PDA

View Full Version : You must unload your debugger before you can run this program

Grant
10-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Hello,
You must unload your debugger before you can run this program.

Has anyone come across this message before with windows XP, I am getting when I try to run Duke Nukem Manhatten Project. At first I thought it might be the game but then it came up when I installed a different game as well. Have just recently reinstalled windows XP on to my system so it's a fairly clean setup, and am installing ALL off the windows XP updates, but with no success. Dont have any other programs installed, and although I don't have a virus scanner installed, it doesn't look like a virus.

I'm stuck???????

godfather
10-08-2002, 09:55 PM
A few possibilities...

Are you using "original" CD's to load off, or *copies*. If using copies of the original, its caused by incorrect copy due to copy protection software.

It can also occur if soundcard drivers are not correct, but don't ask me why! (Soundblaster card)

Heather P
10-08-2002, 10:03 PM
When you write programs you de-bug them with... a debugger. (Honest, it's listed up in the tools of the programming language).

Once it is debugged, then you compile it (turn it into an executable program).

Sounds like you have a problem program. See if an error message tells you which one.

It would also pay to run an anti-virus check - just in case the problem program is a badly written virus.

J ZEP
10-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Hi Grant, another thought does it change if you change the debug setting e.g if you have it ticked to debug now, does the message come up when you untick? No doubt you have tried this, but just a thought!
:-)

J ZEP
10-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Sorry disregard that i am thinking of something else - i should have read your post properly e.g its a program/game not working!! :8}

Grant
10-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Hello again,
I'm still having no luck, have tried uninstalling or stopping every program, windows component or anything that might be starting up when windows loads. The Duke Nukem Manhatten Project was installed from the original CD, although even that brought up the error I managed to work around it. My flatmate is running similar games on the exact same windows XP build with absoloutly no problem at all. Will have to look at the sound card as I see someone mentioned it might be. Right now I am installing a virus scanner but no that theres is no way in hell this is going to do anything.

I see that there are a few sights about where other people have the problem, but no one can specify what is causing exactly?

Cross your fingers, i might end up getting so frustrated that I punch a hole in the screen.

Heather P
10-08-2002, 11:18 PM
A quick look on microsoft.com for "You must unload your debugger before you can run this program XP" brings up 3 hits. Have no idea if it helps or not (I had a quick skim read only) but did you by any chance install AppVerifier in the installation?

microsoft site (http://search.microsoft.com/default.asp?boolean=ALL&nq=NEW&so=RECCNT&ig=01&ig=02&ig=03&ig=04&ig=05&ig=06&ig=07&ig=08&ig=09&ig=10&i=00&i=01&i=02&i=03&i=04&i=05&i=06&i=07&i=08&i=09&qu=XP%20You%20must%20unload%20your%20debugger%20be fore%20you%20can%20run%20this%20program&siteid=us)

J ZEP
10-08-2002, 11:58 PM
yep i did a quick google with reference to the problem in games and only got one with any relevance, but wasn't a Duke Nukem game tho, and doesn't really give much imfo but did refer to the copyright thing at the bottom too that GF mentioned, e.g safedisc in the search case.
Thought i had better try and make ammends for my embarrassing blunder earlier.
Anyway here the site not that it gives much of relevance:
http://www.ina-support.com/faq/civ3_pc.asp
Can't offer anything else, by the way is it an older game?

greenglass
11-08-2002, 07:18 PM
try this: open internet explorer, click tools> internet options, click the "advanced" tab. The 4th item in "browsing" should say "disable script debugging" simply tick the box.

Grant
12-08-2002, 12:37 PM
Just to let you guys know, I got sick of the problem enough that I re-installed windows XP AGAIN. And what do you know, the problem appears to have completly gone. Would still love to know what was causing it. I realise it must have a screw up with the save-disc thingy thats there to stop you copying cd's, but for it to come up all the time, even on already installed games as well as some installtion files???

Oh well, at least it's gone now.

Albundy
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I had the same problem with windows xp pro, when I tried playing C&C renegade. It worked perfectly though after i tried your suggestion, Greenglass. Thank you Dude

Laura
12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Welcome to Press F1, Albundy.

We sometimes joke here about new members replying to old threads (Did you notice it was August 2002?) so it's good to know that some of them still serve their purpose - even years later.