PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 10 November 2002 News - where the heck is tweak'e

-=JM=-
10-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Well the first thing of note in news for today would be the obvious What the heck did you do with tweak'e question. The answer being that he is taking a much deserved break

(away from PCs as well :() and has asked me to "do the news" for the next week. So hopefully I don't do it too well and put him out of his job ]:)

True Launch Bar v2.0 has been released
True Lauch Bar allows you to have expandable folders on the quick launch type bars. This can be very handy for grouping particular items. Which is really handy if you use multiple

things of a simlar type, such as Browsers -> Phoenix, Mozilla, Opera, IE, CrazyBrowser. Visit the here (http://www.truelaunchbar.com/) or download directly from

here (http://www.truelaunchbar.com/bin/setup.exe) (remember to call it something sensible, "grrr at setup.exe").

LiteON 52*24*52 CDRW drive
HardwareZone (http://www.hardwarezone.com) has posted up a review of this drive here (http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=10&aid=554).

Though I think 40* is enough for me for the time being.

Detonator 40.72 has gone WHQL!
Grab them from here (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp) if you can't figure out how to get the link, well you shouldn't be getting them anyway :)

Ghostzilla - the "hidden" Mozilla
Ghostzilla (http://www.ghostzilla.com) uses Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) code to give you a browser that does not look as if it's a browser and can be used in

almost any program. As the site says Ghostzilla is a browser for surfing the Web when you don't want anyone to physically see what you are doing. It renders Web pages to look

indistinguishable from your work screen. You make it disappear instantly with one move of your hand and bring it back with another. Ghostzilla can show Web pages discreetly

within literally any application you work with. hmmmmm I sure no what I'm gonna do on Monday :D

Australian Senators endorse Open Source
IN THE CONTEXT OF E-GOVERNMENT conferences and demonstrations of new technology by government agencies, two prominent Australian Senators have endorsed Open

Source solutions, report news.com.au and theage.com.au. read more about it here (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6159) Why can't they do the same in NZ?

well that's all til tomorrow. Unless anyone else has something worthy of adding ;)

*/me goes back to procrastinating :D

-=JM=-
10-11-2002, 09:23 PM
argh, must have stuff to learn. Blank lines were inserted somewhere to od with the copy/paste from notepad.

Jen C
10-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Well done JM!! Made me laugh at your added personal comments, especially about the drivers :D

-=JM=-
10-11-2002, 09:59 PM
Well I'm glad you enjoyed it Jen.

Baldy
10-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Whatabout the news, re Telecoms new pricing structure. Thats gone down like the proverbiak cup of cold s**k.

Baldy
10-11-2002, 11:41 PM
should read proverbial not proverbiak.

I am still flabbergasted to proof-read correctly

Susan B
11-11-2002, 07:18 AM
>> argh, must have stuff to learn. Blank lines were inserted somewhere to od with the copy/paste from notepad.

What do you think the preview button is for? ]:)

wuppo
11-11-2002, 08:33 AM
> What do you think the preview button is for?

converting your reply into null of course :|

honeylaser
11-11-2002, 10:22 AM
What, no mention of the Tablet PC Launch (http://www.idg.net.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/22F66D3150F6EF22CC256C6B00144172!opendocument) on Friday? I hear Bill Gates was most pleased...

And me, I spent the weekend playing solitaire/inkball on an Acer C102Ti. Really taking full advantage of the tablet capabilities and all :D

robo
11-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Good on you, JM.

Mike
11-11-2002, 07:17 PM
>>> Whatabout the news, re Telecoms new pricing structure. Thats
>>> gone down like the proverbiak cup of cold s**k.

What's it all about? I know nothing about it :D

Mike.

Baldy
11-11-2002, 09:10 PM
> >>> Whatabout the news, re Telecoms new pricing
> structure. Thats
> >>> gone down like the proverbiak cup of cold s**k.
>
> What's it all about? I know nothing about it :D
>
> Mike.

I am referring to the price for getting a new connection........ if you out of town slightly, you are looking at around $1500 for a new connection. Good ain't it

-=JM=-
11-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Do you have any links about that Baldy. It seems awfully high, unless you're including the payment for extending the phonelines.

Mike
11-11-2002, 09:42 PM
>>> I am referring to the price for getting a new
>>> connection........ if you out of town slightly, you
>>> are looking at around $1500 for a new connection.
>>> Good ain't it

Oh that's right - I think I saw that on Holmes a few nights ago :| stupid telecom.

Mike.

Baldy
11-11-2002, 11:09 PM
> Do you have any links about that Baldy. It seems
> awfully high, unless you're including the payment for
> extending the phonelines.

I was trying to find a press release JM. I think the increase was announced last week.

