PDA

View Full Version : Where is yours?

Susan B
28-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Curiosity (or just plain nosiness) has got the better of me and I have to know: where does your computer/s live?

By that, I mean do you sit alone in your bedroom/office/study or wherever, or is your PC part of the furniture and family in your family/living room? Is it isolated from the rest of the household or within "speaking distance" from everyone?

My PC is in the family room so I'm not parked away all by myself in another part of the house. The children can also be supervised while they are using it. The older, less used one is around the corner in the lounge so that, too, is not isolated.

So, where is yours? :-)

godfather
28-08-2002, 10:41 PM
1-pc Office 1 (converted bedroom)
1-pc Office 2 (another bedroom gone)
1 Laptop pc - everywhere, but resides on LAN in Office 1
1-pc Backup in Office
1 (pocket PC) in pocket (where else)
1 laser printer - Office 1 LAN
1 Colour inkjet-copier-scanner Office 1

Still a few bedrooms to convert yet.....

dipstick01
28-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Was a two bedroom unit when we moved in....now a one bedroom and one computer room unit......and the wife is smiling

Graham Petrie
28-08-2002, 10:53 PM
Bedroom doubles as a mini lounge and mini office, so it's in the office in the bedroom :-)

G P

Baldy
28-08-2002, 10:54 PM
My computer is in the lounge where I have had to rearrange all the furniture to accomodate my corner computer desk(was thinking a about shifting to my bedroom when I had my lunatic flatmate who thought MY computer was HIS)
BALDY :-)

wotz
28-08-2002, 10:55 PM
Mine is in the family room. Wife still moans about only seeing my back. At least I'm in the same room!!!

merlin-nz
28-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Was three bedroom, kids left home wife and me in one, stuff from the other one into the third and I got the second one which is the smallest but then i dont need a lot of room.
The wife has no interest in computers so we are the length of the house apart. ;)

cheers merlin-nz ;)

-=JM=-
28-08-2002, 11:21 PM
Well MY computer is in my room. Had it for about a week now.

The other one which isn't quite mine is in the office downstairs which is by the kitchen.

Drawbacks of having one in my room: I miss out on food because I can't here the wrappers rustling to the same extent. Get less sleep as my computer is so close.

Benefits: it's MINE. :D

tweak\'e
28-08-2002, 11:28 PM
bedroom. part lounge part office part bedroom. old office now workshop/storage.

best thing is its easy to connect pc to tv and stero to watch movies off pc :)

J ZEP
28-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Ours are one spare bedroom turned into office (kind of), so main computer and accessories reside there and another spare bedroom used for laptop (i.e has the second phone line connection and desk) also sometimes take the laptop down to bed on the odd occasion. So nights lately consist of us (partner and I) in these separate brooms doing our separate things, on the 2 different puters, with me ending up on the laptop X-( cause he needs the specs on the big one for his gaming. Conclusion - we don't see much of each other @ night :-( - very anti-social aren't they (computers). Actually i wish that there was room in the lounge for the puter, a few friends have this setup, like susan, so they can be amongst the family instead of isolated - and i like that idea!

Pauline
28-08-2002, 11:38 PM
In the lounge. Quick access to the kitchen to make a coffee & it's warm by the fire.
Pauline.

olento
28-08-2002, 11:41 PM
by the breakfast bar- midway between the dining, kitchen and the lounge area My back is to the neighours.

sal 
28-08-2002, 11:52 PM
our computer (only one humble computer) lives in its own room in the middle of the house, not quite an office, not quite a lounge

grtz sal.
tga

Mike
28-08-2002, 11:54 PM
Family etc. live upstairs... garage and BIG computer room downstairs (need lots of room for all my gear)... really it's a spare bedroom (there's two beds in here) turn rumpus room... but no, it's the computer room :)

Computer spread across two large-ish desks and a big shelf.

