PDA

View Full Version : Operating System: 98 to XP

Sami
20-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Many thanks to all who responded to my last post on this topic. I have now run the compatibilty scan and append the results. Doesn't look too alarming, but I'm a little worried about the comment on the Modem - is the enumerator critical?

I have annotated the other results - some of the items I've never heard and so don't use :-)

Comments appreciated.

__________________________________________________ ________

Setup found hardware or software on your computer that might not or will not work with Windows XP. You should read and understand this upgrade report before continuing.
For more information, click a topic:
Warnings
Helpful Information
Setup has detected that some hardware or programs on your computer might not function correctly after the upgrade is completed. This lack of functionality can have an effect on things you might want to do, such as connecting to the Internet, accessing e-mail, printing, scanning, and playing sounds or music. It is important that you read and understand this upgrade report before continuing. To resolve some of these issues, you can get more information at Microsoft Windows XP Professional <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=574> on the Web.
Setup will automatically back up your existing version of Windows. You can restore your computer safely even if these upgrade problems remain. To uninstall Windows XP, go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Warnings (return to top)
The following issues might require you to obtain files from Microsoft Windows Update Web site or a manufacturer's Web site. You can still continue to upgrade to Windows XP without resolving these issues, but some hardware or software might not work. Follow the recommendations in each section.
Hardware Compatibility Issues
Setup has found hardware on your computer that is incompatible with (that is, it does not work with) Windows XP.
Hardware That Might Need Additional Files
The following hardware might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP. Contact your hardware vendors to obtain Windows XP compatible updates. In many cases, if a Windows XP version is not yet available, a Windows 2000 compatible update should work. It is recommended that you obtain these drivers in advance.
You can also view the Microsoft Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List <http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?Prd=Whistler&Ar=Help&Sba=compatible> on the Web.
Please note that some of the following entries might be software that is registered as hardware.

HSFMODEMWDM
Generic PCI Modem Enumerator (NB: Will this prevent the Modem from working?)

Other devices
Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 670C (not currently present) (NB: No longer in use)

Printers
V3 CallCenter Printer (NB: Never Heard of this and so certainly don't need it)

Software Compatibility Issues
Software That Does Not Support Windows XP
Setup has found programs on your computer that are incompatible with (that is, they do not work with) Windows XP. Contact your software vendors to obtain updates or Windows XP-compatible versions. If you don't update these programs before you upgrade, the programs will not work after the upgrade is completed.

3Com EuSynth (in Control Panel) (I think that this runs my audio)

IntelŪ Graphics Technology (in Control Panel) (What would be the effect of losing this?)

Java Plug-in 1.3.1 (in Control Panel) (Necessary?)

Before you upgrade to Windows XP, you should remove any incompatible programs if you can. After the upgrade, uninstall for these programs might not work. Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel can help you uninstall most programs. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Add/Remove Programs.

Norton Disk Doctor
This program may have compatibility issues on this version of Windows.
Norton Image Disk
Norton Registry Tracker
Speed Disk

NB I guess I can get along without these. Are there alternatives in XP I wonder?

Software That Must Be Reinstalled
The following programs need to be reinstalled after the upgrade, because they use different files and settings in Windows XP.

Delrina WinFax PRO (on the Start menu)
Easy CD Creator 4
IntelliPoint 4.x
Web Publishing Wizard (on the Start menu)

Don't use the last, and can reinstall the others.

Helpful Information (return to top)
The following issues are listed for your information only. You can continue the upgrade to Windows XP.
Software Compatibility Issues
Software That Might Not Support Windows XP
Setup cannot determine if the following programs are compatible with Windows XP. Setup will disable them during the upgrade to eliminate the risk of problems. Contact the software vendor to obtain an upgrade pack.
Ad-aware 6.0 (a startup program) I think V6 will run on XP, or will be upgradeable)
Ad-aware 6 (a startup program)
Mail.com Alert (a startup program) (Can dispense with this, or replace with an XP compatible version
)
General Information
This section provides important information that you need to be aware of before you upgrade.
Backup Files Found
Setup found files on your computer that appear to be a backup of part of Windows 98. During the upgrade to Windows XP, Setup removes Windows 98 from your computer, including any backups you might have on your hard disk. Some files in the following folders will be removed:
c:\Software Downloads\mirascanv403u10\MiraScan v4.03u10_BQA\TWAIN

NB: I have the scanner driver saved to a CD.

Protect your backup files by copying them to floppy disks, a network server, a compressed archive file, or other backup mechanism.
Recycle Bin
Setup found 77 files in your Recycle Bin. If you continue upgrading to Windows XP, these files will be deleted.
Other Upgrade Information
Microsoft Upgrade Pack 1
Program Notes
Microsoft Word 6.0 and Excel 5.0
The Examples and Demos Help option is designed only for Windows 98, not for Windows XP. After the upgrade, Examples and Demos will not be available.

Chilling_Silence
20-03-2003, 11:36 AM
I dunno if it'll affect it.

If you've got drivers on a CD, try those..
I was gonna suggest that you use XP's driver update function and try for one off the web, but if you cant get online.. that's kinda pointless ;-)

Printer drivers should be on the CD.. or just use the next closest match that XP has :-)

Mike
20-03-2003, 08:15 PM
The modem will be installed with the enumerator using Windows XP drivers - you won't need extra ones (that's how mine works).

The HP printer should also be find running off XP drivers, however if it doesn't work properly, I'm pretty sure that the XP drivers can be found on the HP site.

Mike.

Pheonix
20-03-2003, 08:46 PM
You should download and save modem drivers for your HSF modem, XP has a hard time picking it up, though the HCF type are not a problem. Also go to roxio.com and pick up the latest UDF driver as Adaptec 4 will install an old version which causes problems on XP. AVG has no problem if you want a free antivirus and adaware 6 is no problem.