PDA

View Full Version : Printer Purchase

FrankS
13-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Some food for thought
HP 3325 Printer, Black cartridge HP27approx $50, 10ml = $5 per ml of ink (No refill located)
HP 3820 Printer, Black cartridge, HP15 approx $65, 25ml = $2.65 per ml of ink (Refill kits available reducing cost to $0.38 per ml of ink)
Colour cartridge costs similar.
Taking into account the running costs, it is well worth spending sometime on the makers web site sorting out the specs for the cartridges used and the availability of refill kits
Above triggered by helping out a neighbour with HP 3325 problems that turned out to be the CD drive playing up.

Graham L
13-08-2003, 05:14 PM
I have noticed in Dick's windows an HP printer for $98. If it uses 2 cartridges at $50 each ... how economic is it to buy cartridges when you run out of ink?

I know Bic didn't completely kill the pen market for Parker, but this is getting ridiculous. :D

godfather
13-08-2003, 05:20 PM
If you are using the printer only for "recreational" use, then refills may be OK.

My experience is that quality certainly suffers, as there is a critical negative pressure needed thats very hard to get when refilling.
Some refills leak, others won't print. You have to puncture the ink bladder to refill, which makes it operate quite differently from then on.

I have given up on refilling HP(15) as the cost is not too high for me (I use a laser for 95% of the work)

The advantage of the HP is, that if its not a runner, a new cartridge gives a new print head as well, not so with some others.

If you really want a fright on running costs, look at the Canon portable ink jets. I have seen a cartridge dissapear in 10 pages of text....

Fire-and-Ice
13-08-2003, 06:14 PM
I am not at all impressed with the Calidad black ink cartridge that I tried for my HP Deskjet. The quality of the prints is nowhere near as good as the original HP cartridges.

godfather
13-08-2003, 06:28 PM
> I have noticed in Dick's windows an HP printer for
> $98. If it uses 2 cartridges at $50 each ... how
> economic is it to buy cartridges when you run out of
> ink?

New printers have special "low load" cartridges in many cases. Only a small amount of ink. $o you $oon need to buy real one$, and that'$ where the money i$ made.

roofus
13-08-2003, 07:17 PM
i'm confused with your last comments in regards to the cannon, i run a BJC-1000SP (last years cheapo model) and when i was doing my research i found that canon had the best ink for money ratio.
with a High Capacity cartridge (which is cheaper than the normal) you can get up to 1500 pages, albeit in draft mode

godfather
13-08-2003, 07:21 PM
> i'm confused with your last comments in regards to
> the cannon, i run a BJC-1000SP (last years cheapo
> model) and when i was doing my research i found that
> canon had the best ink for money ratio.

Talking about a BJC-50 here, portable printer. Tiny cartridges.

roofus
13-08-2003, 07:28 PM
must have been a dud, you should expect around 150 pages from the cartriges they use.
A man of your long standing wisdom and knowledge really shouldn't be posting false truths like that godfather, you dissapoint me.

FrankS
13-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Just found out a refill Kit for the HP 27, bringing the cost down to $0.38 same as the HP 15. Have used refill ink a HP deskjet 948c, (HP15 and HP78), the only noticeable difference is that the black was slightly slower drying and the colours slightly lighter which can be adjusted on the printer.

godfather
13-08-2003, 08:25 PM
> must have been a dud, you should expect around 150
> pages from the cartriges they use.

I dont make the news roofus, I report it as it happened.

Wasn't my printer, but I did have to feed it the cartridges.
(I have more sense than to buy that brand of printer you see...) :)

And Canon also say "up to 45 pages in HQ mode at 5% coverage" and "Output by cartridge may vary based on operating conditions"
Obviously we were using more than 5% coverage....the draft mode was barely legible, so we couldn't use it.

Graham L
14-08-2003, 03:53 PM
For price per page of text, you can't beat a laser. Except with a dot-matrix. :D I suspect the daisywheel would be a bit expensive these days ... the carbon ribbons are expensive, and fabric ribbons, apart form poor quality, tended to wear out the wheels.