Mike.

tweak\'e
29-08-2002, 12:06 AM
>Computer spread across two large-ish desks and a big shelf.

drool.....i wish. mines poked into the corner in a corner desk. cosy but to far away from the coffeeeeeeee!

Babe Ruth
29-08-2002, 12:16 AM
My computers are in my home-office along with the printers, scanners etc, my wife's computer is currently back in the same office. My son's have their computers in their bedrooms, essentially all are on the same 100Mbit lan but in separate domains (well most of the time).

Babe.

Terry Porritt
29-08-2002, 08:06 AM
Maybe there's just one advantage in getting older, you have these spare bedrooms after the lads have left home, and (eventually) you've managed to clear out the last of their detrius from shed (12 motorbikes engines etc), garage, loft, and bedrooms :)

Neil McC
29-08-2002, 08:19 AM
Tucked in a madeup unit between kitchen/dining room.Can see through to lounge so my wife can still talk to me!!When this one crashed a while ago had a borrowed one down in my office,which I wanted to buy,BUT,it was either her or the pc.Think it was the fact it was in another part of the house that triggered that response.

robo
29-08-2002, 09:00 AM
My PC and server in my office (in sleep out, get wet a lot)
notebook on shelf in office gathering dust (486)
SHMBO's is in a corner of the lounge.
I also have a Mac behind a la-z-boy in the lounge.

robo.

kiwibeat
29-08-2002, 09:15 AM
My T/Bird 1000 is Upstairs in a spare bedroom surrounded by disks and stereo equipment etc my older 400 is downstairs in the lounge doubles as a dvd ,stereo ,music juke box ,games machine ideal for the kids to play on or me when i want to watch tv at the same time as surfing

Greg S
29-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Wot a curious yet good question!

I tend to agree wi Su San's approach - my puter is in the living room, where it's an integral part of our lives - Ms does her study and work research from it, and I my web work, so that although we both spend a fair bit of time on it, neither of us is beyond hugging distance at any time. The other machine is in the spare room, where she'll work only if I'm online.

If I had children living with me this arrangement would also work, because really, computing has become a real part of life today, and having it tucked away in an office at home makes it seem a bit too reclusive. And of course wi all the grubby stuff online these days, using it in a shared, open environment shows that one isn't using it for dodgy purposes.

We've even got my gaming thing sussed, where I just use the headphones while playing, so as not to disturb her (waaaa! despite the fact that I now have these awesome TDK speakers! haha).

mark c
29-08-2002, 09:39 AM
The two comps I use are in the Library where I work as a librarian and also maintain the comps. They're in the admin room which is open plan so public can use this one. (I get very tetchy when people 'fiddle' with it.) Public access is a whole new thing, I closely monitor people until I feel confident they a. know what they're doing and b. if they don't they ask me.

antmannz
29-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Three of ours are in the lounge (it's a bg lounge, ok).

1. Cartman - AMD T'Bird in one corner, monitor on a small filling cab, in front of a leather recliner (hahaha - nothing like surfing with ya feet up), the case is quite a big tower so I can easily reach the joystick which sits on top.

2. Chef - Cyrix 233 in the other corner on a puter desk with the printer beside it. This is the one the kids tend to use for surfing, IRC, ICQ, etc.

and 3. Kenny - P120 sits beside Chef. Runs as a screenless jukebox with Winamp and an XML server plug-in. All three are networked.

4. Daughters Lappy travels around the lounge and tends to drape it's network cable drom one side of the room to the other.

5. A new (2nd-hand) acquisition sits in the spare bedroom/office awaiting a format etc, although it runs OK but has a lotta junk on it. It will probably stay there, but alas that means crawling under the house to lay some cat5.

6. Timmi - an old 486/66 which I'm not sure what to do with at the moment is also in the spare room. Thinking about maybe making it a DOS machine for all those old DOS games (any suggestions welcome as long as it fits on a 500 Mb hard drive).

