PDA

View Full Version : Distorted sound

Barry
23-08-2002, 08:49 AM
I am getting distorted sound from my PC when playing music CDs. I have:
Used headphones instead of speakers
Changed CDROM drives (one USB, one IDE)
Changed Sound cards (one Creative, one Yamaha)
Changed the CDROM to Sound card cable
Changed the PCI slot the card sits in.
Updated DirectX
Updated sound card drivers
Visited M/board mfr website for updates - none

Motherboard is Biostar M7VKB, Chip is Duron 600, 128 Mb RAM, OS is WinME.

Help

SoniKalien
23-08-2002, 10:17 AM
You don't say what program you use to play your CD's.

If you are using WinME's WMP7 then try upgrading to 8

Or use a different program altogether like Winamp.

roofus
23-08-2002, 10:32 AM
If when you meant distorted you mean that you are hearing little clicks. There are a couple possible reasons
1. your cd-drive is munted, throw it out and get another
2. Your hard drive is not the best in the world and the buffering of the cd-rom is giving you these clicks.
THere are a couple of remedies to this.
1. try enabling DMA on your cd-rom and harddrive. WHich you can do under my computer then clicking on properties of each component
2. Make sure that your cd-rom is on the secondary IDE channel and your harddrive is on the primary cd-rom IDE channel

I think this will probably fix your problem. Because you say you only have 128MB of RAM, which means that instead of your cd-rom buffering to ram its buffering to your slow harddisk, Enabling that DMA might just help.

Sam H
23-08-2002, 05:11 PM
> I am getting distorted sound from my PC when playing
> music CDs.

When you say distorted sound coming from you PC do you mean the actual PC it self or the Speakers? If it is from the speakers and the speakers aren't of good quality then it may just be because they cannot re-produce the high or low notes properly. This I find common with people (including myself) playing rap/hip hop , drum and bass and techno/trance music on cheap speakers, it is happening because of the amount of bass in the songs and the speakers can't cope with it. Try fiddling with the equalizer settings in Media player, or whatever you are using and reducing the amount of bass.

Hope this helps

Regards
Sam.

Barry
24-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Thanks Roofus

The distortion I get is that loud passages are clipped. Using Win Media Player's oscilloscope trace I can see clipping of the audio and hear the same distortion thru the speakers or headphones. It's as though the amplifier is overdriven. The same CD plays perfectly on my stereo and on my Mac.

Barry

Barry
24-08-2002, 06:19 PM
Thanks SoniKalien

See my reply to Roofus.

Barry
24-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks Sam H

See my reply to Roofus

SoniKalien
24-08-2002, 07:32 PM
If you're talking about audio CD's only, and not MP3's, then I can only suggest that you have a play around with the volume controls in Windows to reduce the preamp level. Look for a CD volume level slider. You may have to enable advanced options in windows volume.

17Hannah07
30-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Everytime I tried, my sound has become distorted. I just import a few CD's into Windows Media Player or iTunes, obviously not at the same time but each time I tried, I tried both programme's and still, after I have imported them, my sound suddenly becomes distorted.

Does anyone know why this might be? Or how to get rid of it?

Before I have just done system restore back to when I bough the laptop as have found no solution. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

zqwerty
30-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Double click the speaker icon in your task bar, adjust the controls so that they are all at about half volume.

17Hannah07
31-07-2007, 12:40 AM
No, still doesn't work. Sound is still as bad as before but lower volume?

zqwerty
31-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Can you try a set of headphones and see if it is your laptop speakers that have been damaged perhaps.