PDA

View Full Version : Re-start Problems

Endee
05-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Recently I have been having problems with re-starting my computer. Over the last week or so, each morning when I start, it takes 2 or 3 attempts before windows eventually loads.
I do not always get the same error message:
sometimes I get a blue screen saying "windows protection error..you need to restart your computer" other times it will boot straight into safe mode and other times the monitor will intitially power-on at the start of boot-up but will then drop back to what seems to be power-saving mode.

This morning I noted the following:
Five new files had been created in the root of C:\, all with today's date and current time at startup
AUTOEXEC.BAT
AUTOEXEC.BAK
AUTOEXEC.CAM
CONFIG.SYS
CONFIG.BAK
In windows explorer, both the AUTOEXEC.BAK and CONFIG.BAK are shown as being of file type "n"
Windows explorer also displays 2 C:\WINDOWS folders in the right hand file pane but only one instance of WINDOWS appears in the left hand folder tree pane.
One folder has the original install date and the other is dated 4/2/2003 00:05. At about that time the computer was sitting idly when it inexplicably re-started of it's accord and re-started again about 5 or 10 minutes later - again without any input from me. I tried deleting the newer Windows folder, but could not as it contained "system folders required to run windows".
When I use the DIR command in a DOS window, it reports 2 instances of a WINDOWS directory in the root of C:\ drive.

I hope that there is someone out there who may have a fix for this problem.

System Specs:
PC Company Athlon 800mHz
384MB SDRAM
30GB HDD partitioned C:\ 5GB and D:\ 25GB
O/S : Windows ME

roofus
05-02-2003, 11:00 AM
These two windows folders do they have the same info in them?
Note it is not possible to have 2 directories with the same name, surely they differ some how

Endee
06-02-2003, 01:51 PM
I also was under the impression that you couldn't have two folders with the same name. Both folders are named WINDOWS (no added spaces or any other characters) and both contain identical subfolders and files.
However, when viewing in windows explorer, only one windows folder is shown in the left hand folder pane although 2 are displayed in the right hand pane