PDA

View Full Version : Twin View on Mandrake 9.1

i-gordon
13-08-2003, 05:41 PM
I need more help.
My attempts at setting up my Twin View monitors have been unsuccessful
probably because of my lack of know how. I have tried to follow the instructions on the how tos to configure the NVidia Driver but all I do is wipe out the DM Can someone give me the command lines to restore the backup config file for the NVidia Driver from the root login so that I can get back to square one when it all goes wrong.

Dolby Digital
13-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Do you live in Wgtn? I like a challenge!

Chilling_Silently
13-08-2003, 06:23 PM
I dont live in Wellington.. I'd still be keen to know how you get it done, only I'd be using the TV-O at the same time on my nVidia GF4 MX440SE-T.

Redhat 9 instead.. :-)

i-gordon
13-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Auckland.
All the instructions are simple enough, so I must be missing something.
I've had 4 attempts so far but each time it disables the display manager.
I need a simple way to restore the config file instead of reinstalling mandrake.
Thanks for any help

Chilling_Silently
14-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Try loggin in as root from a console (Hit Crtl + Alt + F2) and change to the /etc/X11/ directory, type:
cp XF86Config XF86Config.userbackup

Or replace XF86Config with the name of your XFree Config file.

When you go and kill it like myself (Im counting about 15 times ive broken it now), just copy the .userbackup fle over top of the origional and restart X :-)

If you're keen, I'd like to meet F2F sometime with somebody and have a crack at it!

If you are too, send me a buzz at Chilling*_*Silence*@*Orcon*.*Net*.*NZ

:-)

Dolby Digital
14-08-2003, 11:32 AM
>>All the instructions are simple enough, so I must be missing something.
I have followed instructions on how to get something working and it doesn't (no wonder my hair is greying). As all Linux installations can be different, some little issue might be stopping it working (of course you don't know what it is till you get it working!)

i-gordon
14-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Chilling & Dolby
Thanks for the tips. I havent got around to trying anything yet, but I will later today. After reinstalling mandrake 4 times in a day I'm getting a bit brassed off. I'm determined to get twin view working because I like mandrake and I don't think anyone who has had two monitors can never be happy with one. I probably wouldn't be much use to anyone in F2F as I am a complete novice with linux. I can see the advantage now in buying the complete distro package instead of just the cheap 3 CDs. I'm going to look for some books like Mandrake for Dummys. Ive looked at the RUTE but its heavy duty reading when trying to find solutions to problems. I'll post again after I try a few things.
Ian Gordon
i-gordon@win.co.nz