As with several other posters, I feel it's far better to have your puter in the lounge where everyone can still talk and interact with the rest of the family. Unfortunately, my partner is not keen on having a racing seat installed in the lounge for those driving games :( Ah well, I'll keep working on her :)

Jams
29-08-2002, 10:42 AM
my AMD Athlon XP is in my bedroom next to my bed with a 17" flatscreen phillips monitor. im so lucky !!!! :) :) :) :) :)

wintertide
29-08-2002, 12:07 PM
1 room is converted into a study with a crusty P133 in 1 corner and my P200 MMX (15" monitor :_|) in the other corner (not allowed to have it in my room, can't have network cables put in on the second floor and not allowed to put it under the carpet!)
Third one (old 486/66 DX IBM with 17" monitor :o) in lounge. Gathering dust.
Laser printer with the 486/66, also gathering dust.
Inkjet connected to the old P133, along with the scanner.

Susan B
29-08-2002, 12:15 PM
What a fantastic and fascinating response, far better than I had hoped for! :-)

Aren't people so different? I personally couldn't stand being tucked away in a spare room or office by myself, away from the family or hubby, even though our kids spend a lot of their time in their bedrooms on the phone these days. And like wotz says, my hubby sometimes grizzles about seeing too much of the back of me but at least he gets to see that much LOL.

Now, who hasn't posted yet? Poppa John, Billy T, Parry, ummm, I can't think properly, I know there's heaps more. Oh, Bruce. Come on Bruce!

loser
29-08-2002, 12:16 PM
in my bedroom. I have 2 desks set up in an L shape, so i can shove the keyboard and mouse out of the way then I want to do s.... s..... s..... st....study. Coz that happens lots. ;)
The other guys in my flat sometimes come in and use it.
I also have an old 486 that I just inherited that is sitting ontop of the fridge that I use as a closet. I'm gonna do something with that one of these days.

Chris Wilson
29-08-2002, 12:45 PM
My 2 are in my office, which is located in a small inner city cave (with lots of pretty lites and a CD player)
Vanessa, the 98 box, sits on a desk, which over looks a Ferry Road intersection, the curtains are usually shut as this veiw has lost novelty value.
Sam the linux box sits in the corner of the room on a work bench where i keep the cable modem hub, and broken computer parts etc...
i live by myself for the moment, so my office is a geek paradise!

Iris
29-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Hope I'm allowed to reply.

Ours (mine) is in lounge. Hubby reads/catches up with paper work and finds computers far too confusing.

We can also watch what the younger members of the family are doing on it as well.

Afraid I really can't understand parents allowing their children to have one in their bedrooms and never checking up on what they are doing.

Have a happy day

Iris

Poppa John
29-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Susan B. Nag Nag Nag, now I remember why I am divorced & living in this big old 2 bed unit. Young G Kids play in Lounge. My B/room is big, computer, printers x2 & scanner on desk at end of big lonely bed. Antisocial I know but there it is. This is the warmest room in the house, North facing.
The one that intrigues me is the one in the toilet!!! As in "Sitting on my throne" & "Thunderdome" Poppa John ]:) ]:)

Ps Just as well we cannot Post pictures PJ

Jester
29-08-2002, 02:56 PM
My main PC is in the lounge - part-way between lounge and kitchen. It gets used by all in the family, and has replaced my CD collection for providing music to the stereo. I like that anyone can see what the others are doing on the PC at anytime. It is also good to be able to eat, get coffee and watch TV at the same time too!

The kids PC is in their bedroom. They can access the net on this one through the main PC. I use ProxyPlus internet connection software so the kids have to ask for me to run the program here before they get online, and I can monitor the connections through it so know what they are or have looked at.

We are moving soon, and whilst there is another room that I could put the computer in I don't like the idea of being locked away from the rest of the family.

Jester

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2002, 03:03 PM
2 Desktops in a computer room (Very messy with computer bits and stuff.... ;)) and also my laptop, right beside my bed (Where else??!!)

