PDA

View Full Version : (not again?) Telecom Jet Start 256k

amyes5
12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
OK all you people with Telecom contacts start asking these questions (1) Why is 128k ADSL disappearing soon?(2)What is ADSL 2 ? (3) What is ADSL 3? (4)Why is it going to cost more?

-=JM=-
12-08-2003, 09:30 PM
I'd just wait for it all to happen... no one knows what will happen til it actually does happen.

Kame
12-08-2003, 10:06 PM
1: If it were 'Telecom' to increase the speed then only business access would be changed as they aren't involved with 'Xtra' as they are seperate entities, but we know 'Xtra' is part of 'Telecom'. If this is true, the reason is Bandwidth charges have come down and their profit has been increasing that they should up the speed to 256K. Unless they change it, all ISPs can not do anything until 'Telecom/Xtra' go ahead with it as they control the DSL Technology. This however doesn't mean this is the reason, it's still a rumour and shouldn't concern us, till officials have spoken about it. 128K isn't disappearing yet, still have to wait on 'Telecom/Xtra' if that's the case.

2: N/A 3: N/A

4: Who said it's going to cost more, in short, 128K prices should have been lowered but Major ISPs prefer higher profits. Bandwidth charges have come down but unless Major ISPs drop their price and lose their already gained 1000+ customers paying high prices already, why would they do that? They are a business after all. Until the Kings fall, the rest will follow, although some have tried making them tumble but they never succeed, goodwill and word of others about quality of service and because they are already big gives them an advantage.

5: This is a rumour, until officially said, it's not something to talk about. You just increase the rumour. I'll speak with someone within Telecom and find out how true this could be... as far as I was concerned, Mobile Technology/Internet was the talk.

Tulkas
12-08-2003, 11:58 PM
This is just a rumor I have heard from a friend, who works for telstraclear.
Sometime next month they will get access to all the local exchanges that they have fibre to. Which will then let them provide there own DSL services and Landline services for local calls for that matter. This should see the prices come down and the bandwidth come up.

godfather
13-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Its called getting access to the Local Loop, or LLU (Local Loop Unbundling)

Presently with the Commerce Commission (since April 10)

It probably will happen, date uncertain. There is plenty of artices on it, search away.

TonyF
13-08-2003, 12:27 AM
>

> (Local Loop Unbundling)
^^^^^^^
I believe bundling used to be much more fun.........

Chilling_Silently
13-08-2003, 01:52 AM
Bundling.. Newspapers?

Im all keen for the price drop/speed increase, or even both :-)

I know a fair few people who would go JetStream starter if it were only $10 per month less... We're talking 25% of my friends who have the internet would do it..!

JamesStewart
13-08-2003, 09:57 AM
I have had a talk with some one at Xtra and their basic reply was "We have "no" idea about any bandwidth increase or price dropping." That just shows that the general public wont know anything untill it happens :(

Greg S
13-08-2003, 10:28 AM
> I know a fair few people who would go JetStream
> starter if it were only $10 per month less...

It is around $10 less... just ask Orcon :D

Also... I have an inside contact at Telecom, and this "rumour" is rife within the ranks - I bet 256 will happen

Chilling_Silently
13-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Ahh.. It is good to "Know people in the know" ;-)

Kame
13-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Xtra are not at the same level as the Business Corporate side of things, Depending on whoever you spoke to and what section they are in, they probably have no idea about this, as Telecom/Xtra would not want to leak information on this.

My friend within them, kept his mouth shut, but he said I should keep an eye on Microsoft's XBox :/. I don't know if buying one is on my shopping list but we'll see.

Beef
13-08-2003, 07:01 PM
there will be a XBOX network in nz like in the states..might actually go and buy me one...maybe..nah i wont..

i wish they would make there mind up about this rural broadband stuff! i want fast interweb

Kame
14-08-2003, 02:53 PM
> We're talking 25% of my friends who have
> the internet would do it..!

So Chill what is 25% of 0? nah jokes mate, we're all friends here :P

*Adds chill to list of friends = (1 of 1)

Chilling_Silently
14-08-2003, 03:04 PM
> *Adds chill to list of friends = (1 of 1)

LOL ;-)

Now, dependant on which of the side of the 25% you're on.. I'd suggest you use orcon ;-)

Big John
14-08-2003, 07:42 PM
> I have had a talk with some one at Xtra and their
> basic reply was "We have "no" idea about any
> bandwidth increase or price dropping." That just
> shows that the general public wont know anything
> untill it happens :(

They are probably the same ones who did not know that more than 1/2 of their pay phones were out of action as well.

Chilling_Silently
15-08-2003, 01:41 PM
LOL!

Vearing a little OT here.. Anybody ever sat down in a food court facing the phones and rung them with your cell phone, and watched the expressions of people walking past as they see the Pay-Phones ring!

...Dont mind me... ;-)

PoWa
15-08-2003, 04:26 PM
How do you find the number of the payphone chill? Would be good for a laugh no doubt :)

parry
15-08-2003, 04:54 PM
<<It is around $10 less... just ask Orcon

Am I missing something ... looks like $50/mth at least to me. ?:| ?:|

http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/jetstart/

DangerousDave
15-08-2003, 05:59 PM
lol our school has a telecom pay phone, so theres nothing better than a boring science class than looking out the window, ringing the payphone and watching all the teachers run up and try to pick it up. Unfortuanately they can't pick up, but it doesn't cost anything. Then again, being able to say matrix style comments would be very, very funny...

to get the number of the phone push the (i) button, it has it under nation code i think? something like 64(9)xxxxxxxx, just like a normal number, just take the prefixes off...

- David

Chilling_Silently
15-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Actually, I have spoken to the people from telecom... I let it ring too long and somebody from telecom intercepted it and wanted to know why I was ringing that number.. but that was after it rang for 60 odd seconds.

Its the Phone Identifier, its on the phone Booth part.

Also, you can talk to people... Its a phone, right!?!

*Oh how I should have stayed at home that day*

stu140103
15-08-2003, 11:08 PM
> *Oh how I should have stayed at home that day*

:D :)

]:)

DangerousDave
16-08-2003, 12:37 AM
No you cannot have the phone picked up, the payphone says only a telecom registered number can pick it up. And i've never, ever, heard of this phone identifier and i've left it ringing for about 5 minutes

- David