PDA

View Full Version : Program to make audio files the same volume/level

somebody
26-07-2003, 10:23 AM
I'm going to be organising a concert very soon, and I want the sound to be done for it computer-based. I want to rip all CDs/Tapes which need to be used onto the computer so that the sound tech doesn't need to worry about finding and changing CDs/Tapes.

The problem is, not all CDs and Tapes are recorded at the same volume. Is there some kind of program out there which will automatically make a group of audio files the same volume?

It would just make life easier regarding setting levels on the PA system

Odin
26-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Audio Catalyst has a Normalisation feature that you can use to make all ripped MP3's the same volume as you rip them, I am sure the other programs do similar things as well. It is adjustable to what ever level you want.

Big John
26-07-2003, 10:44 AM
MP3Gain does it well.

somebody
26-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks Odin and Big John. I'll have a hunt around for those programs

Odin
27-07-2003, 02:02 AM
If you are using Win2000 you may need to get the ASPI drivers to rip from cd to stereo MP3 (may also apply to XP) if you do then I can e-mail you the ASPI file as its only 148 k.

Robby
27-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Gidday,

Most programs that you use, to rip cds or record tapes to your computer, have the normalization feature incorporated into the program, and its a matter of making sure its turned on before you start recording or ripping.

good luck,

Robby

somebody
27-07-2003, 11:05 AM
The machine I intend to use it on will be a Win98 machine, which I have tested the program dBPowerAmp Music Converter on, and which rips CDs sucessfully.

The program Big John suggested (MP3Gain) works excellent, but I have only tried it on a WinXP machine at this stage.

Thanks for all your help.