Susan B
29-08-2002, 09:04 PM
wintertide: Why don't you put the 17" monitor with the P200 MMX machine instead of the 486?

Iris: of course you were welcome to reply - never think you can't! :-)

Poppa John: I wasn't nagging you, I was inviting you to contribute. Big difference. Besides, don't you know that nagged/henpecked men live a lot longer than single unnagged/unhenpecked men? It's true.

And that's the second time you've put me on a toilet seat! Must be a fetish of yours.

You'll see my photo soon enough. And will be wishing you hadn't...

Jester: Now I know where that photo came from - your web cam! Of course, it all fits now. :D

Graham L, Parry, SonikAlien, Billy, Bruce and everyone else I've missed: I'm still waiting (not nagging, just waiting). ;-)

Sam H
29-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Mine is in my bedroom, where I can lie on my bed and watch music videos. The stereo is within an arms reach so that quite often gets cranked up while on online (listening to some Metallica at the moment :D). My bed is right next to me no less than a meter away, so I can fall onto it and go straight to sleep when I have stayed up playing games or surfing the net too long. The only thing that sux is It's hard to do overnight downloads because the fan keeps me awake.

Jen C
29-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Very fortunate to have a large spare double bedroom for my computer gear. Have everything spread over two desks with my 17" balanced on the usual telephone book (large Auckland size!). Mind you, with the normal fan noise my PC makes you really wouldn't want to have it in the lounge.

PS* Currently have a mouse (non PC variety) sharing the room with me <sincerely hoping that if ignored it will go away> :O

Susan B
29-08-2002, 10:02 PM
Is your room soundproofed Sam? :D

Jen, the mouse will be too comfortable to move, thank you very much. If you've got a trap and some fruit & nut chocky then put the two together and it's bye bye mouse... *gives a big shiver*

-=JM=-
29-08-2002, 11:30 PM
>>>3. Kenny - P120 sits beside Chef. Runs as a screenless jukebox with Winamp and an XML server plug-in.

may I ask why you have a server that dies every day???????

dipstick01
30-08-2002, 12:51 AM
lol Poppa John, speaking of which have a look at the picture I found for my site.

I'm not addicted (http://dipstick01.hostnz.co.nz/10.html#report)

antmannz
30-08-2002, 01:46 PM
> >>>3. Kenny - P120 sits beside Chef. Runs as a
> screenless jukebox with Winamp and an XML server
> plug-in.
>
> may I ask why you have a server that dies every
> day???????

:^O .... it used to die every day, while it was being used as a general pc - 2yrs+ of rubbish with kids trying to run Messenger, ICQ, 2+ browser windows, IRC, ZA & AVG on a P120, 48 Mb RAM with Win98 just doesn't equal stability. :)
Gave it a format, and now it's sweet - mind you, it doesn't do much now. Probably time for a name change you reckon??

sam m
30-08-2002, 02:41 PM
When I first got my pride and joy (1 year now) I tucked her away in the bedroom so kids (2yr + 4 yr) wouldn't climb all over it. Got nagged that I was spending too much time on computer so reluctantly moved her to lounge. Best thing I ever did. My partner now uses it to chat to friends via msn (saves money on tolls) and also have got 4 year old surfing as well (keeps her entertained and she is teaching the 2 year old). Safer in lounge and now family activity.

moral: The family that plays together, stays together.

sam m

Graham L
30-08-2002, 03:08 PM
All over the house. Minimum of 3 in each room. Routers, bridges, , modems, PABX, in Dexion shelving units, some computers on similar shelving. Some of the odd ones, like Osborne "portable", TI, NEC wordprocessor (DOS in ROM), Amiga, Acorn, Atari, Sinclair, are in "heaps".

One day the network cables will go through the ceiling space. I've got the patch panels in a rack, and that will look "efficient" one day. The nework is thick Ethernet, thin Ethernet, twisted pair. Some fibre optic bits and pieces, but not in use. A few bits of Token Ring gear, but not installed.

