PDA

View Full Version : MS 98se TO MS XP

Poppa John
12-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Many moons ago I had w98se on this m/c. I then had the wXP Home ugrade disc installed. Other than a few bugs it went OK.
What would happen if I tried to use the same disc on the Dell 98se m/c of Maryann's? Would it let me? Poppa John

Pheonix
12-08-2003, 11:01 PM
It would let you load it but it would require a different "activation" code from MS and therefore give you 30 days to explain to MS why you have 2 PC's with the same install code.
It requires the install code, then it gives you a second code. These are quoted to MS to get the third and "activate " code. Now you see the flaw in your suggestion? :D

Pheonix
12-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Forgot to mention that the second code produced is determined by the install code AND the computer hardware. It will definitely be different to your first install.

godfather
12-08-2003, 11:04 PM
It would initially "let you", but then 2 problems:

It would probably fail to "activate" as its already registered to your machine. Then it would stop working after a few days.

Maryann's machine is a bit low in spec (400 MHz) for XP, and it would be like wading through thick porridge waiting for it to work. Thats for the short time it would work, because you were unable to have it active on 2 machines at once.

Microsoft seem to think you should pay for a licence for each copy installed, which is probably quite reasonable.... :)

Poppa John
12-08-2003, 11:11 PM
OK Guys, thought it would be something like that. Thanks anyway PJ
GF you have a good memory. Maryann = 400mhz, also only 64 ram at the moment. Got an E-m in to QMB about 2x128 ram sticks at the moment. That will probably be as far as we will go, apart from some tweaks as suggested earlier PJ

D. McG
13-08-2003, 02:19 PM
>Maryann's machine is a bit low in spec (400 MHz) for XP, and it would be like wading through thick porridge waiting for it to work.

One has to wonder why the size of Windows has roughly doubled since 98SE - apart from System Restore (which can be turned off). And the extra RAM and higher CPU required? Could it be that 'bulletproofing' half of the Windows source code for increased stability caused such overheads? Or is Windows creating tons of unnecessary logs and cramming in more 'features' that we will hardly ever use - half of which may be used for unknown purposes behind our backs?

I know that XP is based on NT, which is different to 98SE's DOS core. Surely that shouldn't make too much difference, as it's only one abstraction layer of the architecture. Of course, there's .NET - what contribution does that have?

Okay, new computers are getting more RAM, disk space & speed, but wouldn't it be nicer if we could have more of these resources to spare?

Mike
13-08-2003, 02:50 PM
> >Maryann's machine is a bit low in spec (400 MHz) for
> XP, and it would be like wading through thick
> porridge waiting for it to work.
>
> One has to wonder why the size of Windows has roughly
> doubled since 98SE - apart from System Restore (which
> can be turned off). And the extra RAM and higher CPU
> required? Could it be that 'bulletproofing' half of
> the Windows source code for increased stability
> caused such overheads? Or is Windows creating tons of
> unnecessary logs and cramming in more 'features' that
> we will hardly ever use - half of which may be used
> for unknown purposes behind our backs?
>
> I know that XP is based on NT, which is different to
> 98SE's DOS core. Surely that shouldn't make too much
> difference, as it's only one abstraction layer of the
> architecture. Of course, there's .NET - what
> contribution does that have?
>
> Okay, new computers are getting more RAM, disk space
> & speed, but wouldn't it be nicer if we could have
> more of these resources to spare?

So what? A game I bought and installed the other day came on 3 CDs. Another is on a DVD (or on 5 CDs if I'd got the CD version). Back a few years ago (when an OS fit on 6 Floppy disks) I could get a game on a few floppies, or perhaps that filled about 10-20% of a CD. As everything gets better, they also get bigger. Although my OS and games are getting bigger, my drives seem to be getting bigger faster, so they're not filling up as fast as they used to.

Mike.

Odin
14-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Heck I used to think Doom was a massive game at 12 megs now that is nothing compared to modern games. I got Windows 95 on Floppy disk about 8 or ten of them if I remember. OS's are getting bigger cause they are packing them with more stuff to cater for the change from 12 bit 16 bit to 32 bit and now 64 files systems. They also have more security features and all that wonderful microsoft spyware so they can keep track of everything you do. Also the internet browser has increased to cater to the new features of the internet and users demands and lets not forget all the pretty graphics involved with XP that takes up pleanty of room ;-)

Murray P
14-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi PJ, how many ram slots do you have? You might be better getting one 256MB stick rather than 2x 128's. Some boards get a bit grumpy if you fill all their slots up, especially if its different ram. Probably cheaper to buy 1 stick as well.

