PDA

View Full Version : An OSE - Need a SCSI controller for a low profile PC

robo
14-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Guys
Have an IBM Intellistation E Pro that is very low (not high) and not very wide. There is no riser card and it can't fit full-height PCI cards into it.
I need to connect up a very expensive Canon DR3080C scanner using SCSI. Existing SCSI card has had the mounting bracket removed and although it squeezes in (just) the 72 pin external connector is too big and we can't plug anything in to it.
I've scoured a couple of Auckland computer stores and they have little choice in SCSI cards (including Dick Smiths, Dr Floppy, that place on Newton Road). I've also talked to the local Adaptec agent and I am struggling.
Also considered running a cable from the internal SCSI connectors but they are on top of the card so won't be able to close the lid on the machine once they are plugged in. Considered a USB-SCSI convertor but not sure if that would work.
Seeking divine and left field ideas that stop short of taking an angle grinder to the chassis.
robo.
(BTW, OSE stands for Oh Sh1t! Experience

Babe Ruth
14-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Robo,

Adaptec supply low-profile SCSI controllers (mainly for servers) the 29160LP Ascent technology could supply it hellishly expensive tho at $550 retail. Adaptec 29160LP (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=110439) I'm sure you can get a better deal than that!

Adaptec also have a USB2.0 to SCSI solution available for about $164 retail USBXchange (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=110315) which may do the trick. (My pick!)

You can also get USB to SCSI convertor cables (DataPro put one out) They are usually USB1.1 to SCSI (50pin)

Cheers, Babe.

Graham L
14-08-2003, 04:23 PM
"Expensive" ...

At that price they should throw in a computer to run it too. 40 pages/min scanning. :O

You might have troubles with a USB-SCSI if it's only USB1.1. That data rate at 40 pages/min would be "quite high". Apart from the deligtful debugging you can enjoy with USB which "nearly" works, or "works once". :D SCSI is nice when it works, and it usually stays working when you get it right.

I'd leave the lid off the box. Screw it to the wall above the table the scanner sits on, and say its a working kinetic techno-sculpture.

somebody
14-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Is it possible to buy a riser card for it?

robo
14-08-2003, 08:06 PM
No room for a riser, the AGP card is smack in the middle and there isn't room for a riser and a card to go into it. Riser would need less height on the SCSI than I already need.
I am going to try a ribbon cable off the card tomorrow. Wasted massive amounts of time talking to computer shops.
robo.