Biggles
30-08-2002, 03:11 PM
My PC is in my office, which is in my RV parked out front of the house. I've got wireless, GPS, and a 20MM cannon for office security. Here's a pic of my RV with a bunch of the neighbourhood kids trying to hog the shot.

Bruce's RV (http://deadman.co.nz/images/rv.jpg)

Chilling_Silence
30-08-2002, 03:26 PM
I'm same as Sam H, Jukebox all the way!!!! Winamp's good, but I'm currently trialling out NeroMIX, Very good results so far, plus it includes video support. Winamp 3 is okay, bit buggy, and it's still in beta, so that's its excuse I guess. NeroMIX is good because it is VERY integrated with CD-Burning, so even your playlist tells you how much longer youd have left, should you decide to burn it to a music CD!!! Lovely :) www.ahead.de If anybody's interested, well worth the look!
I'm using WinAmp 2.77 Sam, what're u using? I find 2.77 is the most stable so far... not the newest, but it works best for me!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Billy T
30-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Opps, Sorry Susan, I wasn't ignoring you, I just haven't had much free time lately. I have a huge backlog of work and the harder I try, the behinder I get! Bloody customers, they think that if they offer you money you'll take time away from Press F1!

I hide in the bunker (my home office) which according to the plans is a storeroom. That means it is windowless and much too small to be a dog kennel. I put a glass block "window" to give myself the illusion of contact with the outside world, consequently I can tell the difference between night and day, but not much else.

Within resides "old faithful" my trusty P166 (W98) that I cherish and nurture. On the floor is the young pretender, the PIII 550 (W2K) that gets occasional use when there is no substitute for speed.

The cupboard under the stairs hides my Libretto notebook (W95) that I take out on jobs and I've just bought it a PCMCIA network card so that it can join the network community.

My kids each have a computer in their bedroom for homework (no games, no ICQ, nothing even slightly frivolous = evil Dad) one a PIII 733 and the other a Celeron 700, both W2K.

Social contact is maintained by bellowing up the stairs when the noise levels get too high, and I have the usual comforts of TV, VCR etc for idle moments (brittle laugh).

One day when I pluck up the nerve to tell her, old faithful will retire to the "accounts" office upstairs as a print server and general dogsbody.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Sam H
30-08-2002, 04:24 PM
I'm just using Windows Media Player 8,

and Bruce, nice RV mate.

duckyduck
30-08-2002, 04:35 PM
Since I do a heap of work from home we converted a spare double bedroom into a office with both our computers in there along with all the usual printers, scanner, fax, paper........

Plus the trusty laptop that goes everywhere I go with my camera gear. I am surprised that it still works considering some of the places it has been and the treatment it gets.

Sus, this will be the last day I am posting for a while, was delayed hence back on F1 for couple of hours, probably be about end of October.

Biggles
30-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Oh, and this is my desktop (I'm not kidding, actually...). The little guy is The Major. He's my PA. You want to talk to me, you've got to go through The Major ....

Bruce's desk at work (http://deadman.co.nz/images/desk2.jpg)

Capital
30-08-2002, 04:51 PM
On a large desk in a mezzanine floor home office. Can see into the living area so not too far from the action. Great location with beer fridge, Sky, video, sound and a view outside for the sunshine.

Heather P
30-08-2002, 04:54 PM
I have dreams of a converted fishing boat in the paddock as an office (500 ft above sea level, it would be cool) but the other half just looks at me strangely. Work out of a study off the bedroom at the top of the house. I email the kids (down the hall) when I want them.

... and Bruce... I'm REALLY going off the idea of working in Mt Eden!