Someone in Central Otago was quoted $1500 to get a telephone connection (this was to a house they were renting while thier own home was being built, and they were told by Telecom that they would have to pay another $1500+ when thier other house was finished)

I have a feeling that the standard Telecom connection fee (in the Town/City) for a telephone is now around $90.......

Has Dick Turpin replaced Terresa Gatting as Telescums CEO?

Mike
11-11-2002, 11:21 PM
>>> I was trying to find a press release JM. I think the increase was
>>> announced last week.

The press release can be found here.

Note the bit that says Between 1000 and 2000 customers will be asked to make an approximately one third contribution to the cost of their new connection refers to the having to pay around $1000-$1500.

>>> I have a feeling that the standard Telecom connection fee (in the
>>> Town/City) for a telephone is now around $90.......

Only for new connections - not for reconnecting houses that have previously been connected (which is what most people do).

Mike.

Baldy
11-11-2002, 11:51 PM
I found the following on the ODT on-line edition.

Otago affected by Telecom fee

Rod Donald

By Jon Bassett and NZPA
A quarter of Otago households are in areas affected by Telecom's "rip off" increase in telephone connection fees, announced on Monday, Green co-leader Rod Donald says.

The price rise will result in new Telecom customers living in areas with a low density of homes - fewer than 1000 households - paying a minimum connection fee of $250. The upper limit of the connection fee has not been set.

Mr Donald said 24% of households in Otago were in low density areas.

"[Telecom is] ripping off rural families, who have no choice but to use Telecom because of its monopoly position."

Previously, Telecom charged $61.88 for a connection, except for country customers in isolated areas, whose bills for links to the network depended on the geography of their location and the infrastructure needed.

Telecom will now use Statistics New Zealand figures to break the country into three tiers - low, medium and high densities of households.

People living in medium-density areas of 1000 to 9999 households will see their connection fee increase from $61.88 to $250.

Towns in Otago with fewer than 9999 households include Queenstown, Wanaka, Cromwell and Balclutha.

Dunedin residents, judged to live in a high density area, face an increase from the previous fee to $95.

Introduction of the new system of charges is immediate.

The prices will be charged for connections to new homes and for second lines.

The changes were an outra- geous and a callous move by Telecom that took advantage of rural people, Mr Donald said.

Telecom spokesman Andrew Bristol denied Mr Donald's claims.

He said the price rise would reflect the true cost of connecting rural properties to the network.

"If we have to dig new trenches and get Resource Management Act approval, the customer will make a contribution to that. We can't continue to subsidise new customers to the extent we have been."

Mr Bristol would not say how much Telecom had spent on subsidies.

He also denied rural people and Central Otago residents would be paying for the demand on Telecom's infrastructure caused by housing booms in Auckland and other metropolitan areas.

"That's an incorrect assumption. It's Telecom which has been doing the subsidising. Our costs have increased across the board."

Mr Bristol would not say how much the costs had risen, but contributing factors included investment in the network, its expansion and increasing the capacity of exchanges.

Low density area customers would now be expected to pay a third of the cost of a new connection, he said. The exact figure would depend on factors including remoteness, the work required to provide a connection and money required to expand the local exchange.

Thursday, 7-November 2002

I have a feeling that when you shift flat/house, you will be "hit" with the connection fee - after all, Telecom disconnects the phone-line when a tenant or house owner moves out.

antmannz
12-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Well .... why should us city-dwellers have to subsidise the country folk that need 500 metre (or longer) trenches dug just to get a phone line in.

And I don't see TelstraClear jumping up and saying "we'll do it for less", because it's probably not economic for them - or anyone else for that matter.

* dons flame-proof suit * ;)

crozier
12-11-2002, 01:37 PM
My wife comes from England. I remeber her dad telling me that when they wanted running water to and sewerage from their farm (1930s) they had to dig the trenches themselves. Same for power.

I'm amazed that noebody saw this coming when Telecom went private. It's logical that city mice don't want to subsidise country mice. But it's understandable that the city mice get upset about it.

Let Auckland pay for it's own motorway!

Mike
12-11-2002, 01:55 PM
>>> I'm amazed that noebody saw this coming when Telecom went
>>> private. It's logical that city mice don't want to subsidise country
>>> mice. But it's understandable that the city mice get upset about it.

Well the Govt isn't happy, so the Telecom charges will probably go back to being same same for both country and city folk.

>>> Let Auckland pay for it's own motorway!

Fair enough, and let them stop paying for the roads in the rest of the country - or had you forgotten that Auckland's petrol sales make up a huge portion of the money that goes towards roading elsewhere in the country? I think it'll all work out to being pretty even at the end of the day.

Mike.