19c-00

However, I get two different BIOS type reports.

One says BIOS= Award Modular V6.00PG
The Other BIOS Message Pro283 BIOS V4.3 07/11/2000
(Donít understand the above, there appears to be a conflict?)
I wonder if the BIOS has been the recipient of a previous unsuccessful re-flash?

Anyway, after all this can anyone suggest where I can download the appropriate update for this particular BIOS? Iíve been unable to find anything searching with GOOGLE but that doesnít mean itís not there. Maybe my search parameters were incorrect.

metla
14-08-2003, 01:14 PM
google works fine.

http://www.usi.com.tw/

metla
14-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Although that site is a pos,wont even let me into there download area.

Murray P
14-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Try the SiS site and look for the BIOS version or updates. Sad to say I had a Jetway board with that chipset (amd k6 2) and it never seemed to settle down even though I updated the drivers and flashed the bios several times. I might even have some drivers and bios hanging around here on disc (zip=drivers, floppy=bios). IDE, video and sound were the main problems if my memory serves me and I think ram compatability/problems but never figured out if that was the chipset or other issues with the board. Good learning experience though :)

Hows the cmos battery, have you tried resetting?

Cheers Murray P

B.M.
14-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Yes, Metla I think I read somewhere that they were no longer making MBíS?

I think I may have got a couple of other hits but they werenít in English.

Whatís the story on these translation packs (about 3.5megs) that some sites offer you?

B.M.
14-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Thanks for that Murray P.

Sounds like Iíve got your board?!

All the same symptoms, and like you, hooked to a AMD-K6-3D 500mhz processor.

This sod is certainly a challenge. Character building you might say.

If you locate any drivers I'd be grateful for a copy.

B.M.
14-08-2003, 02:26 PM
No luck on SiS site Murray.

Couldn't find any mention of BIOS, just a few drivers.

Greg S
14-08-2003, 03:32 PM
> Iíve been given this delinquent computer that seems
> to suffer from most problems known to man.

Jeez, you mean it's got a wife???

B.M.
14-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Good one Greg,

If this thing had been a wife it would have been "ex" by now!

My wife actually commented that she has never seen me show such restraint! :D

Murray P
14-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi B.M. Found 2 floppys but I've whited out the SiS driver label and put other info over the top. Disc's 1 & 8 that was all :( , I'm sure I had them archived along with the bios on zip disc because I gave them to the person who bought the board off me for them to copy and I did get the discs back..... Hang on a mo, are there teath marks in the top right corner of the pcb and somewhere else there should be little splatter marks as in tears of frustration ;). I'll have a look around in the other room where puter's and bits hang out.

BTW, I told the person I sold my old board to, what the problems were. They were confident that they could do it but, I don't believe the problems were ever resolved. One use would be to make an embedded appliance out of a rubbish bin, now there is a challenge :)

Cheers Murray P

B.M.
15-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks again Murray

Sometimes you just have to rely on a sense of humour.

This damn thing is fair pushing its luck, but then again it was free and it has beaten all to date.

It may well join a E-Lux scanner which also caused me this much despair and I still have sitting in the corner just waiting to provide it with a suitable demise.

On the serious side, your previous post triggered a thought of changing the RAM as the Video uses 8 meg of normal RAM and this seems to me to be a dick of an idea especially if there is a compatibility problem.

Iíll keep you posted.

sybergrrl
08-04-2005, 02:32 AM
If your PC is an IBM Aptiva, you simply go to the IBM Support site at:
http://www.ibm.com/support/us/
to get the drivers you require for this board. I had the same SIS 540 Board, with onboard Audio, Video and Network and the drivers were all at the IBM site. Even if you have a different system, try this site for the drivers you require. Good luck!!!!
P.S. Once you have it configured, it works really well!!

beama
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
2 yrs old

B.M.
08-04-2005, 12:17 PM
How the devil did that post get reincarnated?

I think I may have ditched the motherboard, canít remember that far back, old timers disease you know. :groan: