PDA

View Full Version : WFTWE......Trichotillomania........It's been one of those weeks...

Billy T
15-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Trichotillomania

The abnormal urge to pull out one's hair

If I had any left, it would be on the floor after the day I've had! :_|

I had a month like this one week, the pain fades but I still remember;)

I'm outa here. :| B-)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

PS I see our old friend the preview null is still around too. Anybody know what's wrong or why it is persisting?

Clueless
18-11-2002, 08:21 PM
my brain cell is floating around somewhere but i cant find it today.... nowonder i missed the WFTWE..

keep it up Billy T

.Clueless

betty
26-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I just can't help myself... I know how stupid and unnecessary the whole thing is, but I find my self pulling without even realising it! And once I start it tends to go on for a bit. Any ideas on how to stop?
I'm dying here :help:

Bets

Metla
26-10-2007, 02:40 PM
No, But Billy will be most impressed to see one of his beloved word of the week threads bounced up.

As for the hair pulling, You will eventually run out.

beeswax34
26-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I just can't help myself... I know how stupid and unnecessary the whole thing is, but I find my self pulling without even realising it! And once I start it tends to go on for a bit. Any ideas on how to stop?

Bets

I'd say you need some serious psychiatric help.

Renmoo
26-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Bets
See your GP.

personthingy
27-10-2007, 12:04 AM

BetsI would suggest shaving your hair off to break the habit, and then only letting it grow back once you are sure the habit is gone. This will remove temptation before you get your willpower overriding your whatever it is.

I don't recomend seeing your GP, or anyone. Thier hair needs to remain unpulled!

SurferJoe46
27-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Head shaving may not work either...there is OTHER hair to be pulled if you get to exploring around.

I know a guy who's trying to do a comb-over with his eyebrows now as he has nothing topside to comb-over any more.

Renmoo
27-10-2007, 05:43 AM
I doubt anyone would want to sign up for a new account just to post a trivial message like that...

personthingy
27-10-2007, 08:04 AM
I doubt anyone would want to sign up for a new account just to post a trivial message like that...

betty

Posts: 1 Looks that way tho Jamuz. Perhaps the topic struck a chord of personal relevance to betty? I know i would if i had the habit of pulling my own hair out! I'm a long haired lout ya see :)

/Me curious... Betty, What inspires this habit?
As i type this i realise it could be a stupid question, as it's like asking what inspires nail biting, which is a habit i once had - and beat - and could never explain. I am interested to see what if any reason you have for making your hair the victim of your nervous energies? Am i assuming too much by calling it envious energy?

Cicero
27-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Indeed,wonder what this is all about.

zqwerty
28-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Some caged birds do this, especially parrots and budgies in my experience, eventually they only have feathers on their heads then they freeze to death in the first cold spell. I put it down to boredom. Some birds are probably more intelligent than others hence not all of them do it. You can put a funnel round their necks as is done with dogs to stop them licking healing wounds obsessively, it's a bit more complicated with humans, I recommend a good relationship with the opposite sex but sometimes that is hard to find if you get my meaning.

Cicero
28-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Who cares what its about,it gives Zqwert a chance to show off his knowledge of Darwinian theory.

zqwerty
28-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Nice Cicero, whether we know it or not we are all really just little monkeys at heart.

Actually that is much too simplified but it applies to some people more than others.

SurferJoe46
28-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Some caged birds do this, especially parrots and budgies in my experience, eventually they only have feathers on their heads then they freeze to death in the first cold spell. I put it down to boredom. Some birds are probably more intelligent than others hence not all of them do it. You can put a funnel round their necks as is done with dogs to stop them licking healing wounds obsessively, it's a bit more complicated with humans, I recommend a good relationship with the opposite sex but sometimes that is hard to find if you get my meaning.

I get the same problem with the occasional chicken too.

It's not just boredom...it's usually a mite (a small bug of the arachnid family) that invades the vent (where the eggs and wastes exit) and causes the bird so much grief that it plucks itself bald...except for the head which it cannot reach with it's beak.

Some birds are just kept better..their cage is clean and the growth of mites is minimal. If you use a little DuPont's SEVENŽ dust (carbarol) on their nether regions, it'll destroy the mites and not harm the bird.

I have been seen taking my chickens by the feet, holding them upside-down and dusting their rear ends with SEVEN and gently spanking the dust into their feathers. I am not punishing them..although it looks that way.

SEVEN is not poisonous to lung-type people or animals..just those with book lungs like spiders and some beetles and other exoskeletol insects.

Don't confuse feather pulling with moulting....that is the normal and natural shedding of some feathers when a bird is "refreshed" or force-fasted to make it yield one more good year or season of egg-laying. This latter part is a cruel and needless practice that causes the bird great amounts of grief. Withholding food and/or water for the required week is just mean.

To the human part of hair pulling....

In (some) females it is a bad sign...my daughter did it when her mom died as I was performing CPR for 45 minutes until the paramedics arrived. She watched her mother die on the living room floor.

Afterwards she was found sitting outside shaving her eyebrows (a 3 year old doing this!) and trying to set fire to her fingers.

The psych told me that girls/women with facial hair shaving, hair (from the head) pulling and burning the fingers is all about the same thing.

I don't want to get into the psychosis and causative reasons of these actions...but it can be a sign of deeper problems....not that the occasional hair-pulling is..or might be so.

There are other reasons...like cravings (called pica) for the protein in the hair or eating dirt for iron deficiency. Some preggo moms eat cigarette butts for whatever nutrition is in them..I dunnow!

Hair pulling in males is always just a sign of being married.

Billy T
28-10-2007, 07:41 PM
No, But Billy will be most impressed to see one of his beloved word of the week threads bounced up. I am indeed Metla, this is one of the very early editions, before I started numbering them. It's amazing what a Google search will turn up.

For what it's worth (very little) WFTWE stared out as Word For The Day on Candy, the Beta test site for the new (current) PF1 forum. A small number of long-time members were invited to see if they could hack it or break it, and we managed both. There may be others, but the only Candy member I know of still active here on a regular basis is Foxy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)