Just a thought, cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
14-08-2003, 11:01 AM
> Hi PJ, how many ram slots do you have? You might be
> better getting one 256MB stick rather than 2x 128's.
> Some boards get a bit grumpy if you fill all their
> slots up, especially if its different ram. Probably
> cheaper to buy 1 stick as well.

Yes, it is cheaper to buy a single stick of RAM, only PJ/MA's motherboard cannot take over 128MB sticks :-)

Poppa John
14-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Murray & Chill. Comments noted. Maryann's Dell Max's out at 256 but must have it as 2x128. Sent E-m to QMB a couple of days ago, no reply yet, must be busy..They quote $40-46 per stick + freight. Leamings here in Wanganui are asking $195.95 per stick. Solid gold ones of course. Dick Smith want $87 each. We are putting more Icons on M's desktop & the poor old 64 ram is struggling.
Poppa John

Chilling_Silently
14-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Win98 will certainly run much smoother with even the extra 128MB (if you were to keep your initial 64MB), but the extra 64MB on top of that (If you used 2x 128MB sticks) would still be noticable if you multi-task a lot.

All I can say is that Ive run WinXP on a PC with only 64MB RAM and it was a nightmare... Lagged so much... too slow... I knew there was a reason why I put 98 back on it! ;-)

Poppa John
14-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi Chill. We will press on with more Ram for M's m/c. As to putting XP onit.... I would love to but the Dell is much too small. Will have to wait till Lotto lands at our place. Seeya. PJ

Poppa John
15-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Had a reply from QMB saying they have not got the right Ram for the Dell computer, Damn.
Dell is not in NZ any more as far as I know, so who does any servicing for them? PJ

godfather
15-08-2003, 09:15 PM
PJ, Dick Smith Electronics have ordinary SD RAM in 128Mb sticks.

Why not try the easy places first?
Often they will take it back if it doesn't work. Wanganui has stock, and its only $87

Catalogue number XH7429.....

Poppa John
15-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Goddie. Yep already asked & they will take it back if it doesn't work. Providing I use the earth strap & all precautions. fair enough. Pity tho as two ram sticks from QMB = one from Dick Smith. PJ

Maryann
15-08-2003, 10:17 PM
PJ should have added that Dick Smith's salesman mentioned that the type of ram they have is about 85% sure to work, as they dont have the exact one for Dell. I am quite happy to allow PJ to use the 98, and let me use the grunty XP....how much kinder can a woman be!! ;)

(Hi Chill....LOL re your comment ... cell phone-pay phone !!:^O Now we know how to entertain ourselves on a winters day )

Maryann
16-08-2003, 02:26 PM
The "saga" of extra RAM is, I am happy to announce...OVER. :D :D
Nice guy down at Computer Sales and Services in Dublin Street, Wanganui, put in a "pre-loved 128 ram" for $70, including installation and testing. On a busy Saturday morning, we think that was really good of him. Computer now so fast that I may be able to see Billy T's WFTWE before he's even typed it in. B-) B-)
P.J will now relax, and we can now become more addicted than ever.!!
Creeps!! :O :O
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. PJ AND MA

godfather
16-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Well done. Nice to hear that all is well.
Take care
gf

PoWa
16-08-2003, 06:02 PM
> One has to wonder why the size of Windows has roughly doubled since 98SE - apart from System Restore (which can be turned off). And the extra RAM and higher CPU required? Could it be that 'bulletproofing' half of the Windows source code for increased stability caused such overheads? Or is Windows creating tons of unnecessary logs and cramming in more 'features' that we will hardly ever use - half of which may be used for unknown purposes behind our backs?

Microsoft don't know what "compression" is.

Susan B
16-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Excellent stuff, Maryann and PJ. :-)

Must admit that I am a little disappointed that PJ did not do the job himself though, but you can't turn down an offer as good as that, can you. ;-)

> Computer now so fast that I may be able to see Billy T's WFTWE before he's even typed it in.

In that case your PC is now faster than my one then! :^O