Poppa John
30-08-2002, 05:48 PM
Susan B A great idea for a thread, will probably upset the Purists again. Its like "Getting to know you" without getting too close, sort of. Good one Missus B
Re nagging, Gotcha, you byt!!! re toilet seat, I am waiting to see where you are sitting in your photo, in your Office as per Dipstick01 Post of Aug 30th? "I'm not addicted" !!!! Rude Poppa John ]:)

antmannz
30-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Chilling_Silence, I think you might be referring to me :D

Yep, I'm using v2.77 as well, not upgrading to 3 as I don't think Kenny will like it that much.

To be honest the only thing that would get me to change to any other player (for Kenny) would be if it has or supports a HTML or XML server. Reasons being that Kenny runs with no monitor, so all music choices and playlist manipulation are made through a webpage or HTA.

-=JM=-
30-08-2002, 09:44 PM
> All over the house. Minimum of 3 in each room.
> Routers, bridges, , modems, PABX, in Dexion shelving
> units, some computers on similar shelving. Some of
> the odd ones, like Osborne "portable", TI, NEC
> wordprocessor (DOS in ROM), Amiga, Acorn, Atari,
> Sinclair, are in "heaps".
>
> One day the network cables will go through the
> ceiling space. I've got the patch panels in a rack,
> and that will look "efficient" one day. The nework is
> thick Ethernet, thin Ethernet, twisted pair. Some
> fibre optic bits and pieces, but not in use. A few
> bits of Token Ring gear, but not installed.

/m3 wants you setup. That would be really nice to have lying around.

beetle
06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Remember this mum?????
:p

Wow now this was an interesting read,

How many are still here and how many have same comps or new comps in same place???? :dogeye:

beetle

andrew93
06-05-2005, 08:16 PM
All of my stuff is in my home office - 4 working pc's, 1 about to be scrapped pc, 2 working printers, 1 printer about to be sold, and 1 dead printer. Takes up 2 walls of the office (I dare not take a photo of the third wall!) Plus I have about 10-12 printers in storage.

Photo 1 (http://www.sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Office1.jpg)

Photo 2 (http://www.sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Office2.jpg)

Excuse the mess, hehe .... that's my desk in the middle - it's not actually that bad, you should have seen it a week ago!

Maybe I should put up a photo of the cable spaghetti under my desk.....

lazydog
06-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Two computers networked in my room.
computers (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/computers_046.jpg)
Would rather them in the lounge but the cook reckons me and the grandkids get to noisey playing Unreal Tournament. :D

Shortcircuit
06-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Mine's in my (new) office, which is pretty much where I live as I work from home... a fairly long walk to the coffee machine though, so I'm thinking of moving it to the dining room where I don't dine.

Greg
08-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Mine's still on my desk in the lounge. Missus' (laptop) is also in the lounge, on the coffee table.

donna
08-05-2005, 10:08 AM
One in my bedroom, one in each of the kids rooms and my laptop which follows me wherever I go.

Dannz
08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Special Computer room - im not allowed my computer im my room
1 in my Parents Room
1 work laptop

wintertide
08-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Computer now in my room (bwahaha parents can't stop me having it in my room now :D), but now it takes up 2 desks due to the 21" monitor... making a custom desk for the printers, server and computer to sit in though.

Edward
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
main computer in lounge

DSL router and secondary computer in my room

JJJJJ
08-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Originaly in the corner of the lounge. Then I bought an office desk. My corner got bigger. Then I bought a large bookcase. Corner grew. Then came the filing cabinet. Now my cosy little corner takes up half the room.
Still room for the TV and 2 lazyboys.
No room for visitors.
Not a bad thing. :lol:

ILikeLinux
08-05-2005, 04:59 PM
All my computers (not the laptops) live In a special computer room. No need for a fire, I just over clock them :P

personthingy
08-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Flaptop lives on my lap.... OK just sometimes! Normally the machine is by the bed.

My old windows machine is on a desk covered with junk waiting for me to get a round tuit. Theres another one in pieces also wiating for me to get a round tuit. ;)

ninja
08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
IN MY PANTS.

No seriously. Palm PDA ++