PDA

View Full Version : How to stop the "Norton Antivirus has expired.." window

somebody
09-08-2003, 12:16 PM
My subscription service to Norton Antivirus expired a while ago. I don't intend to re-subscribe, simply because of the cost involved. I have now got AVG antivirus, but I want to keep NAV just as a backup in case AVG doesn't pick up an older virus which NAV already has the definitions for.

I am being pestered every time I log on that my subscription has expired, and it tries to get me to renew it. How can I get rid of that window so it never pops up again?

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 12:28 PM
untick "check for updates" and make sure the auto protect is off and nortons is disabled from startup.

phylip
09-08-2003, 02:24 PM
send me an e-mail to my secondary address suekay60@hotmail.com
and ill tell you how

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 03:02 PM
what is it with people saying "email me at XXX@XXX as i know the answer".

whats the point of a help forum if people do all the helping off the forum.

besides getting cracks for nortons is dead simple ;-)

phylip
09-08-2003, 03:08 PM
becouse some things you dont want discussed on a public forum

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 03:26 PM
>becouse some things you dont want discussed on a public forum

hey we're discussing pc's not your sex life ! ! ! :^O

somebody
09-08-2003, 04:00 PM
OK tweak'e... calm down slightly.

I don't see how an innocent thing like disabling the "you should renew your subscription" window shouldn't be discussed on a public forum. I own a legal copy of Norton Antivirus(came with mobo) which is why I am willing to ask for help about it on a public forum.

I am not interested in getting cracks for NAV. I just want a simple way to disable the annoying window. I'm sure it's somewhere in the settings somewhere, but I just can't find where it is.

I don't actually want to disable NAV, I just want it to stop asking me to renew my subscription.

somebody
09-08-2003, 04:01 PM
I probably should have mentioned that this is NAV 2002.

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 05:20 PM
you can't RUN two antvirus's at the same time, so you have to disable nortons or avg. i sugest disabling nortons as avg is more upto date. don't worry you can always manully run nortons if you need to. disbling the auto update in nortons should stop the annoying window and it will definatly stop once nortons is disabled from running at startup.

somebody
09-08-2003, 05:34 PM
why can't I have both running at the same time? It seems to be working fine at the moment.

I have disabled auto-update, but it still comes up. It seems to have calmed down slightly however, as it hasn't popped up as many times today.

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 05:39 PM
the two scanning engines can conflict with each other resulting in no protection at all or seeing the other antivirus as a virus.

Thomas
09-08-2003, 06:43 PM
>hey we're discussing pc's not your sex life ! ! !

So you do have a sense of humour;)

somebody
09-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Ok. I'll disable NAV then.