PDA

View Full Version : Can I transfer my IE 'Favorites' to new PC?

Peter
17-07-2003, 11:09 PM
How can I retain my 'Favorites' when I shift house to a new computer?

I tried the File>Import/Export wizard which produced a file named 'Bookmark/htm'.

Then I emailed the file to myself on the new pc but was unable to load it to 'My Docs'.

I also burned the file to a cd without success.

Maybe it can't be done!

I would also like to transfer selected 'Cookies' but I expect these are pc specific.

Can anyone please help me?

Elephant
17-07-2003, 11:16 PM
> How can I retain my 'Favorites' when I shift house to
> a new computer?
>
> I tried the File>Import/Export wizard which produced
> a file named 'Bookmark/htm'.
The right idea so far!! Should be bookmark.htm
>
> Then I emailed the file to myself on the new pc but
> was unable to load it to 'My Docs'.
When you Emailed it you should attach the bookmark.htm file to the message. Pick up the Email and save the attachment on the new computer. Use File / Import to import bookmark.htm to new computer.

Similar with cookies except that File / Export will give you cookies.txt.
I also burned the file to a cd without success.
>
> Maybe it can't be done!
>
> I would also like to transfer selected 'Cookies' but
> I expect these are pc specific.
>
> Can anyone please help me?

Susan B
17-07-2003, 11:33 PM
All I do is go to the Favorites folder in Windows Explorer, copy it to a floppy or CD (or send it across the network) and then paste it onto the other computer in the same place, overwriting that Favorites folder.

Works for me every time - I have never mucked about with imports and exports.

Cookies? Never done that one before but I imagine it could be done the same way - copy and paste the Cookie folder. Might be system specific though and if you are using different versions of Windows it may spit the dummy.

beama
17-07-2003, 11:41 PM
I do the same as Susan, but remember if changing OS (98 to xp for example) the Fav' folder will be user specific

allanh
18-07-2003, 12:28 AM
in win 9X copy the folder C:\windows\favourites to a disk, then to the new conputer.
in XP C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Favorites
these folders get big. I prefer to use netscape cos it saves its bookmarks as one html file. you can always fit it onto a floppy, open it in a browser, and click on the link in it to go to a site.
Just one of the many ways that Internet Explorer falls behind the competetiton, along with lack of security, being bloatware, being targeted by the virus writers, active scripting , and crappy default configuration.

amitluis
18-07-2003, 01:15 AM
Go to www.mybookmarks.com and sign up for the free service. It is simply brilliant & I've been grateful to it on many occasions. There is a small utility you can download called "remark" that automatically imports and exports to your browser(s) anywhere you are and you also have full web access to view your bookmarks and even export them from there to your browser should you not wish to download "remark". I use multiple PC's at work & also backup my bookmarks at home coz it has come in handy numerous times too, all you gotta do is login to the website and it's all there. Hope this helps !

Fishb8
19-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Try a free-to-download, shareware program called INACHIS. It's great for doing back-ups of both mail and favourites.

Peter H
19-07-2003, 03:17 PM
My favourite program. http://www.inachis.com
Bye

gerrypics
19-07-2003, 10:13 PM
as above "inachis" So easy to use